2 And A Half Weeks In - Any Advice??

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya!

My Fiona has now been with us for 2 and a half weeks. She is a 3 year old and we adopted her from the RSPCA. I wrote a week or so ago about how she had a funny couple of days but she soon got over that. Now though, she has been getting more and more confident and more and more playful and cuddly which is just amazing to see. However, the last 2 days she has been going to hide again and I have no idea why :( I have tried all the things that usually gets her happy and excited but its not working. When she has come out, she has wondered out with her tail up high and she will roll over on the her back.
Last night, she had another night of meowing, She has a night light so she can see her way around and I would have thought she cant now get lost from the amount of time she has been with us (plus we only have a 2 bed terrace so not overly huge!)

Is it a case that maybe she is ready to go out and is just getting bored at home?

She has so many toys and a climbing tower but maybe it is just not cutting it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Two and a half weeks is far too soon to allow her to go outside her new home; the usual recommendation is to wait 8 to 12 weeks.

It's not unusual for an adult cat in a new home to have days when she's not as outgoing and confident. Some cats need a few months to completely settle in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two and a half weeks is far too soon to allow her to go outside her new home; the usual recommendation is to wait 8 to 12 weeks.

It's not unusual for an adult cat in a new home to have days when she's not as outgoing and confident. Some cats need a few months to completely settle in
8 - 12 weeks? That is the first I have heard of that. The RSPCA and vet speicalists i work with have been saying 2 - 4 weeks. But I do want to keep her in for as long as I can as she is a bit skittish!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Here in Germany the usual recommendation from shelters is 8 weeks for a tame cat and a minimum of 12 for a semi-feral.

You wouldn't want her in the habit of going outside right now anyway, with New Year's Eve coming up so quickly. So many pets take fright and disappear over the holidays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Torryh91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here in Germany the usual recommendation from shelters is 8 weeks for a tame cat and a minimum of 12 for a semi-feral.

You wouldn't want her in the habit of going outside right now anyway, with New Year's Eve coming up so quickly. So many pets take fright and disappear over the holidays.
Yeah I will probably keep her in as long as I can and as long as she is still happy to be :)
I couldn't bear anything happening to my girl!
Any advice on the meowing at night time and what to do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend keeping a cat in for at least a couple of months, I have seen too many let and never seen again, it is heartbreaking, especially when the people were warned. It is even better to have her in a kennel or even a carrier for a while outside to get her used to the new surroundings, then she could be taken out a little sooner if she is contained. As for the meowing at night, cats are nocturnal animals, it may take her a few months to learn to sleep at night. She may be wanting to go outside, maybe was even outside at night at her old home. She will adjust in time. I would get a cat wand and play with her for about 30 minutes before bedtime, any play that may tire her out. Also feed her at bedtime, most cats sleep after a meal. Coming out with tail high, is good, she is confidant and happy. Rolling and exposing her belly says she trusts you and wants attention. Something may have scared her, even seeing or smelling another cat outside, so it may have been a setback for a while. Company, small children, even a doorbell ringing may scare her until she knows she is firmly a family member. Bless you for taking her in, I pray you grow to love each other, it is well worth it!