19-yr-old diagnosed w/kidney failure - vets wants euthanasia??????

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow what an amazing photo!!!  I read your post and I'm glad there is some improvement with the eating.  Just one more thought on sub Q hydration having done it myself, and that is this: it isn't stressful - at least not in a cat who can be handled.  They barely realize its even happening. They don't feel the needle, and the result is they feel better really quickly afterwards.  It can even help appetite significantly because they now have less toxins in the blood and actually feel good and feel hungry.  All things being equal, pilling a cat is probably more stressful than giving sub q fluids.

I really urge you to discuss sub q with your vet.  Many cats in renal failure get a new lease on life this way.  And if it doesn't help, you can always stop.  You mentioned in an earlier post that you would discuss sub q fluids with your vet.  Was there a discussion?  What did they say?

Best

Stephen

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Wow what an amazing photo!!!  I read your post and I'm glad there is some improvement with the eating.  Just one more thought on sub Q hydration having done it myself, and that is this: it isn't stressful - at least not in a cat who can be handled.  They barely realize its even happening. They don't feel the needle, and the result is they feel better really quickly afterwards.  It can even help appetite significantly because they now have less toxins in the blood and actually feel good and feel hungry.  All things being equal, pilling a cat is probably more stressful than giving sub q fluids.

I really urge you to discuss sub q with your vet.  Many cats in renal failure get a new lease on life this way.  And if it doesn't help, you can always stop.  You mentioned in an earlier post that you would discuss sub q fluids with your vet.  Was there a discussion?  What did they say?

Best

Stephen
We did this (subq) with our first kitty towards the end and it made both her and hubby and I feel better--knowing we had done all we could for her.  Ultimately, it did get stressful, though, and clear that it was just prolonging the inevitable.  Ultimately, you know your kitty, and yourself, and what you can all live with.  Hoping she stays comfortable and enjoying life for a good while to come!   

cecile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittychick- I am new to this forum but saw your thread and thought that I would respond. I have a 19 year old male domestic shorthair that I have had since he was 6 weeks from the SPCA. Back in November of 2013 I noticed one day that he wasn't walking correctly. His back end was swaying and he would fall like he was drunk. He also is a big "talker" and he was pretty quiet. It was very sudden and I thought that he had a Saddle thrombus, in which case he would have gone downhill very quickly as there is not much to be done about that. I called my vet and rushed him out. She immediately ran blood work and diagnosed him with Stage 2 Renal Failure. She said that although his kidneys were not in great shape his heart is very strong. He is also almost blind according to the vet. They infused him with 150ml of Ringer's Lactate and he seemed to perk up immediately.

The vet put him on a LP Renal diet (Royal Canin brand) and prescribed 150ml of Ringers every 3 days. He is back to his normal old headbutting, conversational self. Our vet said that as long as he has good quality of life, which I think he does, there is no reason to talk about euthanasia at this point.

I would seriously, as some other poster have suggested, talk to the vet about SQ fluids!

cecile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more thing about the SQ fluids. Once she starts getting them she will probably return to eating on her own. Auggie has been eating on his own the whole time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry it's been so long for me to post any follow-up...days seem very full with "all things cat." I'm happy to say that Phoebe has started partially eating on her own! She's still not getting quite enough in on her own, so we're supplementing with one assisted feeding a day. The day I was headed down to talk subq fluids with the vet, it was almost like she knew where I was headed (we all know how it seems they almost read our minds!) and went "h*** no!" and ate her first bites in days! She's drinking well, and back to "chatting me up" while I take a bath. So for now, I think she's doing as well as a 19 year old in kidney failure can do! I'm still going to get down and talk to them about fluids so that I'm up on things before things take a bad turn - which, at her age, it obviously will probably sooner rather than later. But for now - we're thrilled that she's doing so well!!

Sadly - our foster , "Olaf," that we love dearly  (that had to have the eyelid grafts made from the corners of his mouth) we'd decided to actually keep --- has decided he doesn't like 3 of our cats. It's amazing how a tiny little 6 month old guy can be so sweet and cuddly with us, and yet so cat aggressive with a few of ours! We tried to do everything right introduction-wise, but he just incessantly hounds our guys - and not in a playful way. Definitely aggressive. He is getting neutered tomorrow (that was delayed because of his extensive eye surgery) so that may take the cat aggression down (we hope). Luckily - he does already have someone else who wants to adopt him - so we're happy that he won't have to go back to the shelter if we can't keep him. 

Thanks everyone for the helpful and happy thoughts for Phoebe -it's been SO helpful to me -  and I'll post any updates. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad Phoebe is coming around again!  Kidney cats can be so fickle when it comes to food

Sorry it isn't working out with Olaf, but at least he's got someone else waiting in the wings, it neutering doesn't calm him down a bit around your other cats.