2 Questions: Acne Healing Time & Spay Lump

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, over-worried cat mama here :hellocomputer:

Two questions on two different kitties:

Pickle Kitty: he had a reeeally bad case of chin acne a month or so ago. We took him to the vet once the blackheads turned into sores, got him on prednisone for a month, antibiotics, and ointment. It's looking much better, but he still has some sores that open up and bleed and a couple white and blackheads. It's been a month! Should it be healed by now? Is it just ongoing forever? I feel so bad for him.

Mitsu Kitty: She had spay surgery on Monday and hasn't bothered the incision site at all since I've kept her in the dreaded cone any time I can't watch her or she's not being fed. She is very active, despite all our best attempts, so I'm a little worried that the lump below her stitches could be something bad. It's not discolored or anything, but there's a tiny little hard lump just below the stitches. It doesn't hurt her when I touch it or press a bit, and it feels like fluid. Is this something I should worry about or will it go away?

this year has been full of vet visits and posts to this forum, so thank you all for the help :grouphug:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can help with Pickle problem, same name as my cat by the way. The lump on Mitsu is quite normal, it is scar tissue and will disappear in time. As it does not bother her I wouldnt worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can help with Pickle problem, same name as my cat by the way. The lump on Mitsu is quite normal, it is scar tissue and will disappear in time. As it does not bother her I wouldnt worry.
Your kitty's name is Pickle, too??? Show me a pic! :D Mine is attached.

Thanks for the help about Mitsu. I know I'm just being super worried. :sweat::sweat: pick.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mitsu is an easy one, if she has internal stitches some raised bump is normal. If there is any puss coming out orothe edges seem to be pulling apart then you'd want to double check with your vet. I usually take a picture a day (okay three or four a day but whose counting) and compare as a time lapse. It let's me notice quicker if something is getting better or worse. I also send my vet the time lapse if I think something is off so that she can either say it's normal or to come in.

Pickle... Have you switched from plastic to metal or ceramic bowls? If so, make sure you are cleaning them regularly as those are the most common culprits. I am sure you have, but just double checking. You can try cleaning his chin with a drop of dawn dish soap, cat safe and gets rid of grease/oil. It is drying so you would want to maybe limit it to every three days just to be safe. Here is a thread that might be helpful, Argh! Stubborn Chin Acne And Skin Infections!

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mitsu is an easy one, if she has internal stitches some raised bump is normal. If there is any puss coming out orothe edges seem to be pulling apart then you'd want to double check with your vet. I usually take a picture a day (okay three or four a day but whose counting) and compare as a time lapse. It let's me notice quicker if something is getting better or worse. I also send my vet the time lapse if I think something is off so that she can either say it's normal or to come in.
thank you! It looks very clean, no discoloration or puss. I'll try to get some pics. I took some the first day she came home and it seems to look the same to me. That little hard lump just worried my mama heart :sigh:

Pickle... Have you switched from plastic to metal or ceramic bowls? If so, make sure you are cleaning them regularly as those are the most common culprits. I am sure you have, but just double checking. You can try cleaning his chin with a drop of dawn dish soap, cat safe and gets rid of grease/oil. It is drying so you would want to maybe limit it to every three days just to be safe. Here is a thread that might be helpful, Argh! Stubborn Chin Acne And Skin Infections!
We only use a ceramic bowl for him and have done so for a long time now. Clean it daily. I just bought him a flatter bowl to see if that helps. He's a messy eater so maybe he just keeps getting the area dirty? I'll check out the thread. Right now we're cleaning his chin daily with wipes and then ointment + cone, which of course he looooves. :insertevillaugh:

Treapalmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are Pickle and Mitsu doing?
Mitsu goes in this week to get the stitches removed. The lump is still there, but the actual suture site itself looks amazing. Clean, no redness, no discoloration at all. So I'm not going to freak out. Mitsu is acting normally, eating, drinking, using the litterbox, playing, so I think she's okay :thumbsup:

Pickle on the other hand... We are feeding him on a flat plate now to see if that helps and I bought him a new plastic cone (was using a cloth type one) so that if it rubs against his wound it hopefully won't irritate it. He hates this new cone even more than the other one :frustrated: Going to give it a few more days and see if the new plate + more time in the cone helps. We were only making him stay in the cone for a few hours/day before. Now I'm trying it all day between his breakfast and dinner.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news about Mitsu but poor Pickle. It must be miserable for him having to wear a collar. If he is a messy eater do you wash his chin after feeding. I have not dealt with this problem but the articles I have read seem to stress washing in warm clear water often. I hope he gets better very soon. Keep us updated.