2 of our 4 cats just got FIV+ diagnosis, what now?

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One lesson we learned the hard way is that FIV+ kitties can require longer courses of antibiotics when they get sick. But we live a little off the beaten path in a little town, so sometimes I think the vets learn along with us. :wink:
Cheeser, I need your help. You mentioned antibiotics take longer to take effect with FIV+ cats. Normally, cats are prescribed five days of antibiotics. For how long should I give mine antibiotics?

Thanks in advance.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheeser, I need your help. You mentioned antibiotics take longer to take effect with FIV+ cats. Normally, cats are prescribed five days of antibiotics. For how long should I give mine antibiotics?

Thanks in advance.
Well, as always, your vet is the best source of information for your cat's needs. So you'd need to check with them to see what they recommend. :)

In our case, our vet usually doubles the amount of time he'd normally prescribe a course of antibiotics, and sometimes extends that a few more days. But that was only after he had treated Buddy for various infections a few times, and had a better idea how his system would respond.

However, for what it's worth, Buddy's immune system was already pretty wonky when we took him in, and he's always had a harder time fighting off infections. My uncle has a couple of cats who have tested positive for FIV, but they're not symptomatic like our kitty is, and they don't need to do anything special for them when they're sick.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope your Mom's visit was enjoyable and all your furbabies are doing well. Have a happy and healthy new year.