2 year old cat hiding under bed

HHorst1446

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
A month and a bit ago I got a new kitten to join our 2 year old resident cat! After a while the two were able to get along mostly! After a month we are all able to sleep in our bed at night together. There has been no hissing, swatting or anything for a long time.
However, for the last few days Marceline (kitten) will get super hyper and playful in the afternoon and will try to play with Soybean (2 year old) or just generally run around like a demon. A few days ago Marceline has tried to play fight with Soybean which was not taken well by Soybean and ended up with a hiss and a swat. Now whenever Marceline gets super hyper and goes into demon mode Soybean tends to hide under our bed. Is this normal? I am so worried that Soybean is getting depressed or is starting to hate Marceline!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds fine if the cat comes out in a bit and doesn't seem overly stressed or generally afraid of the kitten when kitten is calm. Hiding is something many cats like to do now and then, and is not necessarily a sign of terrible stress. If its just at that time of day, I'd say its no different from my wife who used to spend 15 minutes in the bathroom when the kids get to be too much when they were younger. Lol, maybe thats not ideal, but its not a terrible thing either.

Of course, if your actually talking about the zoomies, and your kitten is bouncing off walls and acting like its on drugs, then hiding is definitely normal. Interacting with a cat having the zoomies is problematic for anyone, be it human or cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HHorst1446

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply A ArtNJ !! Yes, its definitley the zoomies! She loves to run and play with her springs and toys but it is super hard core when in a 1 bedroom apartment! Soybean usual comes out and hangouts with my fiance by his desk or on the couch once things are more calm. I tend to get a lot of anxiety and worry about Soybean’s mental health and adjustment to the new cat! Soybean still sits on my lap and always cuddles my fiance.
Marceline is very bitey still with everyone so still trying to redirect that onto a toy or perhaps it’ll stop when she grows up

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember carefully retracting my legs fully onto the bed when I had a cat with the zoomies in a one bedroom. I think Soybean is just being prudent!

I haven't had a cat that gets the zoomies in many years so I'm not totally sure, but my guess is that the second cat hiding is pretty common.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
perhaps it’ll stop when she grows up
It helps to ensure that it doesn't continue when you use things like specific, repeated and loud No, Ow, a clap of hands, throwing jangly keys on the floor nearby, that sort of thing, even a loud hiss to startle her mind out of that mode and to learn it's unacceptable behavior.

If your kitten is teething, try taking a clean wash cloth (well rinsed if you use dryer sheets) dampen it and put it in the freezer for a bit. Let the kitten chew on that it will help ease discomfort :)