2 Kittens... both with diarrhea - advice please!

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All 

Just joined up here as I really need some advice! It's a long one! 

We've had our female kittens for 3 weeks now and got them thru a private seller - pretty sure we did them a favour as the house was a mess and stank! The poor girls really stank of cat wee! Anyway, the seller said they were 8 and a half weeks old altho we (and our vet) thinks they were a little younger, more along the lines of 7 weeks. We named them Misty (grey and white) and Mittens (black and white)

Sooooo, we brought them home and kept a litter box in our living room, along with their food dishes on the opposite side of the room - all the right things for settling in a kitten to a new home. The seller we bought them from gave me a tin of the food they'd been eating and it was ADULT cat food! Hence we changed that straight away to kitten food. With hindsight, I should have done that gradually but I was keen to get them on the correct food for their ages. They seemed fine with this change and devoured their food at regular intervals. We always made sure there was a bowl of food, kitten biscuits and also fresh water so they could eat whenever they wanted. After about 4 or 5 days, Misty started to develop soft stools which rapidly changed to diarrhea. By the time we had them a week, Misty was very quiet and lethargic. Not herself at all. It was the weekend (bank holiday as well!) but she got so bad that we took her to an emergency vet on the Bank Holiday Monday. He gave her an antibiotic injection as well as 40ml of saline solution and also gave us some Synulox (sp?) to give her for the next 5 days which we did religiously.

We had an appointment at our regular vet the day after bank holiday as the kittens were scheduled to get their vaccinations (which the vet decided to put off for now) so took them both down and asked what we could do to help with the diarrhea. We were advised chicken and rice rather than their wet food. We were also given a worming tablet to share between them as they were too light for the stuff that goes on the back of the neck.

We started doing this and still there was no change. After 3 days on the antibiotics, we rang the vet and said that there was no change with Misty's diarrhea and Mittens had started getting soft stools, even tho she was also eating the chicken and rice! They gave us a binding pro biotic paste to try which we did with Misty as she was the worst. This didnt really help either and in the mean time, Mitten's had developed diarrhea, so we tried giving her the paste as well. She spent the following day very quiet, no appetite and very listless. A week had gone by since their last vet visit and they were due to go back to see if they were well enough for their vaccinations, but because MIttens had gotten unwell, the jabs were put off again for the following week. The vet decided that Mittens was ok and was probably just fighting off a viral thing and would more than likely get better on her own. During the course of that day, she got worse, and hadnt eaten for 24 hours and we were at our witsend with the whole situation. We rang the vet again in the morning and it was a different one who said to bring her down straight away, which we did. She was given a long acting antibiotic shot, 7ml of saline and a vitamin b12 injection. He said she should start feeling better within 24 hours. The same evening she was almost back to her usual self. Still with runny poo but much more active and actually eating! 

*phew*! Sooooo here we are to this weekend - today .... Misty still has VERY soft poo, almost diarrhe-like, and Mittens does too and actually seems lethargic again with a reduced appetite. Both were fine in themselves till this morning. Misty is still bouncing around like your average kitten but Mittens just seems like she cant be bothered. Food wise, they're still on the chicken and rice, atlho once both kittens started firming up, I started mashing a few small chunks of their kitten food into the chicken and rice. 

It almost seems like they could both do with another round of antibiotics as they're obviously still fighting something, especially Mittens. 

Both kittens have their vaccinations appointment on Tuesday and they'll be seen by the vet who told us that Mittens would be fine and was probably fighting something viral, so I know for sure she'll probably say the same thing, even with the events of last week! 

Do we insist on a second opinion if she says the kittens are fine? Is it the re-introduction of the kitten food (even tho it's such a small amount) Could they do with another round of anti biotics? 

We really dont know what to do and these multiple vet appointments are costing an absolute fortune! The bank holiday emergency appointment pretty much wiped us out, the costs were horrendous! 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mittens has just vomitted and the only stuff that came up was the kitten food.. no chicken or rice, just kitten food! So I've emptied out their dishes and gone back to plain chicken and rice and also taken away their biscuits for now. 

Gonna see how she fares the rest of today and this evening and will make an appointment tomorrow for her. 

Opinions are welcomed on what it could be tho please! :) x

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi and welcome to TCS!

i'm so very sorry your Misty and Mittens are experiencing this! 

it's great that you're working with your vet's on treating this, really the best possible thing to do.

i've got two kittens, 9 months old now, that went through some severe gastro upset recently -- diarrhea and vomiting, as well as loss of appetite.  your vet is probably going to need to rule out possibilities before arriving at a diagnosis, but i'm sure some testing has already been done.

some things that come to my mind to ask are -- do you have any houseplants? do your girls go outdoors (my thought is access to other plants, as well as bugs)? kittens get into all sorts of things, which is part of being a kitten and exploring and playing. my vet and i believe my girls were experiencing their severe gastro upset from eating a particular kind of bug that was getting into our home via firewood -- no firewood in our home now, it was moved to the back porch. my girls would hunt, catch, play with, then eat those bugs. and it can be very hard to get a bug away from a cat, because if they think you're going to take it away from them they'll many times eat it immediately.

i'd definitely plan on either having your girls see your vet, or at the very least touch base with your vet via phone tomorrow. i would strongly suggest not changing anything with their food unless you discuss it first with your vet. this is a time for you to work closely with your vet, as a team. something you might ask your vet about is whether you should feed your girls stage 1 meat baby food in the jars (gerber or beechnut, the kind that's pureed and only has chicken/turkey/ham/beef, water, and some have a bit of cornstarch in them), along with continuing the probiotic. your Misty and Mittens have been experiencing serious gastro upset, and the jar baby food is very gentle on the tummy and easy to digest. our vet had my deedee and punkin stay only eating the jar baby food for a full 7 days. the probiotic will help to replenish your girls 'good' gut bacteria, but know that it can take anywhere from 10 to up to 30 days for their 'good' gut bacteria to become replenished/re-established.

i'd stick with only the chicken and rice, at least until your girls have either seen the vet or you've discussed things with your vet on the phone tomorrow.

it sounds like the seller's home was not clean, and it's possible the environment or even whatever your girls were eating there had an effect on them. there would be some 'unknowns' about before your Misty and Mittens came to join your family. however, it's also quite possible that the new (age appropriate) kitten foods your girls were enjoying with you in their new home were a bit more of a change in diet than their systems could handle. this can happen, and it did with one of my girls when she first came home with me.

i'm sure others will be along shortly to reply. we're here for you, to help in any way we're able to as well as for support and encouragement! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sure this is not only costly, but incredibly frustrating for you. They sure are cute kittens!

Since they are unwell, I would continue to hold off on vaccines for now.

A few things come to mind as far as what it might be. First, what color is their stool?

kay7cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only food that worked on my adult cat for diarrhea and blood is Royal Canin gastro intestinal vet prescibed.We tried everything before we found this!

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies :) 

It has been very frustrating for us. I've had cats and kittens all my life and never had this problem for so long - the usual upset tummy from new surroundings, food etc but nothing that's gone back and forth like this!

Update :  It seems that MIttens has improved....even the diarrhea this morning is a little firmer than it was and as of yesterday afternoon, in herself she's REALLY perked up and is eating, running around and playing. Both of them are like this lol! Misty still has very soft poo, not quite diarrhea tho which in itself is an improvement too. 

MicksnSnicks, we will be holding off on the vaccinations but we'll still take both of them to see the vet on Tuesday. I dont think we need to take Mittens before then as she's eating and drinking and back to her cheeky self again... it's only one more day and if she does go quiet again today, we can make an emergency appointment if needed. Neither of them have access to the garden yet (they wont till they're both spayed, chipped and vaccinated) and we dont have any indoor plants. As far as I know they havent eaten any bugs, altho we do get the odd house spider which are usually harmless. 

Sarthur 2, their poos are a kind of tan brown - I have been looking out for yellowy/orange style poos but mostly they've been between light to mid brown. The diarrhea itself has been light brown if that's of any help. 

Kay7cats, an online friend mentioned this food to me yesterday. I think we'll be having a chat to the vet about another switch in food as my biggest worry is that the kittens arent getting the essential nutrients for growth etc from just chicken and rice and they've been on it pretty much solidly for almost 2 weeks! At least with the Royal Canin Gastro food, they'll get some vitamins and minerals into them! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for your replies :) 

It has been very frustrating for us. I've had cats and kittens all my life and never had this problem for so long - the usual upset tummy from new surroundings, food etc but nothing that's gone back and forth like this!

Update :  It seems that MIttens has improved....even the diarrhea this morning is a little firmer than it was and as of yesterday afternoon, in herself she's REALLY perked up and is eating, running around and playing. Both of them are like this lol! Misty still has very soft poo, not quite diarrhea tho which in itself is an improvement too. 

MicksnSnicks, we will be holding off on the vaccinations but we'll still take both of them to see the vet on Tuesday. I dont think we need to take Mittens before then as she's eating and drinking and back to her cheeky self again... it's only one more day and if she does go quiet again today, we can make an emergency appointment if needed. Neither of them have access to the garden yet (they wont till they're both spayed, chipped and vaccinated) and we dont have any indoor plants. As far as I know they havent eaten any bugs, altho we do get the odd house spider which are usually harmless. 

Sarthur 2, their poos are a kind of tan brown - I have been looking out for yellowy/orange style poos but mostly they've been between light to mid brown. The diarrhea itself has been light brown if that's of any help. 

Kay7cats, an online friend mentioned this food to me yesterday. I think we'll be having a chat to the vet about another switch in food as my biggest worry is that the kittens arent getting the essential nutrients for growth etc from just chicken and rice and they've been on it pretty much solidly for almost 2 weeks! At least with the Royal Canin Gastro food, they'll get some vitamins and minerals into them! 
i think that's a good decision. i'll hope that your girls don't experience any further of these symptoms...

how are your Misty and Mittens doing today?

yes, i think i can understand how frustrating this can be for you. i felt very frustrated while my girls were having on and off vomiting and diarrhea. i'd have one of my girls starting to feel better, then 2 or 3 days later she'd be having vomiting and diarrhea again. sending 
's...

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Micknsnicks! Yes it really does seem to be a rollercoaster with these 2 girls bless them! 

Both are doing great today, they've been eating like absolute pigs all day lol but I guess thats what happens when it's just chicken and rice that they're eating! They've been playing, eating, sleeping... and pooping... still not great in the poo department but it has improved from the liquid that it was! 

They both have the vets tomorrow anyways, so I'll get my husband to speak to her about getting them on a gastro friendly wet food over the next couple of weeks! Also we need to ask when we can start giving them their dry food again (they would normally have wet and dry in different dishes) We have 2 big bags of dry food which were free when we got them into the vet's Health Pet Club a couple of weeks ago.

This has to be better than the Whiskas Kitten biscuits that they were on before we started giving them the chicken and rice?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no blood tests were done. I think my vet would have done so for safety measures.

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they thought it was a straight forward bacterial infection that antibiotics would take care of.

Took them to the vet today and the vet has given both kittens Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Recovery wet food to try for 48 hours mixed in with their chicken and rice. We're also allowed to give them the dry cat food we got from the vets a couple of weeks back seeing as they're both drinking water with no problems. If there's no improvement in the diarrhea then we're to gather stool samples from both for testing. 

Both kittens have been absolutely fine for the last couple of days aside from the diarrhea. They're eating, drinking, peeing, playing, sleeping .. it's just this diarrhea! Hopefully this Royal Canin stuff will do the trick! 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like they have been going through so much lately that their poor bodies are just in an uproar. Put off the vaccinations until they are better. It may just be their systems getting use to all the new stuff. Don't change a whole lot at once because that can upset their tummies. It sounds like you are doing a great job with them. As long as they are eating, drinking, playing and using the potty then I would hold off on any more antibiotics right now. If they start getting lethargic and not eating then you need to get them right back to the vet and have them to blood work to make sure it's nothing worse. If they came from a nasty home there is no telling what they could have picked up.

skidmoresusan3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with kntryr256. Antibiotics are usually used for acute conditions arnt they? Like UTI or wounds...cats like regularity.. (I foster strategy kittens ) changes in diet not a way to go. Also..I rely on high quality commercial food. Indoor cats don't have access to bugs and small prey..kittens need mother's milk for all sorts of things that help their immune systems develop..eye development is crucial..I keep a regular schedule..so they do too
.like human babies. .good luck! You seem quite devoted. They are lucky kitties.

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update : 

The kittens have been eating the Royal Canin Gastro mixed in with their chicken and rice since yesterday now and are clearing their bowls every time :) Last night Misty did a soft (but not runny!!) poo.... Mittens was a little softer but again, firmer than it has been! 

This morning I cleaned one firm looking poo and one that was a little less, but certainly not diarrhea! Seems this stuff is working!! *touches wood, touches head*

I need to see how they go thru today, but hopefully this continues!! 

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words 

Last edited:

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens have had a couple of poos each today and each one has been firmer than the last! 

If they're still firm tomorrow then we'll call the vet and let her know, and ask what's the next step with regards to their food... do we continue with the Royal Canin for a week or so, or start mixing in their kitten food?

I think if it was up to me, I'd be inclined to leave them on the Royal Canin Gastro for a little longer just to be on the safe side and then start mixing in their kitten food gradually over a period of a couple of weeks... but I'm no vet lol,so will make sure we're doing the right thing first! We dont want to revert the poor little mites back to diarrhea! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yay! for firm poos! 

i think we can never go wrong taking it very slowly and cautiously with food transitions, especially after kitty(-ies) have had gastro upset.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens have had a couple of poos each today and each one has been firmer than the last! 

If they're still firm tomorrow then we'll call the vet and let her know, and ask what's the next step with regards to their food... do we continue with the Royal Canin for a week or so, or start mixing in their kitten food?

I think if it was up to me, I'd be inclined to leave them on the Royal Canin Gastro for a little longer just to be on the safe side and then start mixing in their kitten food gradually over a period of a couple of weeks... but I'm no vet lol,so will make sure we're doing the right thing first! We dont want to revert the poor little mites back to diarrhea! 
Stay with what you're using for the time being. You don't want to rush into changing their food so quickly. I'd give at least 2 weeks of normal business before changing their food again. Better to be safe than sorry and think of their poor little tummies having to digest new food every other day

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens havent actually done a poo today! Spoke to the vet on the phone and we have some more of the Royal Canin Gastro food now so we'll give it a couple more days of how it is now (a third Royal Canin, a third chicken and a third rice) and then start reducing the rice over the weekend and then the chicken thru next week so that they'll be on just the Royal Canin. We'll leave them on that for a week or two and then start phasing in their kitten food very slowly. Hopefully that should keep them settled :) 

Thanks again for all your help and advice, it's been much appreciated!