2 Month Old Kitten Died, Now His Brother Cries

Honolulu75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 weeks ago, we adopted 2 8 week old kittens. They were litter mates. Just yesterday we took them both in for neutering. One passed away. We are devastated. The one that survived is crying when alone and looking for his brother. Do we let him work it out, or do we get a new kitten? The mama is also up for adoption. Is that something to consider? She’s 1 year old. Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are willing to take on mom, that would be wonderful. Your remaining kitten would benefit from having a distraction right now, so another kitten would be good too. You will be blessed for your concern and love. Please let us know what
you decide.
The chances of a kitten dying while being neutered is very small. But it does happen, and I am so very sorry for your pain. Your kitten lost a brother, and you lost a little part of your heart. It brings me to tears when I try to understand WHY something like this has to happen, it just isn't right, it is too hard to accept.......but that sweet little boy is gone and you are left behind to comfort his brother and to pick up the pieces. Two weeks to know someone is not a long time, but I know you grew to love him and he was a part of the family. The bond you developed will never leave you, that tiny scrap of love he left you will be forever tied to your soul. Remember him as the rambunctious little whirlwind he was. He would never want to bring you pain, you know how kittens are, he would want you to go on and find happiness once more in your life, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go.
Even in the midst of your own pain, you think of his brother, that shows what kind of caring heart you have. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care....RIP precious little boy. Although your time on this earth was not near long enough, you left a mark on so many hearts. You will never be forgotten, your own love will be perpetuated through your brother. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss, yes I would take the mother if it was me! It would help all involved out, even you! :rbheart:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a beloved kitty no matter how long they are with us. :hugs:

Please consider taking his mama in. She can help reassure him. It would be good for all of you for her to be there.

RIP little one. You will always be loved and never forgotten. :rbheart:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The surviving one has been neutered? Male or female?

Have you check the survivor health? In my opinion, I would refrain to adopt another cat before making sure the kitten is in good health. However, joining his/her mam may not be so risky, in my view.

Meanwhile, 8 weeks is a minimal age for adoption, according to some people. However, bear in mind that this age is an average, and only the mama cat knows better the precise age when the cubs can be independent.

Taking mama in may be a good way to make sure the independence age is the right one.

I am sorry to hear that a cat so young crossed the bridge.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would love to hear that mama has a home with you. But do this soon, while they have stronge memories of each other.

Rest you gentle, Little Boy, dream you deep. Your tiny life mattered, and you are remembered forever.