3 Week Old Orphan Kittens

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I am fostering some 3 week old orphan kittens for a rescue in my area. They are my first fosters so young and I seem to be doing well. The woman who found them looked after them for a week but was not able to continue care. I picked them up yesterday.

She was feeding them from a syringe and on their backs...I have since switched them to bottle feeding on their bellies. She also was not cleaning their faces and fur after feeding and now they have VERY VERY crusty faces. It looks uncomfortable for them. I am wiping them with baby wipes after every feeding but it still looks very bad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is an article that may help, Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life. Additionally, the Kitten Lady has some great guides and videos online that can help, Saving Kittens.

The feeding on the bellies is the correct method. The lack of cleaning their faces could have just caused some irritation or there may be an under laying infection that got root. It would be best to have a vet asses to make sure you are following the right treatment method.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Regarding the baby wipes - is the ingredient list short, and super mild as in unscented, alcohol free, hypoallergenic etc, like Honest Company Baby Wipes?

Can you instead take a warmed somewhat damp (with water), thin cloth and gently hold that on the crusties and see if you can get the crusts to gradually loosen from the skin?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, use a warm damp soft wash cloth to soften the crust and eventually remove it.

How are the kittens doing today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are doing fabulously!!! They have put on quite a bit of weight and are looking healthy! The crusty faces are getting less and less crusty haha!

I am only worried about the littler. I had put out a pan of regular clumping cat litter and they went to it not problem. Then I read online that it wasn't great for them - especially if they tried eating it. Last night I switched to a kitten friendly litter made with recycled paper. I am afraid they won't use it. This morning someone peed on the floor (lined with puppy pads). Not exactly new - this happened once or twice before. I am just worried they don't like the new litter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, what little dollbabies!

As I understand it, as long as the litter is non-clumping it should be ok. These thread links has a little bit more info
Worlds Best Cat Litter Safe For Kittens
Best litter for 3 week old kittens

I've read that some people have good luck with putting some potting soil in the box, but I will have to put a caveat on this one since I'm not sure that's ok for kittens, but sand that doesn't have any chemicals in it is good.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use clumping litter as long as they are not eating it. It does sound like they do not care for the paper litter.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My little orphans are about 5-6 weeks old. They range between 530gr and 580gr. A few days ago they had started chewing the nipple a lot and fussing at feeding. A vet tech suggested that I begin weaning so I started mixing canned kitten food in their bottle. They seem fine with it but when I make a gruel and try to make them taste it - they seem horrified haha. There is one that actually ate a little on her own but the rest would not even lick my fingers. Or their faces if I put some on!!! Sometimes they still fuss at the bottle and don't eat much at a meal (as little as 5ml sometimes). The generally catch up again at the next meal though.

I am just worried I am doing something wrong or that they don't like this flavor of canned food. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just leave them to go at their own pace??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as everyone is gaining weight and eating enough, it sounds like just regular growing pains. Usually, they will see Mom eating and be interested because she “says” it’s good. Those I’ve known with orphans have said that once one gets going good the others will usually copy. Maybe if you have an adult cat that the kittens are exposed to feeding the adult where the kittens can see will help?

Here are some links that may help.

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own
Weaning

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hang in there! The kittens probably just need another week. Continue offering the gruel on a plate and in the bottle.

Also leave a dish of dry kitten chow down. They will eventually learn to snack on it.

You can also try Gerber turkey or chicken baby food. Kittens usually love it!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you try putting some of the wet food on the roof of their mouths? Sometimes that helps them get a taste for it. And I agree about the baby food! You may want to give it a try.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! Thanks for all of your suggestions. In the past I have tried to find baby food that is purely "Turkey" or "Chicken" but they just don't seem to carry it in any of my grocery stores. I can occasionally find Turkey and gravy or a mix of chicken and potato but never just plain meat. Even the organic section is a bust!

I don't want to force them to eat too much. They really don't like me trying to cram food in their mouths so I don't bother. They do get some on them but other than the 1 kitten - they are less than impressed with the whole thing.

I just worry about them having enough to eat in general. The smallest one didn't want to eat her 1:00 meal...she had only 5 ml instead of her usual 15-18. She was more interested in playing, apparently. She did jump from 484gr to 532gr since yesterday so I think she is doing ok!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s the Gerber meat only and “gravy”. There is nothing but meat, water, and cornstarch in it - no garlic or onions.

Gerber does not put spices in baby food.

So this is the product:

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today I brought the kittens in to be looked at by a vet. I was worried about 1 of them in particular who hasn't been herself. She has been sleeping more than usual and eating less than usual. Her weight is slow to go up but is going up a little. I figured having a vet take a look would be good.

He agreed that she seemed a little tired and had a very, very slight fever but nothing to worry about. He gave me his hours for tomorrow and said to bring her in if she takes a turn. I brought the monsters home and they all took a nap immediately.

About 30 minutes ago everyone woke up! The little patient looked awake and refreshed and was playing in her bed. I made a bottle and she got up to have some. She was limping!!!!! She hasn't fallen since coming home - she has hardly moved since being at the vet!!!! She played for a little, had a small bite to eat and is sleeping again. I am FREAKING out!! She is going back to the vet first thing in the morning!

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I have been googling ever since!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like calici virus. You definitely need to take her back to the vet for antibiotics and cortisone. Most kittens recover from it. It’s also very contagious, so the others may get it too if that’s what it is.

Here is a recent thread with a similar problem:

6/w Old Siblings - Front Legs (arms) Paralyzed

Here is info on calici virus:

Feline Calicivirus Infection

Please keep us posted!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!! She was at the vet today and he seems to think she is fine. Her fever is gone (and it was just a small fever yesterday) and her weight is back up. She has no respiratory issues at all and clear eyes and nose. She does have a limp on her back paw. His concern is for an abscess but has not found any swelling. I did notice that she was moving a little better than last night. He has recommended keeping an eye on her for the week and if there is no improvement to her walk, he will order some x-rays.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend said she had a little tumble yesterday before I took her to the vet. Forgot to mention that earlier. It wasn't from very high but it wasn't a graceful fall onto ceramic floor with a lip He didn't think anything of it until I mentioned her limp this morning. So at least the mystery of the limp is solved, I think.