2 Year Old Cat That Has Become Boney Except For His Belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwilli80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My husband and I have a two year old cat that my husband rescued as a kitten from behind his work. When he brought him home we took him straight to the vet to get checked out. All his blood work came back normal, he was vaccinated, and wormed. He was very skittish and would run from us anytime we tried to pet him but after a year and a half he has really come around, he's a very lovable little guy.

Well with in the last month we have noticed that he has gotten very boney (visibly hard to see because he is long haired). When you pet him you can feel his hip and rib bones and spine very easily. He does have a bit of a belly. He is not acting lethargic or sick in any way. We have been feeding him whatever he is willing to eat at this point and he seems to have a strong appetite. I am planning on worming him again as a precaution and we have made an appointment with our vet, but they are backed up so its a few weeks away. We have five other cats and none of them seem to be losing weight. This past summer we had a real problem with fleas, to the point that we had to treat our yard. All the cats are on flea preventative and have been for a very long time. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with our sweet little guy or have any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It's really good you're headed in to the vet - can you also consider suspending the flea treatment for him for a while? His system appears to be struggling with something and I personally think flea meds add to the load. If you really need something - try avon skin so soft (the original, and unscented if you can find it), just a really small amount, diluted in water on the back of the neck. My boy HATES this, but it works.

Hopefully the deworming helps - :vibes::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwilli80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I'll definitely give the skin so soft a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwilli80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I should just update what had happened with our sweet boy in case someone else has the same issue. It hurts to even write this but unfortunately we lost our sweet boy 6 days after my original post. Sorry I haven't updated sooner, I was pregnant and ended to having the baby 3 weeks early (she's happy and healthy).

I went to my OB appointment on the 26th and bc of my BP my doctor had me go to the hospital for mentoring. I didn't call my husband right away bc I didn't know if it was just going to be a short, one hour stay or longer. Well as I'm being checked in my husband calls historical, he found out little Fuzz laying by the door not breathing. He was able to get him breathing and was rushing him to our vet. When he got there they took him right back and did everything they could. Sadly he passed away shortly after arriving. The vet said Fuzz had a serious heart defect and there wasn't much wise we could have done to help him. The very next night our baby girl was born, we know she has the sweetest little kitty angel watching over her now.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this J Jwilli80 It must have been awful to lose your poor boy that way. I'm glad to hear that your daughter was delivered safely. She must have known that her mum needed comforting so came early to cheer you up.

We always lock the threads when a cat passes, so I'll lock this one now.

If you would like to start a thread in Fuzz's memory please do so in our Crossing The Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.