2 cats got along fine up until 24 hours ago, now they hate the sight of one another

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor cats, a 12-year-old female named Willow and Gizmo, a 7-year old male. Both are neutered and have lived together peacefully for about six years. Gizmo sometimes jumps on Willow and they occasionally have minor face-offs where one takes a halfhearted swipe at the other, but overall things have been great. They usually play, use the same litter box and even groom one another. I had multiple boxes for awhile, but they always used the same one anyway so I opted for one big box for ease of cleaning.

Last night I went out for a few hours and came back to what looked like WWIII in the living room. Things were knocked over, there was poop on the furniture, and Gizmo was hiding behind the couch. I managed to coax him out enough to see he wasn't seriously hurt, but as soon as he spotted Willow from across the room (who was not behaving aggressively) he screeched loud enough to wake the dead and shot back behind the couch. I thought he just needed time to cool off, so I cleaned up the mess and left him alone overnight.

Got up in the afternoon, and he's still hiding behind the couch. I coaxed him out again, picked him up and as soon as he saw Willow it was back to screeching and hissing. Then SHE started screeching and hissing. I didn't get clawed or bitten, but Gizmo did pee down the side of my shirt, which was lovely. I tossed him in the laundry where the litterbox is located, gave him some food and water and closed the door. That's where we are now. I've set up another box in a spare bathroom for Willow to use.

They were fine yesterday, but now they can't stand the sight of one another. They've had the occasional minor spat in the past but this is the first time anything like this has happened. I live in an apartment and the only changes I can think of is a pair of swallows have started hanging around my front door. They built a nest in the corner last year and made a huge mess, so I'm going to ask the apartment manager to put up bird spikes on the light fixtures where they perch. Gizmo saw them a few days ago and now tries to make a break for the door to get the birds every time I open it.

How can I get back to a harmonious household?

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet and rule out any health issues. Sounds like he may not feel too well, since he's peeing on you. Has he ever done that on the past? Sometimes when one of my cats don't feel well, they get cranky and or the other cats pick on the one that doesn't feel so well.

fairycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I read a thread recently about something similar, but I can't remember the name of it, it's when one cat turns aggressive on the other. Hopefully someone will know what it is.

My other thought was, there could be a small chance one of them had a seizure and sometimes they lose control of their bowels during one. One of my cats has a minor seizure problem and some of the other cats act strange around her or kind of pick on her when she's had one. Just something to keep in mind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the peeing was because of a health problem or because "I'm so scared I lost control of my bladder" because right now Gizmo is TERRIFIED of Willow. Even just the sight of her through a cracked door is enough to set him screeching and fleeing behind the couch. Willow is not behaving aggressively that I can tell, she only started hissing when Gizmo did.

I found Willow's collar on the ground when I was cleaning up. Going from previous experience, my guess is that he jumped on her and grabbed her by the scruff which she really doesn't like. Before they would break up and go into a staring contest and go their separate ways, but I guess this time she decided she'd had enough and really let him have it. He's got a scratch across the nose but otherwise appears unharmed.

Gizmo has never had any seizures or health problems. Willow has had issues with bladder infections in the past but not for a long time.

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a clear case of redirected aggression. One of them saw something that agitated her, and redirected her aggression at Gizmo. The urine is expelled when a cat is in true fear. With both of them fighting, they may have both urinated. The poor things must be separated, and reintroduced under pleasant circumstances. Perhaps with treats so that they can reverse their negative associations with each other to positive ones. It may take a few days. Try to be patient. They've both been traumatized.

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure if the peeing was because of a health problem or because "I'm so scared I lost control of my bladder" because right now Gizmo is TERRIFIED of Willow. Even just the sight of her through a cracked door is enough to set him screeching and fleeing behind the couch. Willow is not behaving aggressively that I can tell, she only started hissing when Gizmo did.

I found Willow's collar on the ground when I was cleaning up. Going from previous experience, my guess is that he jumped on her and grabbed her by the scruff which she really doesn't like. Before they would break up and go into a staring contest and go their separate ways, but I guess this time she decided she'd had enough and really let him have it. He's got a scratch across the nose but otherwise appears unharmed.

Gizmo has never had any seizures or health problems. Willow has had issues with bladder infections in the past but not for a long time.
I'm wondering why your cat wears a collar?  None of my cats - all strictly indoor - have ever worn collars.  I suspect your cat is an outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat.  That is something you ought to have mentioned.  Perhaps something outside freaked them out.

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm wondering why your cat wears a collar?  None of my cats - all strictly indoor - have ever worn collars.  I suspect your cat is an outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat.  That is something you ought to have mentioned.  Perhaps something outside freaked them out.
They are both 100% indoor cats. Willow used to be indoor/outdoor but when I moved in 2008 she became an indoor only cat. Gizmo has lived all his life indoors. They wear collars with bells so I can keep track of where they are by sound, and so they can't sneak up on one another as easily. When Gizmo was a kitten he didn't wear a collar but he liked to jump out at Willow and it was making her neurotic.

I didn't have nearly this many problems during their actual introduction. I'm really hoping they can go back to being friends again.

Last edited:

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I opened the door on the laundry room to feed the cats and Gizmo squeezed out while Willow was eating in the hall. He didn't act afraid but she hissed at him. I put him back in the laundry room with his bowl and let him out after he finished eating. By that time Willow was in the living room sitting on the couch. Gizmo came down the hall and saw her, and while he didn't act afraid when he turned and went down the hall she got off the couch and went after him. So yeah, I'd say Willow is the aggressor.

I'm going to take them both to the vet (separately) but until this is sorted it's going to be a huge bother to keep them separated where they both have access to a litter box at all times. They both want to be out with me and scratch at the door if I lock them in.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you only have one litter box for then to share? If so, that could become a huge issue later. You need one litter box per cat, plus an extra one. Especially since they are not getting along. One could keep the other from being able to use the litter box, or attack it everytime it's using it, causing it to become affraid of the litter box.
I have 8 litter boxes for 6 cats. When I didn't have enough litter boxes, my cats were peeing all over the house. I thought 5 huge ones would be enough, which they were for quite a while, then eventually that mistake caught up with me. I spent over a month of constant cleaning to remove urine.

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's best to keep them separated when you're not home. Your vet may suggest anti-anxiety medication for both of them to help move them along to trusting each other again. It's not easy to keep them separated, but continued fighting will only worsen the situation. Please keep us posted.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say redirected aggression too, I'll bet an outside tom was seen from the window (maybe trying to get those birds) which scared your cats into fighting. There was one thing I wanted to warn you against, if you take your cats to the vet, take them together, not separately, the strange smells that get on them from the office will cause them not to recognize each other when they get home if only one goes and they will fight again. If they go together, they will smell the same. Every once in a while my two do the same thing, for no apparent reason they attack each other and the hair goes flying, maybe twice a year. I scold the aggressor and put him in a locked room for a short time out, and sooth the one jumped on and after a day or two everything is fine again. There's never a dull moment with cats!

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you only have one litter box for then to share? If so, that could become a huge issue later. You need one litter box per cat, plus an extra one. Especially since they are not getting along. One could keep the other from being able to use the litter box, or attack it everytime it's using it, causing it to become affraid of the litter box.
I have 8 litter boxes for 6 cats. When I didn't have enough litter boxes, my cats were peeing all over the house. I thought 5 huge ones would be enough, which they were for quite a while, then eventually that mistake caught up with me. I spent over a month of constant cleaning to remove urine.
I had one box because they always used the same one. Now there are two boxes because I have to keep them separated all the time. If I let them out together Willow tries to attack Gizmo and he pees.

Right now I'm keeping Willow locked in the laundry room because if I lock up Gizmo he claws at the carpet under the door.

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope this gets resolved soon. I know how stressful this is.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You must be going crazy by now. So sorry this is happening. Hopefully the vet can give you some answers. I also hope they are both ok.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other assessment that Gizmo is redirecting his aggression towards Willow and forced her into a fight or flight situation. Since she chose to fight back (by hissing), it agitated Gizmo further. You are doing the correct first step by keeping them separated before they hurt each other. 

Next step is to calm Gizmo down with feliway and make sure he doesn't see Willow for the next few days until he is more himself. 

After few days, try steps to re-introduce them as if they have never met each other (exchanging scents, feeding them on both sides of the door, etc.). 

Be persistent with your methods and hopefully this nightmare will be over soon.

craftygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aislinn and a few others beat me to it, but yes, this sounds like redirected aggression. 

I have just gotten over this myself with my 2 kitties and had to do a long, very thorough reintroduction with them both. If you find you have to do this, please separate the aggressor and let the submissive/bullied cat have run of the house. This allows the aggressor to calm down in a controlled environment and not be stimulated, while allowing the submissive kitty to reclaim their space and gain confidence. Never leave them alone unmonitored and never let them "work it out". This only makes things worse. 

Reintroduce them as if they are brand new cats and have never seen each other before. This means separating them, giving them very brief peeks and interactions through a cracked or closed door. Monitor them and give them high-value treats or meals with calm praise while this is going on. What you are doing is desensitizing them to each other. Eventually, you will be able to crack the door wider, or even put in baby gates. Always monitor their reactions during a reintroduction session - if one cat seems to get getting worked up or upset, end the session. Always try to end each session on a positive note. Pace reintroduction on the most uncomfortable of the two. For example, if one cat is calm and wants to play, but the other cat is still nervous and anxious, you must go at the nervous/anxious cat's pace. When he/she is also calm and no longer nervous/anxious, then you are ready to move forward.  Lastly, when you are at the point of letting the cats be around each other again, you may want to put temporary collars with bells on them so they are aware of where the other is in the house. This prevents anyone being startled or snuck-up on, resulting in potential set-backs.

Reintroduction may take a few days or a few weeks, depending on their bond beforehand. For me, it took about a month to get things back to "normal". But I am counting my blessings, as some kitties end up being mortal enemies for the rest of their lives after a redirected aggression episode. 

I had to put my aggressive kitty (Lucy) on Prozac to help prevent her from "ramping up" and it has helped immensely. I'm hoping to wean her off it in a month or so. Please don't be shy or afraid to push for this if you feel you need to with your veterinarian. 

Good luck and please let us know how things are going!

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been 10 days and I am still keeping one of them locked up in either the bathroom or laundry room while the other roams free. No health problems to report. I try to alternate so they both have free time, but of course they both hate it when they're the one in solitary.  I've been feeding them on either side of the door and tried letting them out together a couple of times when passing out the treats. Seems they get along fine for a few minutes then one of them remembers, "Oh, we're supposed to be enemies now!" and hisses, which sets the other one off and they start squaring off again. Then Gizmo runs for the couch. There haven't been any physical attacks, but that might be because I break things up by blocking their view of one another with a towel and separate them right away.

This really sucks.

Last edited:

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, Hesster, I feel for you. I hope in time, and with a lot of positive reinforcement, that things go back to normal. It really does suck. I'll be praying for you.

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I got some wire shelving, made a gate and blocked off access to the hall for about a week. One cat on one side, one on the other. At night or when I left, I put one or the other in the laundry room or bathroom. They could see one another, but not get at each other. The first couple of days Gizmo was really fearful. He would make those unhappy growling noises in his throat whenever Willow appeared in his view. For the most part Willow just ignored him. After a couple of days of that, he showed signs of wanting to go through the gate with me, even though he knew Willow was on the other side.

So yesterday he squeezed through the gate when I went from my office in the hall to fix their bowls in the kitchen. They were both so distracted by food they didn't even react to one another. I fed Willow in the laundry room and Gizmo in the office where I was working with the door closed. He jumped up in my lap and the door must not have been closed all the way since Willow opened it and came in. Gizmo stayed on my lap and Willow slept on top of another chair. Now that he wasn't acting fearful, Willow has stopped attacking him and peace has finally returned to the household.

I left them out together Tuesday night and snapped this picture Wednesday morning.

Last edited: