3rd Urinary Tract Blockage. Going In For Surgery :(

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just dropped my 3 year old boy off with his 3rd blockage. Vet says it’s time for surgery.
He has been eating script food since August when he first had the blockage. What could be causing his urine to be sludge?
He drinks distilled water out of a fountain and he has 3 other bowls around the house.
He hates the hills S/D. I’ve only been giving him cans. We switched to blue buffalo WU. He started to hate that so vet recommended putting a little fancy feast mixed in it to get him to eat it. We’ve done that for a week now and today he couldn’t pee. Vet tried to extract urine and couldn’t.
My concern is what is causing his urine to be so messed up? Surgery won’t fix the studgey urine.
I’m so upset. I cannot figure out what on earth the problem could be. Why does this keep happening?
In June he had a bladder infection. That’s when all of this started. Blocked in August, blocked in October and now blocked again. I’m devestated

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Blue Buffalo contains cranberries, which can be problematic for some cats prone to blockages. The cranberries are usually used to adjust pH, but cats have no pathways to break down the benzoic acid in it, so it can crystallize in the urinary tract when it is excreted. Some cats are very sensitive to cranberries, others do just fine with them. It might be worthwhile to try a urinary food without cranberries and see how it affects his urinalysis.

The surgery usually prevents any further blockages, even though it doesn't solve the underlying issue, so at least your cat will be more comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Ok. Thank you.
Vet told me last time that Dalton’s urethra was extremely narrow. I searched around and didn’t really find much info or reviews on B.B. WU.
I just called the vet 2 days ago and said I was concerned because he wasn’t peeing as much on the WU. Vet said he’d be fine and some cats just don’t pee that much.
This is a nightmare roller coaster. I was going to bring him to a hollistoc vet tomorrow but he blocked today.