4 babies

Shadowsmomma36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! So, I have a question. We have, in the last month and a half, adopted 4 kittens, 2 sets of siblings. We have a male/female set who are 17 weeks this week, and we have a female/female set, who are about 13 or 14 weeks now roughly. They all get along amazingly, sleep together, everything. Here is my question. I have an appointment to have 3 of them fixed next week through a low cost transport clinic and they have no more spots open for that day to add the 4th, who we got just a couple weeks ago. I know the 3 will end up coming home with different smells and could cause the one to reject them or be hostile. My question is, will they eventually get the bond back they have now? Also, will it be safe to have them sleep in the same enclosure like we do now (they have plenty of room and even room for a litter box but they chew on wires and we do it for their safety til they get a little older). I just don't want the one to attack or rip stitches out or anything...any ideas would be great!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know some people report recognition issues after vet appointment or medical procedures, but I've never had issues. I've had two of my cats boarded for over a week due to medical issues (at separate times), cats going together or seperate to vet appointments, cats with cones of shame and even casts without any of the others having issues with them either during or after. The only thing I've had is the cat who has the medical issue being touchy while medicated or for a few days after anesthesia. Kittens tend to bounce back from change pretty quickly in general so I'd think they would be less likely to have recognition issues.

I'd be more worried about them hurting the others stitches while playing or grooming each other's stitches too much. Since you have 3 females that will be three sets of tummy stitches but it depends on the vet if it will be an inch or a few inch incision. I only have one female, when she was spayed I just kept an eye on her when she was playing to make sure the boys didn't bunny kick her when they were playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shadowsmomma36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They don't play in the enclosure normally. They know when they are put in there it is bed time but they're only in there for like 9 hours. Since they're kittens I don't see them having a huge incision but never know. I was going to have them get a pain and inflammation shot that would last for 48 hours to help with pain and inflammation. Should I still get them that or, what would everyone else do?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to worry about bond disturbance with kittens, because any disturbance would be a blip. If you want to be cautious, rub them all down with a blanket/towel before hand, and use that to rescent them when they come home.

Do make plans to separate them for at least the first day and night. It depends on the medication used, but the last time I had a cat spayed, they were high as a kite the entire rest of the day, and 3 drugged out kittens in the same pen is likely asking for trouble. Technically, vets often say to separate them for much longer, especially for females, but as Kieka Kieka mentioned I think many people just try to use a rule of reason. Just be honest with your vet about how difficult it will be to separate them and you'll hopefully get some real world guidance.