19 Year Old Cat Needs Calories...only Eats Gravy

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 19 year old lady, Moose, has been dropping weight over the last year or two and is now very skinny. I know elderly cats often lose a lot of weight and since Moose is nearly 20, I don't think there is much that can be done other than trying to find her something she likes. Moose was aleways picky and would typically lick the gravy off of the wet food, leaving the solid stuff behind...she has done this for the last 10 years. Lately she has trouble getting around and the vet said that she is just getting old, with a chance of kidney issues that isn't unusual for a cat of her age. She still drinks and uses the litterbox well, but arthritis makes it more difficult.
Since she is getting so skinny and only likes the gravy with a small side dish f dry food (avail 24/7), I'd like to see if anyone had a liquid/gravy recipe that would be god for her with a high calorie content. I know that she won't be around for to much longer, but I want to make sure that she has enough calories to keep from losing more weight. Thanks in advance to everyone that can help out with this request. Moose will appreciate it as well!

Jim

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes a new food called Creamy Delights. They have milk in it I think, they are higher in calorie than any other of the varieties. My pickiest cat inhaled it like a vacuum.

It is the most well liked high calorie gravy food I've fed any of my cats. They eat it like cats on crack.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try mixing pate style food with warm water to make it more liquidy. That makes the consistency more like gravy, and she may be willing to eat more rather than just licking the gravy off.

Another thing you could try is a chicken flavored baby food. It's nice and smelly, so reluctant eaters who need calories often are interested in it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try mixing pate style food with warm water to make it more liquidy. That makes the consistency more like gravy, and she may be willing to eat more rather than just licking the gravy off.

Another thing you could try is a chicken flavored baby food. It's nice and smelly, so reluctant eaters who need calories often are interested in it.
I keep some of that on hand in case anyone gets sick or i need to hide medicine