2 kittens 3lbs about 12 weeks

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We caught two kittens in our traps and I was hoping the cat rescue I volunteer with would take them in but they said thy were too feral. They are going to treat, vaccinate and fix and then give them back to me to release back to the colony. I'm leaving for over a week on Thursday r I would bring them in and see if a opulent days will reveal potential but since I'll be away I can't do that. What do you guys think of the potential of these guys? It feels so wrong to me to release them. Ugh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Typos. Ugh. I meant to say if I was around I would watch them for a couple of days to see if they came around at all.

taters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel for your situation.  It is hard when you start to feel "responsible" for a feral animal.  Is the weather where you are located too severe to leave them in a garage, with someone (friend or pet sitter) to check on them daily to feed them and change the water and litter (leave a few litter boxes with litter, newspapers scattered to protect your floor).  If you are not amenable to this (potential pottying outside the litter box), is there a friend who can visit your location to feed the kitties on a routine (to facilitate their likelihood of sticking around)?

Good luck--it is very nice of you to do all that you have done for them!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You want to foster them yourself?  So the question is not if you can foster them - you surely can without big troubles, if they are still kittens.  The question is if you can have them somewhere the week you are away.   as the convalescent time will  be perhaps 24 hours for male, and less than a week for females, so they will probably want to leave as soon they can manage.

Anyway, if you do have this garage, and someone who is wiling to be cat sitter, do this try.  As suggested above.

If you do have access to dog cages, it may be even easier and safer to keep them there in this garage and in these cages.  Less risk of them escaping when the catsitter open the doors of the garage

Good luck!

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm asking if you guys think they are too feral at this age? What are the chances they will be adoptable? i dont have any experience with that. I absolutely cannot ask my cat sitter to take care of theses two along with all that she's doing for me already. I already have my own and fosters that she needs to medicate and whatnot. I do have someone feeding the colony, which is at my work,while I'm gone. If the kittens are put back out they will be fed.

Ugh. I feel awful having to send these little guys back out. I'm still working on setting up the shelters and all but they do have some warm places to be until I get everything completly set up. Ugh.

taters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NEVER too old to tame!  We have "adopted" and tamed feral cats that were up to six years (estimated) old. They may have some residual odd habits (like spinning on their tip toes like a ballerina at feeding time, OR "burying" their leftover food with invisible dirt, OR swishing  invisible "leaves" of the top of their drinking water), but they are affectionate and litter-trained.

I know you must be feeling terrible angst--it means you have a very compassionate heart.  I hope they will be fine, whatever you decide to do for the interim.

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a short-term plan for now.  I found a co-worker who is willing to work with them while I'm on vacation. He also feels the way I do that we should at least give them a chance.  So, I'm going to pick them up from the vet and drop them off at his house.  When I get back from vacation we will go from there.  I'm feeling better now that I have found someone to help while I'm on vacation.  I didn't want to ask him because he's already feeding the colony while I'm away.  I didn't want him to have to do so much.  I feel much better, though.  Hopefully he will update me while I'm on vacation and say they have turned into cuddle bugs. lol

taters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome---it is terrific that your coworker is as animal-loving as you are, and will help!  It may take a while for them to become "cuddle-bugs," LOL, but at least they will be protected now and off to a great start.  Great of you to care for a colony--that is how we "found" our first feral.  A terrific lady in Pennsylvania affiliated with a feral organization took care of a colony near a forest close to our home.  The colony sometimes wandered onto our property, and as a result, Pharoah (tabby, Manx with tail) became our first feral pet (after months of babytalk across the field, food offerings, and lying still on the ground).  The vet said most cats die in the winters in Philly due to starvation, freezing, or foxes.  We are grateful that he was fed, neutered and nurtured! Pharoah was estimated to be about 3 when we tamed him.  Wild as could be at first, but he became our ever-favorite lap cat who slept with us at night (he lived to estimated age of 13, dying from complications of cancer).  Hopefully, your colony members will also find loving homes. Thank you saving & helping so many kitties!

Have a very safe trip!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful you found a solution on this short term problem.

The fostering will probably take  time, effort and lotsa of love, but it will be done.

Why they sometimes say its impossible?   To discourage half hearted attemtps.  To discourage such who thinks

they will be friendly almost immediately, "because Im worth it"

Nay,  but with effort etc, it can and will be done.   :)

Good luck!