1st Time Pet Owner | Adopted Stray Had Kittens Please Help!

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am hoping for advice or someone to help me. As a forenote, We have very little money. My boyfriend is a musician and I am self-employed. We live in a studio apt. thats actually an attic converted into two studio apts. to really give u an idea of how little space there is available. Now to explain the situation/predicament.

Back in February a female orange tabby showed up on my doorstep. She had a sweet demeanor and seemed fairly domesticated. We let her come inside and started feeding her when she wanted to go back out we'd let her out. After a couple weeks we realized she was pregnant.

I've never been a pet owner before but we had become attached to "Ginger" and after doing alot of research about feline pregnancy and cat ownership in general we decided to keep her strictly indoors to keep her safe. I did what I could to keep her happy in our small space. She got a window perch, cat toys and now a cat tree takes up a majority of my kitchen...vet costs are not really in our budget I know that's not ideal but we love her and believe that we are better for her than living on the streets. About 2 weeks before she gave birth, we did discover she had parasites so we scraped the cash together and took her to get dewormed. As far as everything else goes I basically have relied on extensive googling.

She gave birth to a litter of 6 kittens, 1 did not make it. The remaining 5 kittens are (seemingly) healthy, she has been a very nurturing mother. For the first 3 weeks they stayed in the kittening box that I had placed in the bottom cabinets of the entertainment center in which I had cleared out and removed the doors from.

As i said there is very little room in our place, because of this it's next to impossible to kitten proof our home. Every extra nook and cranny is storage; behind & underneath furniture, in baskets hanging from the ceiling, on shelves and bookcases. There is no where to put anything away even our closet is packed full. There are no separate rooms that I could use to contain the kittens. I tried building a barrier wall with boxes and random items to close off an area that I already have semi-sectioned out as a dressing/beauty room and it worked for about 4 days but they are very slick and getting more agile everyday and kept escaping. (I might add I think mama was coaxing them to do this cause shed sit on my makeup case/portion of the blockade above them and just look down at them and m...rroeww as if taunting them to scale the wall and make a break for it lol)

So anyhow she is now weaning the kittens (they are 6 weeks old) and keeps her distance most of the time these days. To keep the kittens safe, I ordered a large popup pet playpen and as a result, I no longer have a kitchen. (It takes up the remaining space that the cat tree didnt) I don't mind really but it is only temporary. Inside there is a small litter pan, a diy hidey-hole box that they love to play hide and attack in, some featherballs, and a cat hammock for cozy snoozing. Whenever Ginger wants in we let her in but most of the time she just wants back out once they start trying to nurse.

The kittens are already using the litter tray and eating wet Kitten food in which I've started mixing a bit of kitten kibble with. They are very active, playful, and social. We let them out of the enclosure a couple at a time so we can keep a close eye on them for atleast about 30 min-an hour a day sometimes more than once if we can, so they can get more exercise, become more familiar with us, learn lessons from mama, and experience the world (or at least our livingroom/kitchen) for themselves.

I am trying to save up the cash to get them to the vet for their shots and a checkup but it's difficult to do with our budget and the additional expenses of high quality wet and dry food, non clumping litter & extra pan, and the additions like the playpen and the litter genie/bags. Not to mention, even though we're gonna continue to keep her indoors, we plan on getting ginger spayed asap.

They are all growing rapidly and are at a healthy weight. We do plan on keeping one of the females and have already found a trusted home for one of the males. Which leaves two males (both orange tabby one with a white face) & one female (calico) that need a home. I do have a friend that said she'd take the female but at this time I haven't gotten confirmation.

My initial plan had been to just advertise that I was giving away free kittens. However, she. I started googling to find out where to post the ad I came across many articles that advised against it and educated me on the many dangers of giving pets away for free. It's recommended to charge an adoption fee to minimize the risk of them ending up in a unsafe situation. I'm worried that this might take longer than I had initially expected but I'm not willing to put them at risk by giving them away.

I'm not sure how much longer I can get by barely being able to squeeze by to get to the fridge and to the bathroom. I need to find a home for these kittens soon but how do I find them a good home and charge a fee for kittens that, although smart, sweet, adorable, and well behaved, haven't even been to the vet yet.

What can/should I do? I'm trying my hardest to provide for these lil ones as best as I can but unfortunately even though I'd like to do more I'm just not equipped with the resources or finances to continue looking after these sweeties for much longer. I'd like to find the quickest yet safest route to help find a family for them.

I wouldn't mind keeping them a while longer if I could afford the vet visits and provisions because I think if they were up to date on the medical stuff it would be much easier to charge an adoption fee so they'd have a better chance of going to a happy home.

I believe that taking in mama cat and keeping her and the kittens safe was the right thing to do and I'd do it again in a heartbeat but honestly i wasn't prepared for the whole ordeal. I've just been winging it as I go, trying to improvise with what I have. Please help us!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do not give those babies away for free!! No matter what! Do you have a local animal shelter near you? An SPCA or something? My local SPCA does not turn down kittens. If you take them in and say she was a stray and gave birth, they should help you.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In your situation the best thing to do for the Kittens would be search for rescue organizations and no kill shelters in your area and contact any you find to see if they have room.

Although to be totally honest, if you're that strapped financially they would all be better off if you didn't keep any of them, mom included. Vet costs can add up very quickly and you will need to take your Cat(s) for regular checkups to head off any potential problems. Cats are masters at hiding illness and injury and unfortunately for people who can't afford regular vet visits the first sign of something wrong with their Cat usually means it's gotten so bad they can no longer hide it. In those situations it ends up being more expensive than it would have been otherwise to take care of whatever is wrong, or it may even end up being too late to do anything besides euthanasia to end their suffering.

You did an excellent job giving her a safe place to have and raise her Kittens, but if you can't afford the upkeep there isn't much you can do for them now besides ensure they are taken somewhere they will be safe and properly cared for.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you're that strapped financially they would all be better off if you didn't keep any of them.
To be honest, with the way things are for most cats, if someone can provide a safe non-abusive home, spay/neuter, basic vaccinations, reasonably decent food, and humane euthanasia when the time comes, that's better than what most cats get. So IF a better home came along and offered to adopt them, that would be awesome, but otherwise the home they're in is probably as good as they're gonna get, even if they can't afford yearly checkups or extensive medical care.

Kittens really do much better when they stay with their mother and littermates until 14 weeks. In that kind of space-challenged situation, that might be hard. But definitely don't let them go until 10 weeks minimum. If you charge $15 or $20, that should be enough to weed out most of the riff-raff but shouldn't be so much that nobody wants to spend it.

Just a question that popped into my head---if your place can't be kitten-proofed, what are you going to do about the kitten you keep?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You get this month's GIANT GOLD STAR for being SO caring - - by being concerned enough to take in Ginger...by being resilient enough to roll with the punches of a going from one kitty to one kitty AND 5 little babies.....and by being concerned that you care what type of homes each baby is going to!!!!!!!! :goldstar: And you've been doing a WONDERFUL job caring for the whole family!!!!

First, I want to say that you've come to a great place!!!!! This site is filled with wonderful people, many with alot of experience in all kinds of kitty issues and can answer many types of questions. And it's also full of people who are very caring - - caring about the kitties, and caring about caretakers like you. And most have soft shoulders to lean on. So welcome!!!!

I do want to say I TOTALLY understand the money concerns (my hubby and I are both freelance graphic designers who are self-employed - - -which translates to "no idea where/when/if money's coming next month.") I feel your pain!

Please don't post them anywhere as "free kittens" - no matter how tempting. So not to be a "downer" - - - but I've got alot of experience with this type thing as I've worked at and volunteered for shelters for years, and you'd be absolutely stunned by how many people who (though they sound pleasant and caring) search a city for free animals - free kittens in particular. Which then end up as bait for dog fighting. And in an only a slightly better scenario, often people who take "free kittens" put no "value" on their relationship in the family, so sadly more than you think are willing to leave them behind when they move, just turn them loose when they move or when the kittens are no longer cute kittens but are full-grown cats or if they develop any kind of behavioral issue. The other thing that also happens when someone takes home "free kittens" that, again, when they're no longer tiny snuggly kittens, they drop them off at shelters. Many of which are at capacity, and sadly can't keep them indefinitely.

With your money issues, I really hate to even say this. Particularly since I DEFINITELY understand you wanting to keep her AND a baby - - - I know I'm the weak one at our house! I'm the one in our house that is the first to say "can we just keep the fluffy one?" when we foster, which we do alot - - but luckily I have a hubby who does our financials and is usually able to "talk me in off that ledge." (I often say if my hubby 'goes' before me, they'll find me under a giant pile of foster kittens!) But you might want to at least do your financial "due diligence" and even think about keeping only Ginger, as having kitties (or any animal for that matter) isn't cheap. And I really don't want to scare you - - as you sound like you'd be a WONDERFUL, caring caretaker of both Ginger and her kitten, which is hard to find! But do know the rough estimated cost for having just one cat is approximately $850-1,000 the first year, after which it goes down just a tad, since certain things only need to be done once (like spaying or neutering, microchipping, etc.). And that rough estimate doesn't take into account any major illnesses, etc. I only say all of this so that you take a moment to think, to breathe, and to discuss what's truly possible. And keeping Ginger is the biggest help, as most shelters find it FAR harder to find homes for adult cats than fluffy, bouncy fur balls!

The best way is to begin immediately researching shelters in your area - - ASAP (if not sooner!) as kitten season is coming into full swing, and shelters are already getting overloaded. So practice your begging!!!! :please:Find out which shelters are truly "no kill" - -and if at ALL possible, go to visit them and tell them your story (you can just call on the phone, but speaking from experience - - you'll be paid more attention and have a much higher chance of getting a "yes - we'll take them" if you are actually standing in front of them (that's my old "worked at/answered the phone at many shelters tip!). The other thing to do RIGHT NOW is to find whichever friend you know that's the best photographer, have an afternoon "kitten photo shoot" (you can send me a note re: what makes a good shot that grabs attention and tugs at the viewer's heartstrings! I'd be happy to share tips with you). Get that out immediately on your social media - - ask friends share as much as possible (I've had "friends of friends of a friend's lawyer" get a note about kittens I'm fostering - -and they made a WONDERFUL adoptive kitten parents!!!!!). But DON'T say "free" - ask for a small amount, and when they come to see them, have a form for them to fill out (it really will make them feel more responsible!). I can send you what I use, if you like.

Hope that helped -- and again - - what a wonderful cat parent you are!!!!!!

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a pregnant stray adopt us as well. I have a very similar set up as you with the kennel too!

Here is what a rescue group told me. It made me sad. They would take all the kittens for me for a very VERY reasonable price, but they wanted them at 8-10 weeks - but not after 10 weeks.

The "sweet" spot for adopting kittens is 8 weeks, after 10 weeks no one wants them because they "don't look like a kitten" anymore and they would likely just sit there for a long time (luckily it was a no-kill shelter) before getting adopted.

I was sad because I wanted to socialize them more and surrender them at 12-14 weeks because I hear they are better cats if they have that extra time with mama and with humans and each other.

So I decided that I'd try to re-home them with a "refundable fee" if they have the kitten spayed or neutered.

btw- they are only 2.5 weeks now and totally cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not give those babies away for free!! No matter what! Do you have a local animal shelter near you? An SPCA or something? My local SPCA does not turn down kittens. If you take them in and say she was a stray and gave birth, they should help you.
After reading the horror stories I read I wouldn't dream of giving them away for free unless it were a family friend. I have a list and am currently emailing various organizations. What I was worried about is if they will make me bring them all in or if it's ok just to take the remaining kittens I haven't been able to find a proper home for.

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be honest, with the way things are for most cats, if someone can provide a safe non-abusive home, spay/neuter, basic vaccinations, reasonably decent food, and humane euthanasia when the time comes, that's better than what most cats get. So IF a better home came along and offered to adopt them, that would be awesome, but otherwise the home they're in is probably as good as they're gonna get, even if they can't afford yearly checkups or extensive medical care.

Kittens really do much better when they stay with their mother and littermates until 14 weeks. In that kind of space-challenged situation, that might be hard. But definitely don't let them go until 10 weeks minimum. If you charge $15 or $20, that should be enough to weed out most of the riff-raff but shouldn't be so much that nobody wants to spend it.

Just a question that popped into my head---if your place can't be kitten-proofed, what are you going to do about the kitten you keep?
We are in the process of downsizing and brainstorming better storage solutions. We are in a bit of a standstill because of the current setup but once the rest of the kittens are rehomed we are planning on putting up an adequate enough divider to keep ginger and pepper in one area while we tackle the other and rearrange some things. I admit that my place is much smaller than an ideal pet home but with a little work it can made safe at least. its just taking a little bit of time to get there, not to mention we are hoping to move into a bigger place soon especially now that we have more important additions to our house hold to consider aside from needing more room for all my shoes. Yes we've had financial set backs but if god willing its only temporary. I couldn't help but decide to keep Pepper. She is the runt, last one born and the one right before her was the one who didn't make it so I was scared that she'd be the same. Then there was this teeny gray kitten that was so precious & I fell in love. Even more so as she grows. she's so playful and smart. Its like she decided she wanted us too. She is responsive to us. When she's out she comes right on up to greet us. She doesn't cry when we pick her up, She just nestles on up to us and rubs her cheek all over is to leave her scent. I just have to keep her I know ill be able to take care of her. Its covering the costs of all 6 cats that is not feasible right now namely because it wasn't planned and happened so fast.

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update on how things are going. Kittens are almost 8 weeks now. I found a good home for two of them. They are still here with Ginger and will be for another few weeks as to follow y'alls advice. As far as the two orange males I have both good and bad news. The good news is that I was lucky enough to have found a very proactive organization that agreed to take them and get them all fixed up and ready to be adopted. The bad news is I had to let them pick the boys up yesterday because they said they wouldn't be able to take them after 8 weeks. I wish they could have stayed longer like the rest of them but I didnt want to risk not being able to find a suitable option for them cause as y'all warned me, all the programs are pretty well filled up right now. As far as the accommodation issue I was concerned about... We have managed to tackle a lot more than I thought wed be able to and the kittens are no longer confined to the playpen. They now have the entire kitchen area aside from a small portion where the sink oven and fridge are located. We were able to move our large cabinet unit that we use as a pantry to act as a divider which has (at least for now) blocked their access to the high risk areas like under the sink, behind the appliances, and the danger zone. The passthrough between the Kitchen and living area where we hang all of our pots and pans, keep the spices and cooking utensil holders. The closet now houses Every thing that wasn't attached. And then we took the disassembled large glass tabletop and repurposed it by storing it right inside the closet entrance therefore acting as a barricade so we dont lose any kittens under an avalanche of... Well everything lol. After that and one makeshift doorway later the little guys have a wide open kitten safe zone. Complete with a cat tree, window seats, an assortment of toys, a couple of hidey hole cardboard box forts, litter area, feeding zone and some comfy beds. They are ecstatic. Full of energy, curiosity, and playfulness. We created Ginger a secret escape route cause boy they are a rambunctious bunch. She still spends a little time with them but has definitely started spending more time in here with the adults. She isn't nursing them much anymore but they are eating great and drinking their water. Now that they are perfectly content chasing/pouncing each other and exploring their new and improved space. We can start tackling the rest of the place for the long term. Financial situation has improved somewhat and Ginger has a vet appt. scheduled in three weeks I'm hoping that will give her enough time for her milk to be dried up. Still planning on keeping Pepper and I'm much more confident that we can accommodate all their needs now. I do have some questions/concerns that i planned on asking the vet but since I'm here maybe y'all can help. Im concerned that her breasts (terminology?) are very swollen. I don't know what's normal vs. whats not as far as that goes. I know that when I stopped breast feeding I had pain and swelling before my supply dried up but as a human id just pump any excess to make things more comfortable. So what do u do with a cat? Next concern I have is I think she's freaking out a little that the two boys are gone. It seems like she's sad or scared and I think she might still be looking for them. Cause she's being uncharacteristically vocal and pacing around the house. We tried to lether

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
see us take them out but I don't know if it registered or not. She's still giving attention to the ones that are here but she's acting a little off. Is there something I can do to help her with the transition? And lastly at what age am I supposed to get the kittens vaccinated, est. Cost if possible. And how old does pepper have to be before I can get her spayed?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surgery is safe as soon as the kitten is 2 pounds, which she should be already. But some vets like to wait a little longer. I think 12-14 weeks is ideal for a spay just because it makes me nervous when they're so little.

Ideally the kittens should be vaccinated now, and every 3-4 weeks or so until they're 16 weeks old (8,12,16 would be fine). Cost varies. Call the vet to ask what they charge. Some vets waive the office fee for vaccinations, or if you bring several. There may be a low-cost vaccination program, you can call the shelter to see if they know of any.

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Surgery is safe as soon as the kitten is 2 pounds, which she should be already. But some vets like to wait a little longer. I think 12-14 weeks is ideal for a spay just because it makes me nervous when they're so little.

Ideally the kittens should be vaccinated now, and every 3-4 weeks or so until they're 16 weeks old (8,12,16 would be fine). Cost varies. Call the vet to ask what they charge. Some vets waive the office fee for vaccinations, or if you bring several. There may be a low-cost vaccination program, you can call the shelter to see if they know of any.
I think I do remember seeing something about low cost vaccination services when I was looking for vet. Thank you ill be sure to get them in pretty quick for shots.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful, I am always humbled by people like you and your boyfriend. People who step up and help animal in need when your situation itself could be better, people who spend their hard earned money on helping others while making personal sacrifices. You are heroes, an example of humanity at its best. I hope that the world blesses you for all that you do. Thank you

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are beautiful, I am always humbled by people like you and your boyfriend. People who step up and help animal in need when your situation itself could be better, people who spend their hard earned money on helping others while making personal sacrifices. You are heroes, an example of humanity at its best. I hope that the world blesses you for all that you do. Thank you
Thank you but really I don't feel like I should get any recognition for doing something that I believe just ought to be what anyone would do. So while I dont feel like I deserve an award I can admit that it has been a rather rewarding experience in itself. I've sacrificed a lot in my life for people who wouldnt lift a finger in my time of need. In fact its played a role in why ive been struggling now. For Ginger and these babies though, it doesnt feel like a sacrifice. They genuinely needed me. They don't have an ulterior motive or vindictive intentions. They just want to live life, be loved, bite my toes and make sure I know that I'm welcome to stay in their home lol. They appreciate what I do for them and they make me laugh and comfort me when I cry. Its innocent and its genuine. Which is more than what we've been shown by most of the humans we've run into here lately. Ginger might be a diva and have quite an (entertaining) attitude problem, but ill tell you what when I fell off the chair I was standing on and hurt my knee a couple days ago. She ran right over to me and laid on the ground with her paw on me till my boyfriend got home. (I guess she could have been claiming me as her snack if I didnt make it but something tells me that wasn't it lol) as for the kittens ive never laughed so much in my life till they started running around here. They've pulled me out of a state morose and im very greatful for that. So its not a sacrifice its a privilege and id do it again. As a side note back in January I didnt even know I liked cats so if they've impacted me this much then pardon my French but screw anyone that would be mean to such a fascinating creature. I just can't fathom how anyone could be so evil.

Thanks for all the help I've gotten from this platform. Whether it was from y'all answering my questions or from browsing through past posts of folks y'all have helped before.