2 week old kitten losing weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The KMR I'm feeding him is PetAg brand, and I'm trying to feed it to him every couple hours. Plus, he still seems to be latching to mama and has gained weight since I posted this earlier so that made me happy.
As for the steam shower, our shower stays hot for a very short time so I'll just have to try it and see if it works lol.
The vet we went to when we went to get eye ointment is actually new to me. That was the first time I'd ever been there and honestly they made a good first impression, plus its closer to me than my current vet. I was going to call them tomorrow and explain the situation an maybe they can just give me some peace if mind at the least (lol) indoibt they'd give me antibiotics without taking the kittens in, but they gave me special eye ointment without me bringing them in, which was cool lol

Anyways, thanks for the reply. Everyone's always pushing the vet on me and it was nice to hear a helpful comment other than just "take them to the vet" :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
PetAgs KMR is good, especially the powder version. The premade liquid is less reliable for longer use.

The kittens always prefer to suckle momma, for comfort if nothing else, so its really no danger to supplement. If the kitten manages to suckle, he will anyways get some from momma, even if he gets satisfied by kmr or goats milk.

He shall add minimum 6g a day, preferably more, healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day.
If he add less, try to give more supplementing wise!

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after all of this, I tried feeding him 2nd step (at 3 1/2 ish weeks) and he got diarrhea so we went back to KMR but hes still not improving and he's breathing heavy now. I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow since I can't take him today because of easter everything's closed. I sucked his nose and throat earlier and I think I got some stuff out but hes still having trouble breathing...plz help

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so in posted about having a kitten out of three maybe having a uri, well I didn't take him to Tue vet and just decided to feed him KMR to try and gain a little weight and build his immune system, he seemed to be doing well, and then I made the huge mistake of trying to feed him 2nd step KMR since he is almost 4 weeks. Well it gave him diarrhea and since then hes been sickly. Breathing kind of like heavy shallow breaths? Like hes struggling to breath...
We noticed this last night so we ran to Walmart to get KMR and switch him back to that , they didn't have KMR but had the pet Ag brand mother replacement milk.
Anyways we've been trying to feed him that, and he takes it sometimes but mostly have to kind of force feed him.
Hes still weak and doesn't seem to be latching well to mom, so I'm trying to force KMR as much as possible. His tongue is a little Dis colored, but wasn't last night before the diarrhea..I tried sucking out his nose and throat , it seems like I may have got something but I can't tell for sure, and he sounds really congested but hes not leaking any discharge from his eyes or nose. In just feel so bad hes restlessly sleeping and breathing funny and I'm just trying to get him re hydrated..

Any help is well appreciated!!
And if anything plz just pray for my baby, his name a stripe ❤

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In plan to take him to a vet tomorrow, I just hope he makes it...I wanted to today but nothing's open because of easter

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is critical. He needs an emergency vet. He won't make it without antibiotics. He has clearly aspirated formula into his lungs, which leads to pneumonia.

Stop forcing formula into him.

Try sitting in a steamy bathroom with a hot shower running for a few minutes to help his breathing.

Without help he probably won't make it.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just got to the vet, they put him on oxygen and are giving him fluids and sending me with an antibiotic...they basically said it could be a few different things and that they're gonna do what they can and hope for the best..they said it's so hard to diagnose and treat such baby kittens :/ prayers for my baby stripe ❤❤ he's so strong and deserves souch better than this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for getting him to the vet! It is very difficult to treat tiny kittens, but sometimes they can be saved.

Oxygen, fluids, and antibiotics are excellent! I will pray that he responds to treatment.

Please keep us updated!

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just got home and I gave her a dose of the antibiotic and then later stripe by mama kitty and let her eat, mama kitty was restless though and wouldn't sit still. I think she got a little bit though and she started to fall asleep so I put stripe in with the other baby's and I'm feeding mama some soft food now.

Stripe did look better after all the fluids they put in her, but still a little sluggish. I really hope she's okay and this vet visit saved her. Her breathing is still a bit weird, but she's breathing ALOT better than she was...

Prayers for my stripe baby and her siblings, and while we are at it, let's pray for all the baby kitties going through stuff like this.

Stay strong stripey ❤❤❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which antibiotic did they put Stripe on and how often?

I surely hope this will help Stripe!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds great! If her breathing gets labored just sit in a steamy bathroom with her for a few minutes several times a day.

It may take a couple of days, but hopefully she will turn the corner and get better.

Did the vet also give her a dose of the antibiotic, or was that her first dose?

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely keep that steam shower in mind! And the dose I gave her was her first dose. My mom and I were actually just talking about how they should have given her her first dose at the vet, then they could've shown me how to do it correctly. (Not that I dont know, but still lol)
I appreciate all the help. This site has actually helped me trough so much with my many many cats :)

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just came to feed her again and she's breathing heavy again, ahe qont latch to a nipple and she wont ta KMR...she's meowing slightly too and Idk how to make her eat or what to do to help her...I called my vet and they said they don't know if the steam shower would help or hurt her and they said she has a uri so She's not gonna get better in the blink of an eye, but I'm worried, I want her to eat a little something but I'm scared to fees he KMR and basically drown her...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the steam. You said they gave her fluids so she should be okay for now.

You may need to stay up with her tonight.

She's so sick that this is going to be touch and go. If she can make it through the night she has a chance.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said they wouldn't reccomend the steam cause they dont know if its gonna help or hurt her. And honestly, I haven't hardly slept since the kittens were born. I've gotten 6 hours of sleep in the last over 48 hours. I live and breath these kittens..
And Idk how to get stripe to eat...she data little by little so I'm feeding her more frequently, but still don't feel like she's getting enough..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be careful to just give small drops of formula to her. If she can get through this she will come out ready to eat when she's better.

You do need to get some rest at some point.

applejacksalex

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know ive just been so worried about the babies...ita making me nervous baby stripe won't hardly eat, and I'm more nervous to get it in her lungs :c