25 day vacation help deciding

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with the above, even if they seemingly get along with the other cats, some cats will show their displeasure by marking their territory. Ultimately you would be disturbing the dynamic of both parties and chances of someone spraying are much higher then if you just leave them home.

When I was little and my mom took me to the cottage we left our cat at home and she was perfectly fine with my grandparents coming once or twice a day to feed and water her and do litter detail and play with her for a while.

This cat would pee on our suitcases though if we left them out. But was pretty meh when we got home. A bit grumpy but otherwise fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to report back in hopes my experience may prove useful to others. I am 10 days away from being done with my vacation but so far things are looking extremely positive.

I initially was torn between leaving cats or dropping them off at friends who have 2 cats but originally were same litter almost a year ago. What I did was move my cats over and move their toys and bed and so on and isolate my cats into a friend's room. My friends cats would become curious and there was tons of hissing and growling. I did not give in even though I could not bear leaving them to be stressed. After it was clear to me it was nothing more than hissing and growling and some chasing. We followed method of introducing cats from behind doors and supervised hangouts. And I would visit them for 5 days before my travel. I also got feliway optimum and multi cat and kept it in their room. After my travel my friends kept the loop of locked rooms, supervised play, feeding, stopping fights and making 1 cat hangout at a time with one other cat. After around 10th day, they would report with videos how day over day hissing subsided and moved to indifference then to play. Now they share food, litter and sleep area. With minor clashes. I am extremely happy and grateful for my friends patience and hope to give hope incase anyone is ever in my shoes. I realize every case is different but thought to share my experience.

Thanks for all great advice I was able to combine it and provide my friends alternatives

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad it has worked out so far! You are right, every case is different. Let's hope there is minimal adjustment when you come home and bring your cats back to your house! Keep us posted!