4.5 Month old male kitten vomiting brown foam

candacerene12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I rescued a male kitten "kenny" when he was 4weeks old. He is now 4.5 months old and I just had him neutered 5 days ago today 03/10/24, he has been perfectly fine the past 4 days until today, he has been eating and drinkingnormal and using the litter box as usual, he has eaten today as well. Today He has been lethargic and sleeping, he has thrown up 3 times a brown foamy liquid. His incision on his scrotum is not inflamed and it also doesn't have any pus or liquid except a tiny amount of blood, I called my vet and she told me to bring him to the ER VET ASAP. I am concerned but also trying to get ideas if this is an emergency or just a reaction to medication or anesthesia? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!! Below is a picture of the throw up! Sorry for being graphic.

Attachments

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet said take him to the emergency vet and that is the only advice you will get here too. Listen to your vet and get him to the ER so they can figure out what’s wrong and help him. It’s an emergency. Brown vomit can mean internal bleeding. Lethargy and sleeping lots is a huge indicator something is really wrong too, especially if he wasn’t doing that the first few days. If it is a reaction to the meds or anaesthesia that is still an emergency too. Kittens can go downhill really quickly, listen to your vet and take him in please.

makomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take him to E-Vet. One, your vet is correct. Two, brown coloration in vomit can indicate internal bleeding.
I work with cats as a vet tech. Cats are very good at hiding illness and injury, behavior is the key to finding something is wrong. Lethargy is nothing to belittle. Cats/kittens can go south really fast do to the hiding of their illnesses.
Please take him in now.

Hi, I rescued a male kitten "kenny" when he was 4weeks old. He is now 4.5 months old and I just had him neutered 5 days ago today 03/10/24, he has been perfectly fine the past 4 days until today, he has been eating and drinkingnormal and using the litter box as usual, he has eaten today as well. Today He has been lethargic and sleeping, he has thrown up 3 times a brown foamy liquid. His incision on his scrotum is not inflamed and it also doesn't have any pus or liquid except a tiny amount of blood, I called my vet and she told me to bring him to the ER VET ASAP. I am concerned but also trying to get ideas if this is an emergency or just a reaction to medication or anesthesia? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!! Below is a picture of the throw up! Sorry for being graphic.
🙏

makomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping answers and treatment plan figured out for you! Will be awaiting an update.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candacerene12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news, turns out $1200 later he had a bad stomach ache, likely due to the pain medicine my vet gave me when he was neutered. I am thrilled that nothing serious was going on, the vet did 3 xray pictures to verify nothing was obstructing his intestinal tract, a full blood panel, rectal exam, scrotum check from neuter and subcutaneous medicine for hydration and some nausa meds! He is doing 1000% better since we just got home, thank you all for your help and advice, I know now if my vet says go to the ER then I better just go!

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
A tummy ache!? What a little drama king! Wont lie I thought something was really wrong given your description of him. I’m so happy he’s OK and that’s all it was but I’m so sorry for your wallet too lol, thank you for being diligent, it’s always better to be safe than sorry :redheartpump:

Did they talk to you about probiotics or anything to help his stomach (if he still has to take the meds that are upsetting him so much)?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You may want to look into pet insurance as your bill is sadly not atypical of vet costs today. Kenny is young which is on his side as far as rates go and this episode might only be a temporary exclusion if it does not recur.