22yrs old

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I first joined this site a few months after getting Ozzy as a rescue cat from Cats Protection, in July 2004, they had "guestimated" his birthdate at approx Jan 2000. He was hard to home, due to his cattitude, and had been with them a few months. We took him on, and he settled well, he just never took to being groomed, and although he has semi long fur he kept his coat in good condition until a few years ago when it started to mat, he has a greasy coat which apparently doesn't help.

After trying to tackle the mats and ending up on antibiotics after he bit me, we had to resort to him being de-matted under general anaesthetic at the vets.

Then there was Covid, and vets only dealt with emergencies, then my leg broke and I was virtually bed bound for 6 months, with a frame on my leg. His coat was matted but I felt couldn't be dealt with during the cold weather.

So, at 22 yrs old, today he went to the vets, they were very nice, none judgemental, and not only shaved off his matted fur, but clipped his claws, removed some scale off his teeth, and cleaned his ears.

At his age he has some mobility issues, a bit wobbly on his legs, and he can't jump up any higher than ground level, but he seems content, enjoys his food, isn't on any medication and still sits outside a couple of times a day for an hour or so.

I'm wondering if his mobility might improve now the mats aren't there. We'll see, but for now we'll just concentrate on making sure he's warm.
IMG_20220503_150557.jpg

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I first joined this site a few months after getting Ozzy as a rescue cat from Cats Protection, in July 2004, they had "guestimated" his birthdate at approx Jan 2000. He was hard to home, due to his cattitude, and had been with them a few months. We took him on, and he settled well, he just never took to being groomed, and although he has semi long fur he kept his coat in good condition until a few years ago when it started to mat, he has a greasy coat which apparently doesn't help.

After trying to tackle the mats and ending up on antibiotics after he bit me, we had to resort to him being de-matted under general anaesthetic at the vets.

Then there was Covid, and vets only dealt with emergencies, then my leg broke and I was virtually bed bound for 6 months, with a frame on my leg. His coat was matted but I felt couldn't be dealt with during the cold weather.

So, at 22 yrs old, today he went to the vets, they were very nice, none judgemental, and not only shaved off his matted fur, but clipped his claws, removed some scale off his teeth, and cleaned his ears.

At his age he has some mobility issues, a bit wobbly on his legs, and he can't jump up any higher than ground level, but he seems content, enjoys his food, isn't on any medication and still sits outside a couple of times a day for an hour or so.

I'm wondering if his mobility might improve now the mats aren't there. We'll see, but for now we'll just concentrate on making sure he's warm.View attachment 419113
You are very good mommy to your Ozzy. Testament to that is his age and overall health. The old gentleman knows what he wants and what he refuses to do!! Nothing you can do about it but you know that already, don’t you? Lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Wow - good on you and Ozzy! (Sorry for your broken leg.) Did he have all the usual 'geriatric' testing (full blood panel - CBC and Super Chem, as well as a urinalysis)? It may or may not be helpful to have full body x-rays to see what level of arthritis he may have. Matted hair is often the result of mobility issues and more times than not it is due to arthritis.

Supplements containing glucosamine, chondroitin - among other things like green lipped mussels, MSM and DMG, might be a great place to start. The basic ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin. But I had Feeby (17+ yo) on Glyco Flex Plus for over 3 years before she appears to have tired of the green lipped mussel taste. I would highly recommend it regardless.

If you can squeeze in some brushings - that would be good too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He didn’t have any tests, it would have been pointless with regards to having the anaestheti, because the clipping had to be done. As for testing for anything else, to be honest, he eats well, sleeps most of the time, enjoys lying in the sun when it shines, and is possibly in his last year or so of life, so while he’s content and not showing any sign of being distressed we‘ll not put him through tests etc.

I am going to check out supplements, and we have some grooming gloves, that he tolerates in limited time, so hopefully his coat will grow through and not mat too quickly.