3 Cats Same Litter?

WJB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys if you read my previous post you know I adopted 2 kittens and have a one year old male. I have 3 litter boxes set up... One in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, and one in my bedroom. They are all only using the kitchen litter. I guess they prefer that area. Is it okay if I line up two boxes in that area for them to use or is that a bad idea? I'm wondering because according to Jackson galaxy that's a bad idea and you should have multiple spots? I would love at the end of the day if we had one spot designed for litter boxes so it's easier to sweep up every few hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WJB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if this is a dumb question I've never had 3 cats but they needed a forever home and I wasn't going to let these babies end up in a pound.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I think the idea of three separate spots is that if one cat feels uncomfortable, or if another cat is using it and they don't want to go so close together, or if there is a reason for litter box avoidance there is another location they can go.

That being said, compromises are made for human living. We had one litterbox for two cats in our one bedroom because there was so little space. It worked fine. Now we are in a big house with three cats and four litterboxes, and our new cat pooped on the floor (we think it was her being startled by another cat and not knowing where to go) so we added a fifth litterbox to the room in case that solve it, and it did.

You can try putting them all in one place, and if someone starts going someplace inappropriate you may need to address that with a new location for one of the boxes. And I would think it was too risky if the cats have trouble getting along. But if everyone is friends, you can give it a try.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the end of the day; every cat is different and the dynamics in every house are different too. If one spot works for your crew; then I would just move them there. Or maybe put 2 there and leave the third in another spot for now to be sure they will accept it. :)

My boxes are both in front of the washer and dryer. So that gives you an idea of how big my "laundry room" is. It's been fine. The only times I've had issues were when one of my actual kids was in the way of a cat who takes diuretics reaching the box (aka a kid was walking down the hall). ;) :rolleyes: It works for us. If things change; we will find another spot too. :)

Khali14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are no silly question when it come to litter boxes! At the moment we have 5, for 4 cats. They spend a lot of time in the closed porch during summer so we have two smaller ones there, and they use them a lot. The one they use most is the big one near the steps, maybe because there's more privacy? My cats are quirky, lol.

If your kitties use the same litter box, then just make sure it is cleaned up as often as you can, and it is a good idea to put another one in the same room, maybe that's where they feel most comfortable to do their business. There are no two cats alike so who knows if their needs will change over time, but you're already doing a great job :)

Congrats on giving kitties a forever home! We saved 5 over the years and they make the best companions.