4 cats - how many litter boxes should I have?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never understood why folks have so many litter boxes.

We  have 3 cats and only one ,extra large plastic tote, lid off and a cut down section on one end to make it easy for them to enter. It`s in a coat closet that also has a kitty opening my Hubby cut in the door so the cats can get to thier litter. I scoop 2-3 times a day (kinda know thier potty-habits) and the one box for 3 cats works great for us. They don`t seem to mind at all.

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a large litter box on the market.  You can get it at Petsmart.  It originally started out as a dog washing thing but I guess the manufacturer got smart.  It is pretty big and the sides are relatively high.  It's a little heavy to move around with cat litter in it but my cats seem to love it, except for one cat that will not use a litter box at all.  At my cat sanctuary I use Steralite 55 gallon boxes.  The sides are high so if your cat has problems getting in the box, you can cut down one side.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 boxes for 3 cats.....2 at each end of my trailer.  I used to clean them 2-3 times a day, but since switching to raw, once a day is plenty.  I had 3 boxes for a while, and they were going outside the boxes some of the time....added the fourth box and it stopped.  All the boxes have biodegradable, clumping corn litter, which they seem very happy about.  I also took the tops off all the boxes, which they seem to prefer.

Last edited:

annabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also use a large Rubbermaid tote for Smokie - she's big!  I walked into the bedroom while she was using the litterbox we had previously and she was half in - half out - not a very comfortable looking thing.  She has no trouble jumping in over the side, but when she gets older and has a problem we can always cut one side down.  Now she's a jumper and a climber and has no trouble getting anywhere she wants to get - no matter how high!

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and 6 litter boxes. It may seem excessive but its a big place and there are 2 boxes on each floor. I do clean them everyday.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an up to date photo of the steralite tubs that we use. Again, our Toby would pee standing straight up so we had to use these. Now he is gone :-( but they are still pretty helpful. 

We cut a hole in one end and ours is tall enough so we can leave the lid on and allow lots of room for kitties to get in and out of there. We'd put the hole in the middle but the area where we have the box is narrow, so we use it at one end- but when I had foster kittens and a box in the foster room I cut a hole in the middle of that box so kittens could come in and out in groups LOL. 

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone on this board said somewhere that an 18 gallon sterilite box is big enough for 2 Maine Coon cats.  I hope that is true, and I got it right..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Someone on this board said somewhere that an 18 gallon sterilite box is big enough for 2 Maine Coon cats.  I hope that is true, and I got it right..
If you have two cats I would recommend getting at least two boxes.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been VERY lucky with my 4. I never had to transition them from litter to crystals to litter to pellets - they just use what is in their bin - and they don't have issues using the same box. We live in a two-story and had two boxes going for awhile - but they all used the downstairs one so I cleaned the upstairs and put it in storage for when I have a sick cat I need to separate them. It's going to be a huge change if I ever add a cat that becomes territorial about their litter!

sadie66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes just for hygiene sake for them, yes the yes they say 2 per  cat, , but you have 4 cats, so if you could get say 4 lrg ones that may work just don't want them getting anything and then sharing , itwith the other 3, right gd luck

diana leonard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you should have 1.5 litter boxes per cat since you have 4 you should have at least 6 litter boxes! clean daily!  hope this helps