2 Year Old Sick Cat

rmcpher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last Wednesday night June 28th, 2017 i noticed my cat had thrown up a hair ball (No big deal) the following morning I had noticed that she was no longer eating or drinking water and had thrown up a couple times that night followed by 2-3 more times during the day. After 24 HRs had passed I brought her to the vet where she has undergone x-rays, blood tests in which I was advised she had a gastrointestinal infection. She has been prescribed antibiotics and pain killers to clear the infection and assist with pain. She is still not eating, and only drinks small amounts ever so often, she has gone to the washroom 1- 3 times in the past week 2 times urinating and once to release a bowel. She is currently being hospitalized as her symptoms continue with no sign of changes (she has not got any worse but no better). She is currently on IV Fluids and medications, being force fed every few hours to ensure her Liver does not become affected. One thing i have noticed is after being force fed she will go over to her water and lay in front of it with her head hanging over it.

She is usually a very happy cat, loves to run around the house, is a big eater but now she just lays around, barely pays attention, seems tired, does not eat, drink or use her litter.

Very concerned that she is going to pass away at such a young age. I guess at this point im hoping someone out there has had this issue and knows what is is

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Were all of her blood values normal? From reading your post, it sounds like she is currently in the hospital, yet is also sounds like she might be at home, because I don't know of any hospitals where the cats roam free, and you said after she is force fed she "goes over to her water and hangs her head over it". So....is she actually in hospital or home?

If she has had only one bowel movement in the past week, I would say there is a very good chance that she is extremely constipated, and this can cause her to not want to eat, and also cause lethargy. Also, same with urinating. It's even more telling that she has only urinated twice in the past week. If she is hospitalized though, things may have changed with her output. Did they mention that?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she been given an appetite stimulant by the vet? This could be so many things, I'm at a bit of a loss. Mainly, just wanted you to know that we're here and we care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmcpher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is in the hospital, the water thing was when she was at home. Her blood test on July 1st indicated her Bil was very high, not a good sign. She has stopped eating completely now only swallowing bits of the food when force fed and the rest she will hold in her mouth or spit up. . .

Were all of her blood values normal? From reading your post, it sounds like she is currently in the hospital, yet is also sounds like she might be at home, because I don't know of any hospitals where the cats roam free, and you said after she is force fed she "goes over to her water and hangs her head over it". So....is she actually in hospital or home?

If she has had only one bowel movement in the past week, I would say there is a very good chance that she is extremely constipated, and this can cause her to not want to eat, and also cause lethargy. Also, same with urinating. It's even more telling that she has only urinated twice in the past week. If she is hospitalized though, things may have changed with her output. Did they mention that?

rmcpher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was given an appetite stimulant which has not helped

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suspect pancreatitis. If they have not done so, I would request the SPEC fPL test. This is the "gold standard" which measures feline pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity. It has to be sent out to Texas A & M University and takes a couple of days to get back.

It is good she remains hospitalized. An elevated Bilirubin level can indicate that bile is starting to back up into the liver, which can happen with pancreatitis since the liver and pancreas share the duct into the intestinal tract.

rmcpher1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:vibes:I'm praying for your sweet baby.
Thank you, it kills me to say Holly has gone to sleep and is in a better place running happily and healthy.

Holly was not digesting her food and threw up, inhaling some of her vomit causing her lungs to fill, this happened so late in the night moving her to an emergency clinic was not an option. A tough choice was made in which i have been mourning for hours on end already and have not slept.

I could no longer bare seeing her in pain, laying there lifeless, as she was falling to sleep I told her how much she was loved while petting her gently as she slowly faded.

Holly was a rescue and was loved so much in her short life, she could not ever be replaced. Rest in peace gentle soul

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Holly, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.