2 yo cat TERRIFIED of storms

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a house full of kitties and have never had this issue until recently. I have a 2 yo cat, Keaton, who is basically a baby. He came to our house at a little under 2 weeks old, eyes not even fully opened, having lost his mom cat and spent a day outside alone with his littermates until someone found them under a shed after hearing them mewing for hours and realizing they hadn't seen a mom cat. The person who found them had purchased kitten formula and was bottle feeding them but didn't have time to do so nor the money to buy the formula any longer so we brought the kittens to us to care for. Keaton was the littlest one, and when we got him was doing poorly.

We took care of them and he bonded a lot with me. One of the kittens passed at 5 weeks and we found a home for the other one once they were 10 wks old, but decided to keep Keaton. He is a very very attached cat, tries to nurse on blankets still at times, did not want to wean from the bottle when he was a kitten, sleeps on my pillow and is always near me.

He had never had problems being around storms until a few months ago. I do daycare in my home and a parent was leaving. Keaton was by the front door and as I opened the door for a parent to leave, thunder boomed and lightening flashed at the same time. Keaton disappeared. We searched the house looking for him and couldn't find him, so I worried he had gotten outside. He has never been outside so I was very concerned. I searched and couldn't find him. Finally we look again inside and he was in the bottom of the pantry cowering in the corner...in a puddle of pee, like he had peed himself.

Next time it stormed, he his in the litter box closet, in a litter box, on a fresh puddle of pee. I think he gets scared and pees because he is scared! he doesn't pee everytime but when he gets really scared, he sometimes does!

Other times it has stormed or even gotten really rainy/windy, he will hide wherever he can that is dark and away from windows. he is also now terrified of doors. He won't go near doors at all, and meows/cries if he is being held and gets walked near a door. Two days ago we had a small, 10 minute thunderstorm and he tried to jump into a box to hide. I got him and set him on my lap and put a blanket over him and petted him to try and calm him down.

What is weird to me is that during storms when he hides or is sitting in my lap...he just stares. He won't close his eyes, look around, follow movement, he just sits incredibly tense, hunched over and has his eyes open just staring into the air.

Does anyone else have a cat that does this? Or any ideas to try and help him stay calm? His heart races during storms when he is sitting tense and staring and it worries me!

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My eldest cat Cali is terrified of storms and fireworks. I have feliway it helps some. She likes to hide in the basement, under the bed, or behind my legs. I have some cat tents and a hidden cubby spot but she prefers the basement.
I just make sure she can get to her favorite hiding spots during the storm.
I would try the feliway if you can and make sure there are hiding spots.

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, he must have really gotten startled during that incident at the front door. A couple of ideas if you know where he's hiding, put down pee pads or towels and let him stay there but go over to him and just try to sooth him with your voice and treats. Tell him in a calm, pleasant way that it's ok, give him some treats, then calmly go back to what you were doing. Maybe over time he'll lose some of his fear.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Psy and Bear reacted that way to storms, too. A bolt of lightning hit close to my house and I could feel it tingle my feet (I was barefoot), and both cats jumped into the air, so maybe the bolt that hit close to you lightly shocked your cat.

Mine would go under the bed and get up on the slats in the box to get off the floor. They had a hidey place where they felt safe. Maybe in addition to putting down the pee pads, you can get something elevated for him to hide in.