20 Year Old Hyperthyroid Cat - Grooming Issues

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Have not been on lately but need some advice. I am taking care of a hyperthyroid, hospice kitty for the shelter on a temporary basis. Her coat is a mess! The shelter vet clipped her back but her legs and everywhere else have matting. She won't let me touch them for very long. I think what she needs is to be sedated for clipping but I think this has not been done because of heart problems. I want so badly to help her but I don't know how. Asking questions at the shelter will give the impression that I don't feel they are taking care of her and I don't want that. I already asked why she looked so terrible even with her medication and was told they are doing regular blood tests and this is what the vet recommends. Plus, the regular foster is feeding her fish (even fish heads) and I read this is bad for her condition. The goal is not to keep her alive but comfortable as long as possible. Will the fish diet affect her well being? I believe in giving them whatever they want at this stage but not if it affects how she feels. If anyone know how to get mats off this girl let me know. I have 3 clippers for my horse but am afraid I would cut the kitty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have the answers for you, but you know once one person chimes in, more tend to follow, so I'm just trying to "seed" the thread, as it were, and to let you know that I'm here and I care!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the seed! I took my cordless clipper and have just been making light swipes at her coat. Have only gotten out 2 small and 1 medium mat but I guess anything is progress. She lets me do it until the mat pulls and then walks away and/or meows for me to stop. Such a sweet old thing.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's about all you can do. Now, if she has sores under the mats, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it in the fridge, then swab it gently on the sores. It is wonderfully soothing, and you can drink a cup of it (well-sweetened with honey, please) hot yourself after it all. Wonderfully soothing inside and out! OH, and a cat can have a teaspoon or three a day for calming, as well. So you don't have to worry about her licking the tea while grooming.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Using your clipper or scissors every 2 days or so might take a while but i think it wont stress her too much and you will slowly remove it all. Im not sure about the fish...I'd give her something else and give her some chicken or duck freeze dried treats like Purebites while or after cutting her mats, it could make the process a bit more fun for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! I have been picking away at the mats & she is cooperating! There was a small one behind her ear & she sat rock still until I was finished with it. When I started I could not touch her hind legs and now she is letting me shave the mats (hurts to go under them) a little at a time. She eats all the time and eats while I work on her. I think she does it to distract herself from the clipping. No sores that I have found. I wonder what will happen when I try to move to her lower legs and stomach. I thought after I get as many mats as I can I would go back and try to shave her coat so that it is more even. I am just thrilled that she is trusting me to do something that has to be very uncomfortable for the old girl. Thank you both for the moral support. It is appreciated!
PS : to add to her misery some fool 4 paw declawed her. She can't even scratch her head!

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great ;) no pressure, but hopefully you will keep her :p

Would be nice to see a pic of her ;)

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you both! I have been picking away at the mats & she is cooperating! There was a small one behind her ear & she sat rock still until I was finished with it. When I started I could not touch her hind legs and now she is letting me shave the mats (hurts to go under them) a little at a time. She eats all the time and eats while I work on her. I think she does it to distract herself from the clipping. No sores that I have found. I wonder what will happen when I try to move to her lower legs and stomach. I thought after I get as many mats as I can I would go back and try to shave her coat so that it is more even. I am just thrilled that she is trusting me to do something that has to be very uncomfortable for the old girl. Thank you both for the moral support. It is appreciated!
PS : to add to her misery some fool 4 paw declawed her. She can't even scratch her head!
Oh, jeeze. I wish we could get that barbaric practice outlawed in this country. Bless you for your patience with the Grand Old Dame.