2 week old kittens with dark green poop?

meowmeow98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm caring for some kittens that were left in a box. They're about 2 weeks old. Eating KMR powder every 3-4 hours. The first 36 hours I had them, they were constipated but it was resolved with some plain Pedialyte and a pinch of Miralax added to their formula. After that, they were pooping healthy and solid light brown/yellow.

Monday night, one of the kittens poop looked very dark and had a green tint. By this morning(Wednesday), all the kittens had the same dark green poops, and the original kitten started having dark green diarrhea. I took them to the vet, and he only prescribed Diagel and said to come back this weekend if it didn't help.

They had the medication around 4pm Wednesday, and I have not seen any difference in their poop. Now, the original kitten is eating probably about half what it has been, and only gained about 6 grams today (all the others gained 20+). It is still active and strong so far.

I'm just freaking out, I can't sleep and I'm regretting not pushing for a fecal test at the vet. I plan on going again tomorrow, but since it can take a couple days to get test results back, I'm just so worried the kitten may deteriorate.

Has anyone else experienced a similar poop color? Any recommendations on how to best support the kitties?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely have a fecal study done, especially since one of teh kittens isn't eating as much. Keep teh kitten taht isn't eating as much warm, do you have a cat heat pad? if he is sick he may be cold and cold kittens don't eat. a tiny bit of karo syrup or honey spread across his gums for him to lick off may give him some extra energy to eat more. Do it and then wait 10-15 minutes and try to feed him. There are just so many reasons for this to happen I think with kittens this young teh stool needs tested. It can range from parasites, a bacterial infection, to a change in their formula. all the luck, please keep us informed, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers........

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above.
Can you get raw goats milk? It pricey if bought in a shop, but does have some potential plusses and is sometimes used as a remedicum by itself.
Easy to digest, and as it comes from an alive momma, it has some immune properties.

Also, try to get home a proper glucose sugar / dextrose. For example, Amazon sells it. You can probably ask them at a bakery, if they will sell some to you.
The same use as the mentioned white caro syrup, but better as its not as sweet.

Also, useful in some emergencies, as it doenst need to be digested, goest straight into the blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmeow98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Green poop often signals a parasite infection such as giardia or coccidia, which may or may not show up in a fecal. Ponazuril usually treats this in 1-3 doses. Ask about it at the vet.

Which brand powdered formula are you using?

M meowmeow98
Thank you for your response! I will ask the vet about it. I'm using the PetAg KMR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmeow98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely have a fecal study done, especially since one of teh kittens isn't eating as much. Keep teh kitten taht isn't eating as much warm, do you have a cat heat pad? if he is sick he may be cold and cold kittens don't eat. a tiny bit of karo syrup or honey spread across his gums for him to lick off may give him some extra energy to eat more. Do it and then wait 10-15 minutes and try to feed him. There are just so many reasons for this to happen I think with kittens this young teh stool needs tested. It can range from parasites, a bacterial infection, to a change in their formula. all the luck, please keep us informed, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers........
Thanks for your response! I am definitely going to get them tested today. They do have a heating pad provided!

Luckily, he did eat a bit more during the last feeding. I turned off almost all the lights and tried covering his eyes and he latched much easier. He is the first to fully open his eyes, so I'm hoping that's what was causing the fussiness with eating and it's just a coincidence.