3 Months Old Kitten, Feverish

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peaches is still with us! She's bitey and jumpy. Two days ago she got feverish (39*C) all out of a sudden. Everything looks okay- poop, pee, appetite. She drinks great, too.

Took her to the vet yesterday, did a fecal smear (came out clear) and blood test. Her white blood cells were really high in the 31ks and her red blood cells were a little lower than the benchmark but the doc said it's not considered dangerous yet. She said she has some sort of a tummy infection or parasite and prescribed some panacur and vitamins. Since she had a history of worms (being picked out from the streets) she said probably there's some other type of worms hanging out in her tum.

She's still feverish today and a little lethargic. I'm so worried. Has anyone gone through this before?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not gone through this, but wanted to let you know that someone should be along soon to help out. Sorry you're going through this with your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's still feverish and lethargic, but she eats, drinks, poops, and pees well. We're continuing medicine. The current theory is that her worms bit her intestine and caused a wound that got infected. Still very worried.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Are they giving sub fluids to keep hydrated? Maybe a different antibiotic or other medicine? Glad the eating is still good. You can try giving syringes of water to keep hydrated. I don't have experience with worms-the other question is-where you are is it hot? Some cats don't handle heat very well. Do you have a cool place to keep her cool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Foxxy! Thank you so much for the reply.

No, the doctor didn't give sub-q because Peaches is drinking very well on her own. She was prescribed some anti parasite capsules along with the panacur. I also give her some appetite supplements after consulting with the vet - she eats well, but has to be cajoled into it first (and would only eat from the palm of our hands). Today I've added a small bit of bene-bac gel to help her good bacteria. Hopefully this helps her intestine heal better.

We keep her in a shaded part of our home with cool pads (my rabbit has one) under her bed. She also has a water bottle to lean to. Yesterday night we moistened her fur with a damp cotton pad to help her cool off. I think we'll do it again later.

I'm worried because we're scheduled to go for a trip to our hometown for Raya in two days. Thinking of boarding her at the vet's for the days we'll be gone. I wonder if she'll be very stressed about it :(