1st time momma of pregnant cat? Tips on the pregnancy and delivery?

JustAgirlWHOlovesHERkitti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma kitty is pregnant, I think! Her belly is bigger and nipples are to! This is all new to me, what do I need to do...any special foods to feed her ect...and also preparing for babies as well! Thanks yall she is my baby and I want the very best for her!!!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Have you taken her to a vet yet? If not, I would schedule a visit ASAP, to make sure she is pregnant, and if so, make sure she is the healthiest she can be for what's to come. An ultrasound and bloods is also a good idea if you can afford it, to check how far along she is and ensure everything is going good with kitten development. A vet will also be able to advise you on signs to watch out for, and how to help her through delivery.

I find it best, in my experience, to feed her on kitten food for the duration of her pregnancy and until she has weaned. Lots of wet food, but I free fed dry as well. Nothing is too much for a pregnant mama, let her eat as much as she wants. The kitten food has extra nutrients and fats, which she will need while feeding her growing babies.

Set up a nice big box, playpen or similar somewhere quiet, where no one goes very often and she won't be disturbed. Put some blankets with her scent on it in there and make it as dark as possible. It's likely she won't use this box, but if you can encourage her to it would be ideal, and even somewhere to move the kittens to after she gives birth. If you have other cats, I recommend separating her from them when she gets closer to her due date or starts going into labour. You want to keep her as stress free for this entire progress as possible, and sometimes other cats can disturb her while she is in labour or trying to feed her kittens.

Also be prepared to find kittens EVERWHERE after they arrive. The slightest disturbance and mama cats will move their babies to what they think is a safer location. So I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere in the dark, or moving furniture without a head count.

A good worming schedule is also good, and can differ from a normal schedule now that she is pregnant. It would be a good idea to discuss safe products and schedules with your vet, but a helpful article I have found is this: Worming Pregnant Cats and Kittens.

Do you know what you are going to do with the kittens once they are weaned?

I am sure there is a lot I have missed, and I am also sure others will come along with advice of their own.

Just remember, healthy mama, healthy kittens (most of the time...). If you are concerned, contact a vet. Oh, and enjoy!