1st time mama/ cords connected

Amy43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a first time mama cat and she had five kittens but two of them passed, she didn't completely take off the placenta and I came home to this from Work and now three of them are still connected with their cords tangled to the placenta, there's no room to tie off either. What do I do? I cannot afford to take them to the vet right now I'm not in a position that I can. is there anyone that can give me any suggestions? I've never ran into this before.....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just pinch off each cord close to the placenta itself. Once the kittens are free and you dispose of the placentas, you can see if any of the cords need to be shortened. If so, pinch off with your fingers about one inch from the kitten’s naval. The cords fall off in about 5-7 days.

Make sure all kittens are put to a nipple to nurse. How is mama cat doing?

I’m sorry two have passed. Do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans?

Amy43 Amy43

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amy43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I'm going to get her fixed because it's been hard and the new mom only goes to the kittens every so often, But other than that she is doing good I just think she's probably in shock after that birth, you know not knowing what to think about all that stuff going on bless her heart. Thank you for the response I appreciate it.