4 Month Old Kitten Grinds/crunches His Teeth

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is something I've not seen before. Hopefully someone can set my mind at ease. Fairfax, approx. 4 m/o male neutered foster kitten, happy, healthy, and obnoxious, frequently makes crunching noises with his teeth. I feel it's similar to teeth grinding in humans from a physiological standpoint except he is not doing molars or premolars only...I stuck my finger in his mouth while he was in the midst of doing it and got a puncture wound for my troubles. That says incisor or canine to me.
I am wondering if maybe he is teething? Only of 100s of kittens this age that have been through our house I have never seen this behavior before.
He is not unhappy or upset, in fact he frequently is doing this while being petted or soliciting attention from me. I will not be sticking my fingers in his mouth again while he does it.
I have examined his mouth though, no foreign bodies, no noticeably troubled areas like chipped teeth or inflamed gums. He doesn't even look particularly like he's teething, but perhaps they've not erupted yet. Mostly I want to be able to explain this behavior to potential adopters.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
hmmm, this isn't really what I was looking for because he's not really chewing on objects, just his own teeth, sort of...
How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

Does he have a tooth that came in at a bad angle and it's inappropriately grinding against other teeth? I'm wondering if you can get a video of it, because you know how things like this go, --he's at the vet and he won't do the behavior so the vet has to guess. But on the other hand I do think a vet ought to be consulted just to be sure there isn't something really out of whack.

I have read of people taking a (well rinsed if you use dryer sheets) damp-to-wet washcloth, rolling it and partially freezing it so a teething kitten can use that to chew on.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know but now I'm very curious! If you find an answer please update. If it were me, I'd email my vet and ask but I know not everyone will give out answers without seeing the animal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thought you should read this article (link below) on teeth grinding and discuss it with your vet for possible reasons for the behavior. It is not intended to scare you, but since it does state that teeth grinding can be from pain, I thought you ought to be aware of that aspect - whether or not any of the possible conditions actually apply.

Watch Out for Teeth Grinding in Cats: It's a Subtle Sign There's Trouble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thought you should read this article (link below) on teeth grinding and discuss it with your vet for possible reasons for the behavior. It is not intended to scare you, but since it does state that teeth grinding can be from pain, I thought you ought to be aware of that aspect - whether or not any of the possible conditions actually apply.

Watch Out for Teeth Grinding in Cats: It's a Subtle Sign There's Trouble
Thank you for the link. I have not noticed him doing it today so I'm hoping it's a transient thing, likely due to teething. If the behavior continues I will definitely have him checked out again by our vet. She did see him already, albeit briefly, for neuter and rabies.