3 year old cat with sudden late stage 2 kidney disease

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat William started having litter box issues where he would urinate outside of the litter boxes not long after we introduced two new kittens into the household. (Figured it was territorial) I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with cystitis. We made a bunch of changes, including diet, and introduced gabapentin, it seemed to get a little better. Unfortunately before long, it got worse again. Over the course of the next few months I took him in more than once for lab work, which included testing his urine. Eventually they suggested clomicalm, and he took it for four weeks, which brings us to last week when I took him in again for lab work to make sure the comicalm was having no adverse effects. The very next day they called with the results and said his labs were indicating late stage two kidney disease. There had been zero evidence of this over the last few months each time he had labs. We are now tapering him off the clomicalm, he had X-rays and an ultrasound, (summary in attachment) and he is scheduled for needle aspirates on Thursday. I guess I’m just looking for any advice as to how much I should put him through to get to the root cause, if any. I’m also curious if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar. It seems to have come out of the blue and I’m so sad and worried for him. I’m attaching the latest summary from my vet as well. Thanks for any input/advice!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ive had three kidney cats, and never knew it until they were in late stage 2 or maybe even stage 3. This is something you don't usualy notice until you see them drinking a lot more, or losing weight, or both.

My cats didn't have pain, even on palpitation, so I'm wondering if something else is going on...maybe kidney stones? I guess that would have shown up in the ultrasound though. Hoping the aspirate will show something. I must say also, none of my cats ever had an ultrasound or aspirate. They got blood work done and it showed cleared that their kidneys weren't functioning like they should be. We did feed them wet food with lots of extra filtered water added to it, and did give them sub-q fluids. Also did go the Miralax route, as kidney cats do tend to get constipated. They also tend to have over acidity in their tummies, so we gave Pepcid A/C for that, and ued an appetite stimulant to help with that part of it.

It seems your Vet is definitely on top of this. For your own education, here is a website that was always my "go to" for anything kidney related. I would check it out before contacting my Vet, just so I would know what they were talking about. You might find it helpful:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response. So I had his labs reworked on Friday after being off of the clomicalm for the last few weeks and there was zero evidence of kidney disease. The vet said it must have been a strange reaction to that Med. he’s still urinating outside the box though, so they started him on Prozac. Hoping it helps and has no ill effects.