1yo, Intact Stray Male, Giardia... Need To Calm

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Please excuse length. Thank you for understanding!*

Hello,

A week ago a friend called, concerned about a stray cat in her neighborhood. She asked for help, and I agreed to take him to a vet to check for a microchip. The kitty is very friendly. He has no microchip, and we realized he isn’t neutered. We decided to get him a health check and have him neutered. Because of his deamenor (belly rubs are his favorite) we thought we could rescue rather than TNR.

Fast forward a week, and Mr. Kitty is now in my guest bathroom. He was given rabies and URI shots, a dose between the shoulders to help with fleas, heart worms, etc (though vet doesn’t believe he had these but just to be safe). Tested NEG for FLV and AIDS. We also did a Stool sample as he had mucousy, bloody stool. Turns out he has giardia.

He has been on medicine for a few days. He takes it well, eats well, and drinks water. He pees about 5 times a day. He weighed in about 9 pounds, I think he has gained a few oz. Also he is about one according to teeth.

The diarrhea, which he had twice, (and very small amounts at that) has for now stopped. He had had one solid stool and I saw no more blood or mucous. Yay! But..... he also hasn’t pooped at all in about 3 days. Ive gently probed his belly and he doesn’t complain. His behavior hasn’t changed.

Isolation I think is my biggest concern. This guy is going a little stir crazy and quite frankly he has several more weeks in isolation if the giardia even clears up this first round of medicine. Also he can’t be neutered until giardia clears, which I’m sure his testosterone is effecting him a bit. I have two girl cats. They have had no contact and I’m unwilling to do any introductions till parasite free and neutered.

I was taking him on walks until giardia discovered. He doesn’t really know how to play. We have given him a few cleanable toys and are trying to teach him. There is a little window to view outside. I don’t know how much he uses it, as when I’m in the room he is sitting in my lap. We have put feliway outside the bathroom door. I’ve give him two Composure treats a day. We visit three times daily.

He has wrenched down the blinds that covered the window. He is chewing on the door frame (which will need to be replaced now), and we’ve tried covering it up with this plastic cover and duct tape tape but he is ripping that up too. He cries frequently. He does have long moments of calm...... but we feel AWFUL.

This was a lot so here are my main questions:

1) should I be concerned he hasn’t pooped in a few days? Can I give anything to help?

2) how can I help him calm? Are there temp SSRIs that I should be considering as he has several more weeks minimum in insolation?

3) anything else I should be doing to clean? I’ve read some of the forums. Mixed opinions on bathing and cleaning strategies so I feel overwhelmed.

The vet I initially took him too has given different advice than my personal vet. I know y’all can’t diagnosis or offer medical advice, and so I’m hoping asking for more opinions doesn’t confuse me further, but I just need some group support. Some people have told me to just drop him off at a shelter but I don’t think this is the right thing to do. He’s a good boy, and I want to give him a home.

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be concerned that he hasn't pooped in a few days.
I kept a feral cat for 8 years, he was an indoor/outdoor cat. The one time I kept him inside under vets instructions was excruciating. He was so stressed, he wanted outside so badly but I was treating an infected wound and the vet wanted him to come in a few times. Walking him on a leash did not help, it made him more anxious and at 10 days I was so happy to let him out again.
When a cat knows they can receive food, clean water, and companionship they will usually stay close by and return often.
I know a lot of people might disagree with me, you might disagree with me because you have spent money and time this really is torture for him. If you don't feel comfortable letting him come and go on his own is it possible to provide him an outdoor habitat? Even a roofed kennel with a shelter in it or a prefab chicken coop.