2 Cats Lost During A Move

GreenIcePanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my family and I just moved into a new house and a few days later we brought our 3 cats and our doggo to the new house. Within the first hour my one cat, Tonks, was missing. We figured he just went somewhere to hide and didn't think much of it. However, he hasn't been out of wherever he is in days. We think he might have gotten outside. I've been worried out of my min and my family has tried a lot of stuff like searching, putting out alerts on NextDoor and Facebook, putting cat food on the porch first floor and basement, etc, but nothing seems to work. My one cat has been meowing every night for his lost friend. Yesterday afternoon, another one of our cats, Lily, went missing. Again, we didn't think much of it until it was night and she hadn't come for her food. Then we started to panic. So we've been doing the things for both of them now but cannot find either of them. Best part? LILY HAS A LOOKALIKE WHO LOOKS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO HER ON OUR STREET AND TONKS HAS A LOOKALIKE A STREET AWAY! Poor Sirius (my third cat) has been meowing missing his friends/enemies/siblings. I'm worried sick for my little darlings. I'm worried I'll never see them again or that they're hurt or worse. I don't know what else to do. We're putting up missing posters of Tonks tomorrow. What should I do?!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds horrible. I would double check areas around the house, to make sure they haven't gotten stuck in the ceiling, underneath floorboards or anything similar. I don't really have any other advice, but I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you find them. I'm so sorry :(

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
They might be trying to get back to their old home. Try to leave some familiar objects for them outside your door for them to follow the scent on. Search around the new neighborhood as they could also be trapped in somebody else' garage. If you can knock and talk with your new neighbors they may be able to help in case they spot any of your cats.

As for the remaining cat in your home, please ensure that it can't get out of the house. Sirius must familiarize itself with the new surroundings for at least the next several days more.

Goodluck. Keep us informed.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that putting their used litter around the house outside can help them find their way back because of the scents.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cats are indoor only, there is a good chance they are hiding out very nearby. Most will go to the first place they find that is hidden, and camp there out of fear. You should be doing searches of all the areas that would seem to be good hiding places, including bushes, and even up in trees. Dusk and dawn are the best times to go outside and look for them, take a flashlight to hopefully catch their eyes, and also a can/bag of treats/food to shake while calling their names. Any other times of the day/night that you can go out is even better.

If your cats were used to being outdoors, they could be trying to find their way back 'home', as mentioned above. So, putting up flyers in your old neighborhood, and alerting old neighbors, local vets/rescues/etc. would be another worthy effort - especially if you didn't move that far away.

Here is a TCS article about lost cats - not all of it will apply, but there might be some tips in it to help you in your search.
Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreenIcePanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my family and I just moved into a new house and a few days later we brought our 3 cats and our doggo to the new house. Within the first hour my one cat, Tonks, was missing. We figured he just went somewhere to hide and didn't think much of it. However, he hasn't been out of wherever he is in days. We think he might have gotten outside. I've been worried out of my min and my family has tried a lot of stuff like searching, putting out alerts on NextDoor and Facebook, putting cat food on the porch first floor and basement, etc, but nothing seems to work. My one cat has been meowing every night for his lost friend. Yesterday afternoon, another one of our cats, Lily, went missing. Again, we didn't think much of it until it was night and she hadn't come for her food. Then we started to panic. So we've been doing the things for both of them now but cannot find either of them. Best part? LILY HAS A LOOKALIKE WHO LOOKS NEARLY IDENTICAL TO HER ON OUR STREET AND TONKS HAS A LOOKALIKE A STREET AWAY! Poor Sirius (my third cat) has been meowing missing his friends/enemies/siblings. I'm worried sick for my little darlings. I'm worried I'll never see them again or that they're hurt or worse. I don't know what else to do. We're putting up missing posters of Tonks tomorrow. What should I do?!
TONKS HAS BEEN FOUND! He was in the crawl space all along. Now we just need to find Lily.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See this is why I’m particular about my kitty’s collar bells. I need to be able to hear them wherever they are lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreenIcePanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still haven’t found Lily. We think she escaped. Worst part is we’re going on vacation in a few days so we have no clue if she’ll be home to get her food from the sitter! I miss her.