3 Weeks Year Old Kittens Are Puking

Unreacheabledreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 7 kittens 3 weeks ago
She's still breastfeeding them, and i haven't tried to actually start feeding them canned food or something for they're too young
But ever since yesterday, two of my kittens have been vomiting a white substance and have been having diarrhea
I don't know what to do
Can someone please help me?
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Typically, if the kittens have not yet been transitioning to canned food (which can cause both vomiting/diarrhea), then the next likely suspect is worms. This is especially true if the mama has not been on any kind of de-wormer, or if these kittens are outside.

A fecal sample should be taken to your vet to see if there are worms involved, and of so, the vet can give you a de-wormer to use on all of them. If the fecal test comes back negative, your vet will likely be talking about blood testing for potential viruses.

If I were you, I would be taking a fecal sample to the vet pronto! Dehydration is also an issue, so the sooner a treatment can be given the better.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are mom and kittens inside? Can you keep them in and away from intact males?

Please let us know if you’d like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic near you.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could;ldadd some Kitten Milk Replacement (powdered form) to the pedialyte for some added fat and protein for the kittens.

Feed the momma cat kitten food, meat or kibble. Plus a saucer or two of KMR a day, all to provide her with the extra fat and protein she needs as long as she is nursing the kittens.

Keep us updated please!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, combatting dehydration is extremely important! I would do plain, unflavored pedialyte (i like the commercially prepared solution diluted 50/50 with warm, bottled or filtered water but in a pinch, you can use a homemade recipe such as the one on www.kitten-rescue.com). That will allow their little guts to settle down. If they start to crash, you can rub clear karo corn syrup or honey on their gums to keep up their blood sugar levels. A bit of coconut oil or plain petroleum jelly on their sore bottoms can also be comforting.
There are parasites and viruses that can cause those symptoms. You could ask your vet about giving them an antibiotic in case it is a secondary infection.
I would offer a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock in one corner of their nest.
Mega prayers and vibes that they all get better soon! .... and try to not feel overwhelmed :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unreacheabledreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are mom and kittens inside? Can you keep them in and away from intact males?

Please let us know if you’d like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic near you.
Yes I'm keeping them inside
And it would be great if you could help me up with that

Unreacheabledreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could;ldadd some Kitten Milk Replacement (powdered form) to the pedialyte for some added fat and protein for the kittens.

Feed the momma cat kitten food, meat or kibble. Plus a saucer or two of KMR a day, all to provide her with the extra fat and protein she needs as long as she is nursing the kittens.

Keep us updated please!
I looked for KMR for the kittens, but no one sells them in my city, so i have no idea where to get it

Unreacheabledreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, combatting dehydration is extremely important! I would do plain, unflavored pedialyte (i like the commercially prepared solution diluted 50/50 with warm, bottled or filtered water but in a pinch, you can use a homemade recipe such as the one on www.kitten-rescue.com). That will allow their little guts to settle down. If they start to crash, you can rub clear karo corn syrup or honey on their gums to keep up their blood sugar levels. A bit of coconut oil or plain petroleum jelly on their sore bottoms can also be comforting.
There are parasites and viruses that can cause those symptoms. You could ask your vet about giving them an antibiotic in case it is a secondary infection.
I would offer a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock in one corner of their nest.
Mega prayers and vibes that they all get better soon! .... and try to not feel overwhelmed :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Alright then, thank you very much!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
until you find KMR, you can use the recipe at our fellow member Hissy's website: www.kitten-rescue.com. I use goat milk as my base because some kittens have trouble with cow milk products, including whey. If you can find a 4Her or FFA student who keeps dairy goats, fresh raw goat milk is excellent but right now I am using the powdered goat milk from Meyenberg that sells for $9.95@ Amazon. I am very careful to rinse the raw egg yolk in cold water to remove all traces of raw egg white (the albumin in egg white is hard on the kidneys). And I avoid using unfiltered tap water from municipal systems because the harsh chemicals used in water treatment plants are also very hard on the kidneys (as recommended by my own urologists).
If you can find a farm fresh source for eggs, you can ask that the eggs not be washed, only rinsed with plain water - that preserves the natural protective coating that keeps bacteria from entering the egg (using bleach & certain harsh cleaners removes that barrier and can allow salmonella & other "gunkies" to get inside. If the washed eggs are fertilized and incubated, the forming chick sometimes dies from disease before hatching :disappointed: ).