3 Week Old Kittens - Will They Survive?

wheezie123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

I'm involved in animal rescue in Turkey which operates a TNR (trap, neuter, return) programme and someone neutered a mother cat today. What they didn't know is she has kittens which are around 3 weeks old and can't be found. The vet has said because the mother has milk, she needs to be away from the kittens for 7 days or there is a chance the kittens when they feed, will open up the neutering wound.

We are going to have to release her way before that or the kittens of course will die. How long can they survive without her? Should we release her after 24 hours or can they survive maybe 2 days without her?

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends how old the kittens are. I'm not sure about what age they could be left alone for days, but if they are really young 24 hours might be too long.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I see they are 3 weeks old! Missed that, sorry. I'm really not sure then. That sounds really young, they are probably getting all of their nutrients from mom and she is the one grooming them and stimulating them to poop and all. I think over 24 hours would be too long, I'm not sure if even 24 bourse would be too long though. Can you release her then follow her back to her kittens? That sounds hard, you might not be able to find her again. A tracking device would be helpful. Hopefully someone else has some ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wheezie123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks BlueJay for replying.....we are thinking to release her tomorrow once the anaesthetic has worn off. If we do it today, she could get run over or injured in some way if she's too woozy. The others that we've trapped have shot off so quick when released it would be virtually impossible to follow her, especially as it's rural where we got her from. We'll never find her again for sure. I guess we just have to release her tomorrow, hope the kittens are ok and that her stitches hold out too! It's a real worry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wheezie123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Keika........it's kinda what we're thinking too

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her stitches should be fine with the kittens nursing. I wouldn't worry about that. I agree that it's not a good idea to release her when she's woozy and confused from anesthesia, but I would release her as soon as she seems alert and able to fend for herself. The kittens need her.