3 Failed Adoptions

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was baffled two days ago when I came home and found GIFA my cat sleeping at the door. The thing is she was adopted a week ago by a family that lives about 3-4 Kilometer from my home. This is the third time she has been adopted, ran away and came back home. I can't even begin to understand how she is always able to find her war home in my crowded turns and streets filled town, avoiding all the cat hating and "kill it if you see it" people that make up my society.
The previous family that adopted her before now had to let her go rejecting the refund I offered. And they all lived a maximum 2KM distance from me.
How is she able to always tear through and find her way back every time.?
Will I ever be able to get her a family. She is just a year and 6 months old, and my litter has increased by 3 new kittens. Now all she does is stay indoors she won't even want to be carried outside even by force... She will just scramble back inside climb up to the wardrobe and stare at the new born kittens all day. And I taught she really loved her new home, the kids are fun and she is very social, playful and loving. What's wrong?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though she wants to stay inside and to live with you. Is that possible?

Can you get your cats spayed? That would allow you to control the number you have, and to make sure that everyone has a great home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut is right, it does sound as if she has really bonded to you and wants to stay where she is.

Why not try to rehome the new kittens? They can be adopted when they get to 12 weeks old, it's usually easier to find homes for little kittens than it is for an older cat. Maybe the families that adopted Gifa would like a kitten instead?

I think if you get all your cats spayed and neutered and work on giving Gifa the loving home she craves with you everything will work out better.

Last edited:

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
What is your reasoning for wanting to rehome her? She sounds like she really bonded with you and has worked so hard to stay.

If you must rehome her I’d look for an elderly person who cannot leave much or someone who will similarly spend time with her constant and consistent to help build up the bond she needs.

But if you’re capable, id consider keeping the sweet thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan
Thanks for your response. I love your suggestion for rehoming the new team guys.
@Talkingpeanuts
Right now we are just staring at each other tryna figure this out. I'll go with rehoming the new kittens. I don't really know how to tame Gifa's addiction to any thing long, slender that can conduct electricity, which is how to describe 40% of things I own. I can't be too safe with her... She enjoys chewing and citing them in pieces more than all the toys I got her. Someone asked me to get her her own wires from the local ships but I feel I maybe encouraging her by doing it. This is the only fight we have apart from her always tryna rub her butt in my face

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyRoyale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamakitty&me Mamakitty&me
Wires make up for "most things commonly found in my house" which in turn is the thing she loves the most. Chewing them, rolling in them, tangling in them, trying to drag the around, fighting and having arguments with them. It's the best thing ever for her. And I can't be too careful. She even can't wait to let my guests loosely handle their earphones and chargers before she steals and enjoys it. I don't know how to deal with this. Outside that, I love her
Am also afraid she may get electrocuted

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We painted all the wires with pepper sauce or hot sauce. Use the red colored sauce if you can find it. We used q-tips and art paint brushes. If you can't get pepper sauce try products that prevent chewing. One is bitter apple, there are others. Be sure you can open the windows when you do, some are over powering. You can also buy covers for your wires -- others will give you more details about those.

Most cats hate pepper sauce and the no-chewing products.

You probably won't have to 'paint' your wires more than once, but I'd do it again in a month just to be sure.

Remember if you re-home her the other family may not spend much effort on protecting their wires from her, they may not realize the need or believe it, and she could be electrocuted there. Such a tragedy not only for her, but for the family who might never risk having another cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more suggestion. If you can get duck tape - the tape used in construction to connect heating ducts, you can use it to cover wires by taping them to the floor or wall.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like you have a mutual love of wires and that's the bonding and the issue, combined.

Protect the wires, using the hot sauce, lemon juice or safe housing you will deter her away from them. But do embrace your bond by giving her attention elsewhere.

This cat has come home 3 times now, it doesn't want just anyone. She wants you.

I agree giving her dummy wires is not a solution, that will just enforce that it is ok to play with wires. I agree with Kflowers as well that another family may not watch so closely and she may run into harm.