2 month old kitten

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just adopted a 2 month old female gray tabby, any advice? Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Congratulations on your new kitten! Any reason why the kitten was taken away from her mama so soon? I know a lot of places tend to do it as soon as 8 weeks, but the kittens typically seem to do better when kept with their moms for at least 12 weeks. Nonetheless, are you a new cat owner, or just a new kitten owner? Has the kitten been spayed and given her first round of vaccinations? Is this kitten using the litter box, and is she eating/drinking properly?

Just to start you off, here are some TCS articles to check out, and then you can come back with more specific questions as needed!!
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

Btw, pics and a name of your new one are always very welcome!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. I have only had one cat before, he was the love of my life and he sadly passed this winter. I have never had a kitten. I got Her from my local SPCA, she was there with her three siblings listed as a surrender, she was spayed and given her first shots, she is using the liter box great so far, I am using litter attract right now but when do you think I should switch her over to regular liter? We are deciding on a name, any suggestions would be apprciated! So far we like Bowie or Denali Here is a pic! Thanks again.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry for your cat that you lost. We do have a section on this site to pay tribute and memorialize cats that been taken from us - so, you may consider giving your lost baby a place to 'rest' on our site - Crossing the Bridge | TheCatSite.

Not to distract from your new baby - she is so pretty! You will be in the best position to determine her name (sometimes it just comes from the 'gut'). Don't worry about the litter for now, as long as she is using it, I think you are good for now.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again! The crossing the bridge section is so beautifu, my little Jon defiantly deserves a post in his honor but every time I try to write it I break down but it might be healing to finish. This little kitty is very sweet, I also like the name Janie tumbleweed because she keeps tumbling over :blush: Thank you again for your reply Sa!

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering How much wet and dry food should I be feeding her per day?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering How much wet and dry food should I be feeding her per day?
For kittens, an unlimited amount. Kittens eat a ton of food and need all that food to grow. They can't get fat. Most people feed mainly canned food a few times a day and leave a bowl of dry food out for snacking on.

Could you adopt the siblings as well? Young kittens do better with their siblings or another unrelated cat. Single kittens can get lonely and be super needy and basically attached to you at all times.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can vary by kitten, but 200 - 250 calories a day is probably a good starting point - you'll have to gauge it from there, as you really want to feed her whatever/how much she is willing to eat. She should be able to eat how much she wants at least until she reaches a year old. Of course, she should be eating kitten food - both wet and dry. Leave dry food out for her at all times, and then serve her wet food at least 4 times a day. This can be adjusted to more meals a day if needed, since she is small and might eat less in one sitting.

You can also check with the place from where you adopted her and ask what/how much they were feeding her just so you know. It might be good to - at least initially - feed her the same foods and then gradually move to something you would prefer for her.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice! I will check about her siblings, she dose seem clingy to me already but I really enjoy being with her, will her personality change a lot as she gets older? I only work a few hours a day and My sister also lives with me so she will always have company but a sibling would be good for her. Once I put her wet food out how long should I keep it in her dish before I take it away? Also I don't mind but she dose seem to play bite, any advice to help with that before she gets older, I brought her a variety of toys and a cat tree to look out the window. Thank you very much for the help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had 3 cats and all were 'raised' alone - all are/were very calm, cool, and collected cats. At the age of your girl, because she is so young, it seems pretty normal that she would be a bit needy - so love on her, play with her all you can! As she ages, she will become less needy.

You can start with a small amount of food, see if she eats it all and then give her a bit more and see how she does. I leave Feeby's canned food out for no more than 8 hours. I don't know that it makes a difference between kittens and cats, but probably not. I also doubt if you dole it out in small amounts that any of the food will be left in the bowl that long!!! The dry can be left out all day/night. But, after a full day, it probably would be a good idea to toss whatever is left and fill the bowl with fresh. Replacing it will depend on how long it takes her to eat it, and you can always leave out less with the intention of checking how much is left on a frequent basis. This is all a 'learning' process to see what her preferences are - as it is for all of us when dealing with a new kitten/cat!

Try to use more toys, rather than your hand, to play with her. You can always pull away and make an 'ouch' noise or 'hiss' at her to tell her that biting is a no-no - whatever noise you make it doesn't have to be loud. It might take a while for her to catch on, but she will.

Don't know if this TCS article will help any, but it might be useful to read just in case!
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once I put her wet food out how long should I keep it in her dish before I take it away?
Wet food is a cooked product so you can leave it out all day. If the weather is super warm / hot / humid, then remove it after a few hours. You can store the bowl in the fridge and take it out again for the next meal.

Also I don't mind but she dose seem to play bite, any advice to help with that before she gets older, I brought her a variety of toys and a cat tree to look out the window. Thank you very much for the help!
These TCS articles will help:

If the siblings have aleady found homes, it's ok to adopt another similar age kitten. Kittens get along with most other kittens. Sometimes you can introduce an older cat to a kitten and it will work out well.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, I was wondering if you ever take your kittens into other rooms of the house using a baby or pet pen? I have her in one room with everything she needs but she even scaled the baby gate I put up. I want to keep her safe but she is so small she fits everywhere right now, any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you may use a pen. Since she’s a baby, she naturally wants to be where you are.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, just another question. My kitten is now 9 weeks old, she was spayed about 2 weeks ago. She uses the litter box a lot, up to 10 times a day but she never strains or cries out. The clumps are the size of a quarter. Do you think this is ok? She is going to the vet this week so I will bring it up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At nine weeks the bladder is still small. I have 2 kittens who are about 10 months old now, and I recall them going much more frequently and smaller amounts a few months back than they do now. It can’t hurt to ask the vet.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you sarthur! How big are you kittens now and has their personalities changed a lot since they were my kittens age? I am still trying to pick a name for her but right now she is snuggly and playful! Th