21 Year Old Cat Is Skin And Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PJ is 21, deaf, gets around well, and is accommodated for everything, We feed on demand and open about 8 cans of Fancy Feast a day. He has cat boxes in every room and we vet him at the slightest sign of anything. He's a mess, he won't groom and won't let us do much. He's down to 5 pounds (from about 9 at his peak). Vet says nothing is wrong (thyroid, diabetes, etc.) How can we get his weight up? Vet says his organs will fail from losing weight eventually. He pees an enormous amount but vet says kidneys are not bad. We love him so much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Is he long-haired? Can you trim him, with yourself or an mobile groomer to get his fur shorter so that his nongrooming isn't such an issue? He really needs that done, he'll feel a lot better, and then going forward it'll be easier for you to maintain for him, with a clippers or something.

Take a look at this, there might be something that helps.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's worth asking the vet if B12 levels were checked with the last blood work. If not, ask for it to be done. Low B12 levels affects nutrient absorption which results in weight loss. Treatment is giving B12 shots at home as directed by the vet.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because you mention not grooming and the weight loss, did the vet do a thorough check of his mouth? At his age, doing x-rays under anesthesia is probably not a good option but I wonder if his mouth is really bothering him? Our boy was prone to dental infections and so periodic courses of antibiotic were needed as he was too old and his health did not allow us to do any extractions or cleanings (due to risk of anesthesia).
How's his breath?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for getting more nutrients in him, have you though about giving him kitten wet food. They have more calories. You can get the mousse texture and mix in a bit of KMR. If it is his mouth, that would be easier to lap up and if needed you can syringe feed him as well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe he doesn't have thyroid issues.
Regardless of his B12 levels I would just start giving him weekly or every other week injections. You can buy a bottle and do it yourself at home if you want to.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regardless of his B12 levels I would just start giving him weekly or every other week injections. You can buy a bottle and do it yourself at home if you want to.
It would be best if the OP discussed B12 with the vet and get a recommendation of a reputable place to buy B12 from and a starting dose:). However most vets discourage buying B12 (and many other medicines) from online places because the quality and authenticity of the product is questionable.

OP may want to get a second opinion from another vet.

Elderly pets in general seem to not be able to keep weight on due to the aging body. As long as the cat is eating and otherwise deemed healthy by the vet, just feed high calorie cat foods. I wonder if Winchester Winchester has any tips from when she had Ms Pepe:think:

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be best if the OP discussed B12 with the vet and get a recommendation of a reputable place to buy B12 from and a starting dose:). However most vets discourage buying B12 (and many other medicines) from online places because the quality and authenticity of the product is questionable.
Absolutely lol. We just had a whole other discussion on another thread in here about people buying flea medications off websites from other countries and it seemed like I was the only one saying that seemed to shady.

Of course I meant to get it from the vet, I should have been more clear. I don't think there is any question of whether or not the cat should get it at all. It would do nothing but help overall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a short-haired cat, I didn't even realize they could mat. These are great ideas, my husband is off to buy kitten food. His breath is ok. He has chronic nasal issues and gets a couple of rounds of antibiotics each year when he's bad. He had surgery 2 years ago and almost died from the anesthesia so it's not an option. Thanks! Here's a pic--I was going to use that plate until he plopped down. As you can see, he can still get on the counter by himself!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, the dear sweet boy. :redheartpump: All curled up there, looking pretty comfortable, on your plate no less. :redheartpump: And he's an orange tabby, like my Ruby girl. :redheartpump:

In addition to the kitten food, which as already has been posted has more calories, you could also try goats milk which if he liked it, would give him some extra calories. Or a kitten replacement milk, like KMR.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I just completely love that photo, geez!! See, you never really knew just how good a job you did picking those colors of your lovely backsplash :vibes: :heartshape:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had surgery 2 years ago and almost died from the anesthesia so it's not an option.
With the right, skilled vet it can definitely be an option, especially with all the issues dental and gum disease can cause and advancements in different types of anesthesia. The vet just have to be more cautious. Just saying if it comes down to a life threatening situation with the state of the mouth I wouldn't rule it out completely.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have a specialty vet group or hospital within driving distance, it is another option to go there for a second opinion on your baby's entire medical condition. I do recommend that if anesthesia has to be administered you seek out a facility where they are very high tech, respirators ready to go, etc. I am not saying this to scare you. When my elderly and sick dog needed surgery I went to a place like that and there were absolutely no problems. 24 hour monitoring with an all night staff, not just a caretaker, or worse yet, a clinic that closes at night and does not even have a caretaker.

He is beautiful;I love orange boys. It is easy to see from his picture that he is happy and that you have done an exceptional job of caring for him all these years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hello! Your baby is adorable! Kudos to you for having that little one for 21 years.

Our Ms. Pepe, a little tortie, was 23 years old when she passed. And yes, she was really, really skinny at the end. She was matted and it took both Rick and me to hold her and to keep the mats at bay. I was worried when we took her to the vet that they'd hammer us for elder abuse because of her mats. She loved to be brushed, but the mats were still really bad. PJ might have a bit of arthritis going on; that will make it painful for him to groom himself. Ms. Pepe was fastidious when she was younger, but her arthritis made it hard for her to bathe anything other than her face. And most older cats do have arthritis. Pepe could still jump in and out of the bay window in the living room; she just had to think about it a little more.

A lot of times with older cats, the main problem is an over-active thyroid. Pepe would eat and eat and eat some more, yet she was steadily losing weight. She was constantly hungry, even though we were constantly feeding her. She drank tons of water and peed the water right out. Her litter box was always a mess and that was with twice-daily scoopings of that box. But, bless her heart, she never, ever peed anywhere but the box. She always made it.

Pepe was also in renal failure, which is why she was drinking and drinking (and peeing and peeing). For a while, she was on a special food from Royal Canin, but she got to the point where she wouldn't eat it anymore. And at her age? Well, she deserved to eat whatever she wanted at that point. She ate regular cat food (Friskies Buffet), so that's what we gave her.

I'm not trying to be snotty at all, but I really do think your little boy needs a second opinion. Our vet told us one time that it was really rare for an elderly cat not to have thyroid issues and not to have some kind of renal failure problems, too. We had four cats live to be over 20 years old and every single one of them had thyroid problems. There are thyroid meds that you can give him that, while they may not make him gain weight, they'll help keep his appetite at bay. (I said to our vet one time that we do whatever we can to try to keep our babies as healthy as possible, but we can't do anything about old age.)

Meanwhile, supplement any cat food with pureed baby meat food as well as kitten food (kitten food is excellent for extra protein). Chicken, turkey, etc. Mix it with water to make a thick puree. Chances are he will eat it and it may help him gain a few ounces. Along with the kitten supplement, maybe you could try some Sip or other kind of cat milk. But I will say that it's really difficult for an older baby to gain weight.

I wish you well with PJ. He's just gorgeous!!

Mjhend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pj died on Friday. He went downhill in last 3 days of life, quit eating, weak, etc. we helped him cross the bridge but he was asleep in my arms when he got the shot. Loved him so much and our last 6 months werePj focused—did he eat, poop, is he warm enough? So we are bereft. I’m sad too because we are too old to get any more pets (68). We still have 2 cats 2 dogs but the cats are an elderly semi feral and a young goofball neither are lap cats.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.:alright: I hope in time your heart will heal a little more with each passing day. PJ knew you loved him dearly and did everything you could. He passed with love and compassion surrounding him.

And I say this only because you mention that you are sad about it, but if new life into your home is something that would bring you joy, you could consider adopting a older or elder cat who has been overlooked due to age.

Again, I'm so sorry for you loss, it's never easy.
Rest in Peace PJ, always loved and never forgotten. :angel3:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry about PJ. :alright: 21 years is a long time, but it's always too soon when we lose them. :sniffle:

I hope your 2 cats and dogs will help to heal the hole in your heart. :catrub:

RIP sweet PJ. :redheartpump: :angel: :redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.