4 Day Old Kitten

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we had a mom disown her own kitten. There was only one we could save. With that being said. This was an outdoor kitten and I am feeding it every 2 hours with kmr kitten formula. She’s getting about 3-5 ml every time. She’s eating very well, she’s active, she doesn’t wake up for food. But I do wake her. However just today she was pushing pretty hard and she had some diarrhea, then quite a bit of bright red blood. It seemed like a lot for such a small thing. I’m so worried I am doing something wrong. I have never done this before. So with the no sleep and now this. Idk what to do. Vets around me just say they can’t help, shelters said without the mom they would just put her down. I really have no where to turn. Please help.
Oh also she’s staying warm, I have a heating pad on med heat. With a blanket over top. She always goes to the bathroom when stimulated, this time she went on her own. This hasn’t happened before.
Also she is looking pretty raw in that area. I tried using a warm cotton swab and just tapping instead of rubbing, so if we have any additional tips I could do for that would be great. Honestly any tips… I’ll take as much as I can get.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Caring for Neonatal Kittens
This is from Alley Cat Allies and explains care for neonatal kittens
Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady
This is an excellent overall site for information about kitten care
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life - TheCatSite

Shelter Medicine – UW–Madison

The warm compress is fine and a little bit of coconut oil may help soothe it. Has the blood continued? Are you able to call any other vets, like a cat only clinic, who might have experience with neonatal kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Caring for Neonatal Kittens
This is from Alley Cat Allies and explains care for neonatal kittens
Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady
This is an excellent overall site for information about kitten care
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life - TheCatSite

Shelter Medicine – UW–Madison

The warm compress is fine and a little bit of coconut oil may help soothe it. Has the blood continued? Are you able to call any other vets, like a cat only clinic, who might have experience with neonatal kittens.
Thank you for the info!
so we haven’t done the next feeding yet to see if it continues. It just happened. I had tried calling some clinics in my area. There really isn’t any cat only, but the ones I did talk to said they wouldn’t even see the kitten or give any advice until 4-6 weeks of age. Now this is after calling maybe 8-10 of them in a 30 min driving range. There is a larger city that may have some. I’ll have to try them tomorrow.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the info!
so we haven’t done the next feeding yet to see if it continues. It just happened. I had tried calling some clinics in my area. There really isn’t any cat only, but the ones I did talk to said they wouldn’t even see the kitten or give any advice until 4-6 weeks of age. Now this is after calling maybe 8-10 of them in a 30 min driving range. There is a larger city that may have some. I’ll have to try them tomorrow.
what kmr do you use? Do you have any other kmr or goats milk to get? Sometimes a swich in kmr helps with constipation and such...
Can you get raw goats milk?

Lets hope the blood was because she strained to poo...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. You know what to do if there are more constipations?

Among other, get her to relax and poo with help of warm water... There are several techniques.

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what kmr do you use? Do you have any other kmr or goats milk to get? Sometimes a swich in kmr helps with constipation and such...
Can you get raw goats milk?

Lets hope the blood was because she strained to poo...
It’s the kitten milk replacer newborn to 6 weeks.
I am not sure where to find raw goats milk however there are quite a bit of goat farms near me. I am not afraid to ask if I can’t find it any other place. lol
As for the poo we had the next 2 feedings about to do another and she hasn’t had blood thank god! She hasn’t pooed as much as she normally does. And it’s now a mixture of solid and watery. But normal brown colored. No dark or light red blood colors.
To answer your other question to I do not know what to do if she is constipated. Could that have been what happened? That poor baby did push so hard and even let out a little grunt.

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s the kitten milk replacer newborn to 6 weeks.
I am not sure where to find raw goats milk however there are quite a bit of goat farms near me. I am not afraid to ask if I can’t find it any other place. lol
As for the poo we had the next 2 feedings about to do another and she hasn’t had blood thank god! She hasn’t pooed as much as she normally does. And it’s now a mixture of solid and watery. But normal brown colored. No dark or light red blood colors.
To answer your other question to I do not know what to do if she is constipated. Could that have been what happened? That poor baby did push so hard and even let out a little grunt.
Oh and I have tired the warm water. I have used baby wipes, q-tips with warm water, she did once have poo all over her an I did a quick rinse of just her very bottom in warm water and immediately dried. Honestly as weird as it is she seemed to like the running water. I just don’t like to do it because of course she is wet. But there are times her back legs and tail are just covered. Is this also normal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what brand exactly is of that kmr?

if you find raw goats milk its good; it too comes from an alive momma.

and there are seldom problems with it

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Oh yea I’m sorry it’s the brand petAG
I am going to look into getting some raw goats milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am going to look into getting some raw goats milk.
PetAg is good; at least their powder version. The ready made liquid version isnt as good, and may cause constipation / loose poo problems.

PetAg KMR powder to dilute is pricey but reliable.
They have now also a version based on goats milk.

But as said, can you get raw goats milk its a good tip - you can if you wish, dilute the powder with goats milk.
Not the usual 1:2, but 1:3

Shaunib2311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am going to look into
PetAg is good; at least their powder version. The ready made liquid version isnt as good, and may cause constipation / loose poo problems.

PetAg KMR powder to dilute is pricey but reliable.
They have now also a version based on goats milk.

But as said, can you get raw goats milk its a good tip - you can if you wish, dilute the powder with goats milk.
Not the usual 1:2, but 1:3
thank you for that!
I am using the liquid premixed one. So I was able to get some raw goats milk and doing that now. However she now is getting a hard belly, and the poo if very mucus-y, and diarrhea like. Should I now be more concerned of the belly?
she still isnt pooping when stimulated. She’s peeing but will then go poop after she falls sleep.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am going to look into

thank you for that!
I am using the liquid premixed one. So I was able to get some raw goats milk and doing that now. However she now is getting a hard belly, and the poo if very mucus-y, and diarrhea like. Should I now be more concerned of the belly?
she still isnt pooping when stimulated. She’s peeing but will then go poop after she falls sleep.
Its not as she has a real constipation, as the poo is diarrhea-like.
I interpret this as she tensions up by some reason. And so, keeps the poo... And lets it go when she relaxes sleeping...

I suggest you try with the warm water treatment. Either you simply submerge her lower half in warm but not water.

Or lying her on your hand, head to you, let warm water fun down over her lover half, and tap her with forefinger on the behind. It feels as momma licking...
Its a fairly sure technique... Our long standing forumist Catwoman707 teached this trick.

Train some first, because its somewhat tricky...
And make sure kitten doesnt get chilled off...

Continue with that raw goats milk - which shouldnt have neqative consequences if its taken in good hygiene.
Add perhaps a drop of two of simethicone - the same as for human babies.