3 Week Kitten Not Gaining Weight

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Newbie here, every search I do leads me to your site so seems like a good advice, hope I can benefit from.
Unexpectedly my cat had kittens (she was supposed to be spayed!) The runt has never been a great feeder, putting on only a gram or two each day. She also is a very fast breather. Vet checked and she is happy with her, feels as she gets bigger breathing will get better.
Anyway 4 days ago I wormed her with a 3day panacur course, and since she hasn't put on any weight. Actually she loses, then gains a little back. Her brother is putting on 10-20 grams a day.
She does suckle, though can get knocked off so I keep repositioning her/ mum so she can get to get nipple. She also sucked hair/ toes not the nipple! I've tried feeding her kitten formula but she won't accept and gets quite agitated so return her to mum (doing according to videos with body level).
I don't know what else to do to help her, any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens this young do not need worming, especially a runt with feeding problems. If mom has passed on worms through her breast milk, those worms would show up later when the kitten is a bit older.

This kitten definitely needs supplementing, and needs to begin to put on 6-10 grams a day.

How have you been feeding the kitten - bottle or syringe?

Kittens with a mom will typically reject hand feeding, so using a syringe is best. Once a kitten realizes that the syringe has yummy food in it, they will take it willingly, although it can take a few feedings to reach this point.

Wrap the kitten in a towel like a burrito with only the head sticking out, and hold the kitten on its tummy with head up as it would nurse from mom.

Using a tiny 1 or 2 mL syringe (no needle), put it into the kitten’s gum and squeeze a few drops slowly allowing time for the kitten to swallow and breathe in between. Eventually a kitten will begin to suckle the syringe and the process will go faster.

Use only powdered kitten formula or full fat goats milk - never premixed formula.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding

How much does the kitten currently weigh?

Let us know how this goes! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for advice. She weighed 78g at birth 3 weeks ago and up to 160g now. She has put on 4g since this morning, but will likely of lost by tomo I think as that's what's been happening, think it is overnight she suffers.
I've been trying her with syringe, she moves her head out the way and screams, so I stop give her to mum and she suckles.
How much should I aim to feed her per session if supplementing?
Thank you :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, she’s not even six ounces and at 3 weeks she should be double that (10-12 ounces).

You’ll need to hold her head still gently with your hand. Remember that you are in control, not the kitten.

Can you supplement her during the night? Even once would help.

I think you should supplement her 1mL every 2-3 hours during the day, even if you have to wake her up.

As she learns to take it well, you can increase the amount and lengthen the time between feedings.

It might take a week to get to this point though, as this kitten is only the size of a healthy newborn right now, which is worrisome.

Can you post a picture of the kitten please?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not putting so much in her mouth at a time. Kitten bites. Yes, you're syringing the food, but she has to swallow which means there has to be room not only at the top of her throat, but at the enterence to her stomach. I found this made a huge difference when I was tube feeding an adult cat. Tiny bites, even though it's liquid.

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks both, I gave her 1ml 1.5 hours ago, and another 2ml just now. So will keep doing that every couple of hours.
My worry is either overfilling her, or stressing her or mum out and making things worse. But will keep doing every couple of hours. I just wasnt sure if should be waking her or letting her sleep!!
Vet was happy with her / her weight, as long as kept putting weight on, hence why I'm worrying now!
What photo angle did you want?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s great she has taken this much already!

Keep this up and she will begin putting weight on nicely. Eventually, when she catches up to where she should be, she will not need supplementing.

Any angle - preferably so we can see the face and size of this cutie will do! We love kitten pictures! :)

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah got ya! Thought you were looking for something specific!! Here's little and large.
And good news she has put on 15g since yesterday mornings weighing. I've gave her 5x1ml additional feeds, the rest she's done herself :-) will keep giving her 1ml feeds, doesn't seem a lot but she fusses with anymore. Thanks all

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
23_3_36.gif
to TCS Gstar and your lovely kittens. I have followed this thread with great interest and wish to congratulate you on the marvellous job you are doing and encouraging results obtained with the little runt of your mom cat's littery. Thank you for the enchanting photo. Have mom and the little runt a name?

Last edited:

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she has only put on 2 grams in this morning's weighing, which is a little disappointing - especially as I gave her 7ml of feed so I guess that it was only my feeding that she got, rather than Mum's milk?
It so frustrating watching her trying to feed, she isn't very good at getting to nipple, and I'm trying to move her brother about so she can get to her nipple but isn't always easy! Then Mum wants to groom her (probably as I'm handling her) so knocks her off the nipple! And mum spending less time in nest too. Arggh! How people cope with more than two kittens I'll never know!! She is quite sweet and learning how to clean herself, but I keep saying to her feed the nipple is free!! haha
I can also feel that while his nipple is heavy and has lots of milk in, hers not so much (as he is demanding more so more going there) I try to get her on his when he is sleeping etc but she won't take it!! (he's putting on ~15g a day)
The good news is that she is becoming much more accepting of being handfed and will take 2mls sometimes more now each feeding. I keep offering until she cries/ refuses and that brings mum back so can get her on nipple. (thanks for saying to keep going and that I'm in charge not the kitten really helped me to keep trying!)
I am a little concerned that rather than supplementary my feeding will be her main source? as she'll stop suckling so much so there will be less milk for her??

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the photo. She is adorable and her eyes look so strong and expressive! Are you trying to latch her to different nipples? If her brother is gaining weight it means that their mom should have enough milk. Right? Are you supplementing mom's feeding?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bottle babies do grow up and do well. They do even better if cat-mom is there to wash, cuddle and teach. Bottle feeding your kitty is not a bad thing.I'd go on and supplement every two or three hours. Kittens can't hold much and they use calories up pretty fast.

I've read that kittens get specific nipples after the first two or three nursing sessions with mom and they really don't like to change to another. This is probably one of those help the strongest survive, so some will survive. If that's true you are doing amazingly well. Logic for those too young for logic almost never wins over instinct. Bottle feeding is compassion's win over instinct. (Mom cat seems to think it's a good thing.)

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. I have tried a bit to get on her other nipples (they've both chosen two next to each other hence the struggles if Mum is one left side she an't get to hers) but no success and when I squeeze the other nipples there is no milk so think she's sticking to that one she has chosen!
Mum has kitten food wet/ dry and when I am feeding little one also feed Mum the kitten formula too - she loves it out of a syringe too!! and keeps her distracted/ lets her know I am feeding baby not poisoning her haha!!
Just had a lovely moment with little one, she was asleep but needing feeding for time and I was going out, where she was lying cuddled up with brother was in a good position to feed so offered syringe and she opened and started suckling. Took 3mls this time and all done very contentedly. Just praying she is putting on weight and growing/ developing normally!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wonderful. When she finds these natural positions don't forget to burp the baby. It's possible catmom does that when washing her. Sometimes you can hear the burp and sometimes just feel it.

Gstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had to go out for 3 hours, weighed her on return and she has put on 8g since this mornings weigh in so pleased with this :-) Then she took almost 4ml so that was good too.
I do give her a stroke all over, though haven't specifically been feeling for burps - but I will now. Mum is also very good and grooms/ licks their bottoms a lot. And because kittens watch everything Mum does and copies she was licking her brother behind earlier hehehe!
Thanks so much for all your encouragement and advice I really appreciate it all!!