2 Year Old Female Cat And 4 Month Old Male Kitten

hp811hyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it only been a week, new kitten is already adjust to home and very playful. my first cat is that hissed and runs away whenever kitten try to attack? play with her. funny thing is even tho my first cat hissed and runs away all the time, she's the one who curious where about of new kitten. and noticed they could sit quietly few feet apart without any reaction but soon as new kitten try to play, that's when my first cat hissed and runs off again. any ideas?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like you said, it's only been a week. Your resident cat is bewildered and upset by the newcomer, but will come around eventually, it just takes time. Kittens move so fast, and ARE annoying to an older cat, so hissing, growling, and even slapping are a perfectly normal way for your older cat to respond and one the kitten understands. It will all work out in time, let your resident cat correct the kitten, (unless blood is drawn, then step in) kittens need this to learn their manners and to keep them from playing too rough with humans when they get older. Your older cat, being female, is just doing what she has instinct to do!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given the age of the kitten - I am guessing it has grown enough that it starting to look like a small adult? The size - and, the utter non-stop playfulness of the kitten - is daunting to your resident cat. This is especially true if your 2 yo has always been the only cat in the household.

I would seriously consider going through standard introductions - more so for the sake of your first cat, as that is the one who will require much more time to adapt.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide