2 or 3 Week Old Orphaned Kitten Help

seldity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really want to make sure i'm doing everything right because whenever shes awake its almost non-stop meowing or crying. I've never had a cat before so i don't know the difference.

4 days ago my mother found a small grey kitten with no other kittens or mom in sight or in the regular places strays have kittens around our house. We took her in for a bit then left her out in a warm box to see if the mother will take her back. After she didn't come we're hoping to keep the cat. I've been syringe feeding her about 12- 15 ml of a 1:1 of goats milk and water ( originally we had kitten formula but we ran out and so did the vets.) Shes being fed 4-6 times a day including nights and sleeps for pretty much the whole time between feedings. We haven't taken her to the vets yet as i don't suspect any respiratory infections or parasites but i plan on taking her soon. Shes been sleeping in a large cardboard box w towels and a warmed, covered rice bag. I'm making sure shes peeing before and after feeding. Shes defecated twice now however its not every time we get her to go. I'm also making sure to allow her to walk and climb on and around me to help her learn to balance and walk for about 10 or 15 mins when shes up. Her constant meowing worries me. She wont fall asleep in my lap or stop crying when i hold her so i'm not sure if its about being close to me or warm. She does, however, stop when i let her chew or suckle on my finger. I worry about over feeding her so i haven't been giving her more food but also i cant use the nipple we got as i think its a bit too big for her mouth. Also i have no way of weighing her sadly however i can say shes not malnourished. Shes a little bigger than a handful but not two. Like i said i want to make sure i'm doing everything alright because this is potentially my first cat and i want her to be happy and healthy. Thank you for any feedback
cat.jpg cat2.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, what a beautiful little baby! She only looks up to a week old. At that age it is impossible to overfeed. If she is crying nonstop, she is hungry. It may mean she is crying for mama, but if you comfort her and she does not stop it is hunger. I hope StefanZ StefanZ will see your post and come on for you, he is really an expert and can advise you. Goat's milk is good and acceptable, there are kitten bottles that have smaller nipples and would make your job easier. At the age she looks she really should be eating every two hours for a bit, so it is entirely possible she is hungry. Stimulating her bottom so she can pee/deficate is necessary and it sounds like you are doing a good job. Make sure it is done after every meal. At that age she cannot regulate her body heat, so it is vital she is kept warm. A rice sock is good, an electric cat warming pad is even better. That can be used all her life, cats love them. They only use about a 60watt light bulb's amount of energy, if even that. The bottles and pads can be found at farm supply stores Like Tractor Supply, or even at Walmart's pet section. I got mine on Amazon.
You will be blessed for helping her, thank you! PS teh only way you will know she is truly getting bigger and getting enough to eat is to go to Walmart, etc. adn purchace a scale, usually to weigh food that weighs fractions of amounts, we're talking grams here, 1 ounce is equal to approx. 28 grams, so you would need fractions of ounces. it is a real way to find out how she is doing. Tiny kittens need to gain 1/2 ounce or 14 grams per day to thrive. Research Kitten Lady on the internet for a bounty of info on how to raise tiny kittens!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

seldity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG, what a beautiful little baby! She only looks up to a week old. At that age it is impossible to overfeed. If she is crying nonstop, she is hungry. It may mean she is crying for mama, but if you comfort her and she does not stop it is hunger. I hope StefanZ StefanZ will see your post and come on for you, he is really an expert and can advise you. Goat's milk is good and acceptable, there are kitten bottles that have smaller nipples and would make your job easier. At the age she looks she really should be eating every two hours for a bit, so it is entirely possible she is hungry. Stimulating her bottom so she can pee/deficate is necessary and it sounds like you are doing a good job. Make sure it is done after every meal. At that age she cannot regulate her body heat, so it is vital she is kept warm. A rice sock is good, an electric cat warming pad is even better. That can be used all her life, cats love them. They only use about a 60watt light bulb's amount of energy, if even that. The bottles and pads can be found at farm supply stores Like Tractor Supply, or even at Walmart's pet section. I got mine on Amazon.
You will be blessed for helping her, thank you! PS teh only way you will know she is truly getting bigger and getting enough to eat is to go to Walmart, etc. adn purchace a scale, usually to weigh food that weighs fractions of amounts, we're talking grams here, 1 ounce is equal to approx. 28 grams, so you would need fractions of ounces. it is a real way to find out how she is doing. Tiny kittens need to gain 1/2 ounce or 14 grams per day to thrive. Research Kitten Lady on the internet for a bounty of info on how to raise tiny kittens!
Thank you. Ill make sure to mention this to my mom and feed her more. I do think shes over a week because her eyes are open but im not sure if her ears are open fully. thank you for replying!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, age about twoo weeks. If you buy a scale buy measuring in grammes- easier to see any changes.

You seem to do very nicely. The only real proposal I have is you dont need to dilute the goats milk!

The amount given about 60 ml a day is prob ok for now, but diluted its too little milk...

And yes you can give more often. The labels on kmr bottles have timetable to seldom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you say “whole milk” you do not mean cow’s milk, right? You mean non-diluted goat’s milk?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put some towels or a blanket over the heating pad. Also set it up so that the kitten can get off the heated area, but stay on the towels or blanket if it becomes too warm for the kitten!

Feed the kitten with it's stomach down and her head a little elevated. That prevents the kitten from inhaling the milk into her lungs, which can then cause pneumonia!

Thank you for the rescue. And provide updates, please!

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest maybe putting a small stuffed animal in with them. It could act like there mother and it gives the cutie something to snuggle up to like they would with the mother. We did that with our current little one (who we just recently put with the older 5 we have) and he loved to climb over it, sleep under it, and when he was a little older starting playing with it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: She turned out to be a gorgeous kitty :happycat::rock: Her ears and boxy muzzle remind me of my Maine Coon JC's look when he was that age. thank you so very much for remembering to update us and congratulations on a job well done. I hope that we can count on you to weigh in on others' posts during the upcoming kitten season - your knowledge and experience will be helpful in saving lives.