3 Cats, Biting Behaviors, And Ptsd Symptoms

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since our 3 cats live together I am sharing their problems together in case you have insight to one's behavior impacting another/ interrelated.
I'll refer to the cats by their ages 1,2,3. The 3yo had at least 3 homes before ours (shelters & owners). He has become less skittish but is very cautious personality. He has grown more confident over the past 15 months. We havent been able to identify causes or consistency but he will get the biggest poof tail we've ever seen within a sec of whatever is scaring him. When he gets the poof tail he seems in a zone like ptsd. sometimes if i can get close enough I can pet & talk to him until it goes down. However, when he plays with 2y.o. he often goes to poof tail rapidly, doesnt seem to grasp regular play & is aggressive & 2 howls running from him crashing into things, hiding or jumping on me. It seems to have gotten worse since 3 & 1 have become closer. 3&2 aren't as close now. It seems 2's confidence has diminished & he will walk backwards to avoid 3 at times. 3 is very muscular & stronger than any cat I've had, I dont think he knows his strength. 3 has started trying to carry 1 around by the neck. 1 will allow it but start crying in pain, sometimes running away (only to go back to 3 again). 3 doesnt get poof tail when trying to carry 1- it appears loving action. 3 also has extra long teeth so we imagine it hurts. We've consistently been trying to figure out the poof tail & keep thinking it's chemical imbalance but wondering if anyone has experience on this?

With 2 he's always been a bit of a biter, we've tried many cat & dog toys to redirect the behavior. Only recently though he will bite us- hard- often when I'm sleeping or going to sleep he'll latch on to my arm or leg. He has his claws but it reminds me of how declawed cats act. only thing we can see differently is 3&1 closeness and 2 maybe lonely/bored so bites us 4 play? We have tried traditional methods but for example last night he bit me hard and I couldnt yell ouch or i'd wake my husband. I immediately hid my arm. 2 has always loved people but seems more affectionate now. hubby noted when he's upset he often seems to calm down being with us.

1 is a kitten, he loves playing with both 2 &3 and having them clean him. however lately he follows 3, sleeps with him, etc. i know different personalities bond and it's not my fault but i feel really bad for 2 because he's so social and seems shut out from 1 &3 which didnt used to be the case. I want to get him to stop biting us, be happy and confident and I'm wondering if 3's ptsd &/or chemical imbalance is the antecedent to all the troubling behaviors in the house. I also hate that 3 gets so terrified for what appears to be no reason. 3 trying to carry 1 is cute but I'm constantly checking the boys for battle wounds from teeth or claws. WE've given 3 stuffed animals to try to get him carrying those (but 1 is carrying them, ironically).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry I didn't see your post until today! I would never, ever want a member here to feel that their voice wasn't heard! I've managed to have "only cats" all my life, but I do remember some articles that might be of help. Let me go see what I can find real quick.

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

I hope that at least a couple of these will give you some directions to go! Please keep us updated on this. I'm sitting here a little weepy over poor 3!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to a multiple cat household, once you get past introductions there is little you can do to affect who builds the best relationship with who. Some cats just bond more with a particular cat. As long as their relationships are cordial and there is no fighting then you need to let those relationships evolve.

I have never seen an adult cat try to pick up another adult cat. Grabbing them by the neck to groom them is a dominant kind of thing but trying to carry them is a bit odd. The young kitten will fight back though if it is actually being hurt.

I adopted my girl Willow from a shelter when she was a year old and she also suffers from PTSD. In her case she was feral or partially feral to begin with and then suffered through a failed adoption that left her fearful and distrustful. She has those periodic bouts of terror for reasons only she knows. All you can do is continue normal routine and let them calm themselves but it does make you feel sorry for them. We have tried Feliway but it didn't help much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the articles. I read them all & reminded me of some stuff. I've used JG stress formula & feliaway before but still have some of JG so will start that again. I've been reviewing their survillence to see if I can identify triggers (none we can tell). But when playing with them 3 stays back & passively plays while 1&2 jump around like crazy. Thinking we should have 1on1 play time with 3.

I found the attached pictures of 3s tail normal & poof in case this sparks anything for people.

1502948946369.jpg
1502947519534.jpg
1502947512514.jpg