3 Week Old Kittens Coughing

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am the foster for a young cat and her 6 babies- they are about 3 weeks old. One of them has been coughing for about a week. I couldnt tell which one it was until today. He is coughing and sounds like he has the croup, like a bark. I called the vet but cannot bring him in until tomorrow. Poor little guy cant get comfortable. Any advice for today and tonight to keep him comfortable? My foster told me to try to bring him into a steamy room from a shower, may help. Can I put some vicks and boil some water to see if that will help him breathe or is vicks dangerous? Brainstorming here... Thanks in advance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would try the steamy room, but i would not use any kind essential oils, or vicks for the cat. I dont know if its safe or not, i just dont think i would risk it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I googled vicks and cats. Sounds like it would be toxic! dont do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the same info. The kitten was moved to another home with someone who can offer more care and so other cats around. I just noticed today that the moms eyes are watery like she is crying and one of the babies is sneezing a little bit. I hope they are all not coming down with something.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try with L-lysine. It doesnt work against all cold viruses, but for some it works. One of the few things which bite somewhat on a virus!

And is harmless as I know. K kittymom527

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will the kitten be returned when it is better? Better in the long run for him to be with mom and siblings while he is young.

Let your shelter know that the others may be getting sick also.

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the kitten should return soon. Although now the mom is sick. I started the mom and the 5 other kittens on an antibiotic 2 days ago. The poor moms eyes are so watery, she looks miserable. I know she is struggling but also still taking such good care of her babies. I am hoping the medicine starts kicking in. She has had 4 doses so far,(2 days) and nothing has improved.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should begin seeing improvement soon. What are they taking?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good the entire family is on antibiotics now. You can always call your vet and ask how long it should take to see improvement. You can also try steam treatments to help break up the congestion. If possible steam treat everyone at the same time. If you start seeing eye gunk that is yellow or greenish color in anyone in the family contact your vet because this could be a sign of a possible eye infection. The vet would be able to get you an antibiotic eye ointment or drops if this happens. You want to treat this issue as quickly as you can if it happens. Also keep an eye on mom to make sure she continues eating.

Last edited:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like mom needs terramyocin for her eyes! You should start seeing improvement soon!

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the vet. I brought the mom who seems slightly better today and one of the kittens. The kitten meows all the time like hes hungry and will not eat. He has been coughing and stuffed up. They gave him some fluids and told me to up the antibiotic slightly. I have tried to syringe feed him but he is so mad and totally refuses. I am afraid I will hurt him or stress him out too much, but he has to eat. I think he cannot smell right now so will not eat. Any ideas??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did they do for mom?

What did the vet say about feeding the kitten?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of the kittens got sick. I have one now that is losing weight. He is all stuffed up. He tries to eat but dont think he is getting anything. I tried feeding him with a syringe and he goes crazy and refuses it completely. I dont know what to do.
The mom is finally better. This is day 10 on antibiotics. They need to see the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You at least need to get the kitten who won’t eat to the vet. Can you do that?