1st Time Being "mom" to a "bottle baby" NEED HELP!

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've owned many cats in my life,

This is my fighter! This is the special little guy that I've been hand feeding since birth. He was only about 1 1/2 weeks old in this pic. We don't really use the bottle since he seems to do MUCH better with the oral medicine syringes 

This is the same little survivor, at maybe 4 days old or so. You can see the small progress & growth he'd made between this pic, & later in the pic just before this one. And now he's looking even better & much bigger 

This was him when he was just a few days old, and before he'd even opened his eyes.  

This is my husband holding the other kitten just a couple days ago. This is the lucky baby who was born with the immediate ability to locate & nurse correctly, and she's a beast!
Very big girl & so adorable! 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Two threads have been merged here.

A LITTLE WHILE AGO TODAY, I FIRST POSTED THIS THREAD IN THE CATEGORY "Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care", and so far haven't gotten any replies. BUT the constipation has gotten worse and am really in desperate need of advice. I'm still adding a few drops of canola oil to each milk serving as well as a few EXTRA drops of Karo syrup. But, his tummy is starting to bloat again and he's begun whining loudly, much like he does when he's hungry, BUT he's not wanting to eat anything, so I KNOW the discomfort of the constipation, has GOT to be the cause of his cries. PLEASE HELP. Thank you 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  
  I love the photos of your little kittens and of mama.  Hopefully one of our many experts in bottle feeding will be along soon to give you some advice.  I've never had the experience so am not sure I'd have much to offer.  All I know is it's hard, round the clock work! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get goats milk? preferably raw goats milk, fresh or frozen.  If not, botlled cartooned or powdered are entirely OK to use, as long as its not any funny diet low fat version.  It shall be at least 2,8%.

The KMR you had should be OK, but some individuals need a change anyways.  The powdered version is safer then the premade liquid.  Its PetAg  KMR yout talk about right?

Some canola oil with the milk should do the trick, as you are already doing.  Its not resulting immediately..  If you can get liquid paraffine oi, or food grade minerale oil, l its even more potent.... 

Make sure he gets enough with liquid. Perhaps some drops of water betwen the feedings?

Other tricks:  get such a glycerine kones as for humans.  But make just a tiiny sliver out of it.  Put it into the anus...  Its solving itself in the warm and softening up the hardened poo...

As last line of defence there is enema.  Its not that hard to do if you know how.  The vet technician can perhaps show you, as you DO have contact with them?

Before it has gone so long, there is one useful trick if the usual stimulation is difficult:   use warm running water: lay the kitten in one palm - if necessary in a little towel so its not slippery. Put the other end under the warm running water, and tap with the forefinger on the private parts - it feels as when momma is licking...  Usually it works nicely.

Be very sure the kitten doesnt get chilled out... not during the procedure nor afterwards.

If he get boated by gases, you can give a couple of drops of simethicone with this formula / goats milk.  The same as for babies. Mylene is a brand often recommended by SArthur - this brand is common in  USA.

Good if you have a scale - best is electronical measuring in grammes.  So you KNOW exactly how much he is gaining daily...

Last - this formula you got the recipe for, its surely OK to use if you dont have anything else - but normally its inferior both to any good kmr, and goats milk....

RAW goats milk is double useful for this little one - as it does contains some natural antibodies and antiinflammation protection - as it comes direclty from alive moms.

I think its the most importanf for now.

Please come back with further reports, and further questions.

Good luck!

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you mean by pumpkin? Like actual pumpkin? Also, when you mention probiotics... is there a certain specific type or brand I should get... or a specific place I need to buy from? Thanks for the suggestions :) 

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@StefanZ  Thanks SO MUCH for all the help and advice! I have been giving him a little canola oil in his milk feedings, with each feeding. I now am giving him bits of water in between feedings, and also went out and bought the suppositorys and inserted a sliver at a time, after 2nd time administering that, he immediately started poo'ing. I was actually in schock at the amount he'd had backed up inside his poor tiny little body, but I think he's GOT to feel a good bit of relief and has been napping hard since then. I really appreciate all your concern and helpful information. I'll keep updated with his progress and will definitely be returning with any future questions! :) Thanks again

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

@StefanZ  Thanks SO MUCH for all the help and advice! I have been giving him a little canola oil in his milk feedings, with each feeding. I now am giving him bits of water in between feedings, and also went out and bought the suppositorys and inserted a sliver at a time, after 2nd time administering that, he immediately started poo'ing. I was actually in schock at the amount he'd had backed up inside his poor tiny little body, but I think he's GOT to feel a good bit of relief and has been napping hard since then. I really appreciate all your concern and helpful information. I'll keep updated with his progress and will definitely be returning with any future questions! :) Thanks again
Tx you for this nice report, its a relief to me too!  NOW it will be easier for me to proceed with my nights sleep!   :)

btw, this with pumpkin - normally we recommend this for somewhat older kittens and cats.  We HAD a forumite whom being desperate tried it with a one week old whom managed and the kitten survived - but its experimental stage with 2 weeks olds, not the recommended established practice.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

What do you mean by pumpkin? Like actual pumpkin? Also, when you mention probiotics... is there a certain specific type or brand I should get... or a specific place I need to buy from? Thanks for the suggestions :) 
BeneBac made by PetAg is a very good brand for orphaned kittens  - you should be able to find it at well sorted pet shops or equivalent shells on Walmart.

So this is probably the main recommendation.

But human probiotics are often useful too. Try to find such with several different bacterias.  S. boulardii bacteria is good to have in the batch.

Anyways, there are quite a few brands for animals and for humans, and most probably works OK or even nicely.

Otherwise, a mild full fat plain youghurt works.  And if it has added acidophilus and bifidus bacteria too, its even terrific - works also as useful nourishment too...

Probiotic most important if they have antibiotica treatment, and or with diarrhea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mrsleberte mrsleberte

You can buy infant glycerin suppositories at a pharmacy, shave a tiny piece off, and insert it. This will normally bring on a poop in a few minutes. Then things should be normal again.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my husband holding the other kitten just a couple days ago. This is the lucky baby who was born with the immediate ability to locate & nurse correctly, and she's a beast! :winner: Very big girl & so adorable! :heart4:  
What a keeper! The kitten too. ;)

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are doing great, both of them. I've been successful in getting them both onto wet canned kitten food, and then to the dry kitten food, that they now eat.... drinking water from a bowl, completely litter trained, etc. My ONLY concern is that the one that I had to hand rear from day one, who's never gotten even a DROP of actual breast milk from her mom, is SO MUCH SMALLER than the other one who was nursed from the beginning. I'm including pics with this post. The calico kitten is the one that was able to nurse from their momma, the more solid black one is the one that was so close to death in the beginning. They just turned 7 weeks old this past Wednesday, 11/23/16

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update. 
  It's wonderful to hear they are both doing so well, especially since the little one was off to such a rocky start.  You and your husband did a great job pulling her through.
  The difference in size with her sibling is really quite something.  No one would ever think they were from the same litter unless you told them.   Are you going to keep them?  They're awfully cute. 

Last edited:

mrsleberte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! ;) It was definitely a labor of love! I've cried so much about this litter, til I just couldn't stand it anymore and HAD to intervene! I agree with you, they don't look at ALL like they're the same age! As far as keeping them, we haven't decided FOR SURE yet..... I'm just about positive that after all the one-on-one attention and care I've had to give to the little one, and HOW ATTACHED I've found myself becoming to her, that I'll probably HAVE to atleast keep her. We've talked about keeping the bigger baby girl, too.... but are also open to finding her a new home, if the right family came along. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I'd have a hard time parting with them, too, especially the little one.  The big girl is really beautiful which will help her find a good home, if you decide to go that route.  Do they have names yet?  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for taking such good care and loving those two sweet little girls, they have a way of worming their way into our hearts! I'm not really surprised at the size difference, we have a little female from across the road who was hand reared by the neighbors, she is very tiny, 5-6 pounds and has had two litters before I had her spayed. I just hated to see those big tom cats following her around and she got huge when pregnant with three kittens. Your other little girl who is nursing got ALL of the nutrients (and the calories) from mom, she didn't have to fight fro food at all, so naturally she would be bigger. I have noticed over the years that smaller litters tend to be larger cats, with the exception of the strongest, who once again would get more food and thus be bigger. I think what you have is normal, your little girl may be small all her life, she'll take longer to grow up, but she knows love and has a wonderful caregiver to help her, so she is happy and content! All the luck, and thank you so much for the update, they are just precious!  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends how much the little one weighs. At 7 weeks she should weigh almost 2LBS.

Personally, I would never be able to give her away. She is so stinkin' cute.