3 More!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have more than 5 cats in the house? And if you do how do you deal with it? We are most likely going to gain at least 2 more maybe 3......

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 10 cats, but they are only all in the house in the winter, though to be fair winter up here lasts about 8 months, lol.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of "how to you deal with it". Each of the cats seem to have their own friends and areas of the house that they claim as their territory. I live on an acreage so during the summer and on warmer winter days (above about -10C/14F) most are indoor/outdoor cats. We do have the occasional squabble, especially when it's cold outside and they are all stuck inside. It's a lot of scooping litter boxes, but I am home all day so it's not that bad. I free feed, not ideal I know, but any other way just wouldn't work for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! And I thought going to have 8 was bad....Where we live we cannot let them out cause people around where I live kill cats for fun....Guess I will just have to deal with it. Cannot bare the thought of having to tell her they have to go to a shelter it would kill her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently 2 indoor adult cats, 1 outdoor mainly cat (at least since the kittens came) and 3 itty bitty baby 3 month old kittens. How? Well one kitten has a home lined up. Other than that, extra litter boxes/food bowels/toys/scratchers & cleaning out the litter boxes twice to three times a day.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 5 (3 adults and 2 kittens) cats at once before and it's hectic. Lots of different personalities and temperaments mixing isn't fun, especially when they do not mix in a harmonious way. Sometimes, they compete for your love and affection. Not pretty. On top of that, it's taxing financially. If one gets fleas or comes down with a serious illness, depending on what your financial situation is like, the rest will suffer in some way or another. My wake up call was when I couldn't even feed all of them an adequate amount of food. Of course, they never starved but I was compromising way too much. So now it's just Felix and I and we prefer it that way.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! And I thought going to have 8 was bad....Where we live we cannot let them out cause people around where I live kill cats for fun....Guess I will just have to deal with it. Cannot bare the thought of having to tell her they have to go to a shelter it would kill her.
Would building something like a catio be an option? Basically a cat proofed screened in porch or area. It can sometimes help if they can at least get out of each others ways and get some fresh air for a bit. One cool idea I found online is using wire cube storage kits to make a outside enclosure. How to build your own catio from Cat and Caboodle It shows a lot of different ways you can set them up.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would building something like a catio be an option? Basically a cat proofed screened in porch or area. It can sometimes help if they can at least get out of each others ways and get some fresh air for a bit. One cool idea I found online is using wire cube storage kits to make a outside enclosure. How to build your own catio from Cat and Caboodle It shows a lot of different ways you can set them up.
No that's not an option I wish it was....Got to be honest I regret ever taking in those three strays I have now...But I have nursed them back to health and watched them grow like little weeds. It would kill me to have to get rid of them. But the way I see it now at least 2 maybe 3 are going to have to go.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 8 for a long time. They were all house cats, no going outside.

One fell out of a low window (6 feet above the ground) that had lost a pane of glass. At night, black cat, no flashlights. He didn't answer when we called. We found him the next day in the light about two feet from the window. After that I counted heads several times during the day and always at twilight. I also kept and keep working flashlights. Another incident, that involved putting them in cardboard boxes and securing with tape, made me buy and keep enough carriers to move everyone at once if need be.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 8 for a long time. They were all house cats, no going outside.

One fell out of a low window (6 feet above the ground) that had lost a pane of glass. At night, black cat, no flashlights. He didn't answer when we called. We found him the next day in the light about two feet from the window. After that I counted heads several times during the day and always at twilight. I also kept and keep working flashlights. Another incident, that involved putting them in cardboard boxes and securing with tape, made me buy and keep enough carriers to move everyone at once if need be.
Yeah we need to get more carriers for sure if we are going have 8 in the house.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another hint and an annoying one. We thought maybe one of the carriers could be big enough to hold three cats. No, do not try this. Yes, the carrier is big enough, yes, the cats actually like each other, frequently sleep curled up together, but They will NOT go in the same carrier at the same time. Every time you push one in the one inside slips out. It's worth the money to get the other two carriers.

You could get one large carrier as you save up the money for more carriers, but never quit trying to get those carriers. Small carriers fit better in the car. And cats get heavier in carriers cause you have to hold them away from your body. 10 lbs cat + 4 lb carrier = okay.
10 lb cat +11 lb cat + 9 lb cat + 6 lb carrier (cats are shifting and pacing) = staggering, unless you are gym fit and tall.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have 10. Started with 2 blacknwhites tuxedo kitty's adopted from the shelter had them 3 years and a third black and white tuxedo joined us last Feb after we were unable to find his owner. Last April I trapped 6 babies (all black with yellow eyes) in my back yard. Had been feeding the very feral mom for a year and she brought them to me. Took 3 to the shelter and they did not have room for the other 3. By the time they did it was too late because we had attached to the last 3 babies. They were semiferal and we socialized them. I was unable to part with them. So then this past Sept feral mama brought me 4 more. I eventually trapped them as well and they have been in my bathroom since mid November. They are also semiferal and we have been socializing them as well. The shelter was full but now has room for them but I don't think they are ready to go there yet. Biggest thing is the scooping. I have currently 4 litter boxes and feel like all i do is scoop and we do go through quite a bit of kitty litter. Other than that it's not bad. We have been super lucky as they all get along great (the current 6). I have not introduced my bathroom babies as they have not been vetted yet. Feral mama had an appt a couple weeks ago to get spayed but has been MIA for over 2 weeks now.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I have 9 and like kitty mama, they are rescues we couldn't find good homes or rescues were fill.
First 6 were mom and kittens. Then #7 came along. Took a bit of work. He likes to chase the girls. Now 2 from last summer. (2017) can be devils when they want. Hyper and bullying. Dealing with that now. Even in a multiple level home and 6 plus rooms on 3 different levels. They still fight.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multi levels help. Do you have a door you can shut between the rowdy one and the rest? If so, can you cut a section out of it and put heavy wire over the hole to let them get used to each other. I've see this work, and I've seen it fail in my own house.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Multi levels help. Do you have a door you can shut between the rowdy one and the rest? If so, can you cut a section out of it and put heavy wire over the hole to let them get used to each other. I've see this work, and I've seen it fail in my own house.
Well I could close the gate. Kinda splits the areas in half. But hate closing off the others. And he can be good for awhile. Then gets like hyper or pushy. Wants to either play or dominate the others. Even the other cats seem to piss each other off. But Levi and Lillian (#8&9) are usually the instigators

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't start it, you really can't blame him for finishing it. You'll never convince him that's wrong. You can't convince children that's wrong, it makes children feel like sacrifices to the manners gods. Cats just don't believe you.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't start it, you really can't blame him for finishing it. You'll never convince him that's wrong. You can't convince children that's wrong, it makes children feel like sacrifices to the manners gods. Cats just don't believe you.
Which one? It's usually levi. The others are push overs. Not used to anyone but litter mates. Except Zane. Who has been her for about 4 or so years

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well tomorrow is the big day when 3 more come our way...Man I am dreading this with a hellish passion.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but it does sound as though they are trying to work out their hierarchy. If you need peace, M momof3b1g pick up either the offender or the victim, whichever is easier, and let them take a rest in another room. Then you could take a rest, too. My mom always said having children wouldn't be so bad if they'd only take their naps at the same time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scat Man Scat Man , yep, that should change the dynamics a bunch. Will wait in awe to read what happens. Sending distant peaceful energy.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we brought them home yesterday...They are hiding behind furniture and will not come out to eat or drink...I am guessing they are just scared and stressed out...My five other cats will not leave our bedroom so this as them stressed as well...