18 year old Siamese is very picky about her food question? HELP!!

marcae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We constantly buy her different flavored foods. She only has a few teeth and is thin. She always has fresh dry food but, doesn't really eat it. At times she will lick the gravy of the can food and then walk away. We pile the food up for her as it goes flat. One day she will go to town on a certain flavor and then the next day she sticks her nose up. I guess they are like humans in a lot of ways. She is always in the kitchen to eat because she doesn't fill herself up enough. We are always giving her fresh food throughout the day. She wouldn't let you forget because she hounds you all day long. Even after we feed her she hounds us. There is one family member that she is driving crazy the most. She is about to get rid of her because of this. She is just joking. This person has no time to herself while she is at home.. The cat hounds her morning until night. This has been going on for a few years. She is a trippy cat!! All I can say is wow.. Is there anything nautural or etc to do to make her eat more?

Thank you for any advice.

Lori

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pat gave this wonderful suggestion to me bonito flakes aka kitty caviar ... works well with my 17yr old to get her to eat .. When did kitty last see the vet??

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might want to try and heat it for a few seconds in the microwave - the smell might entise her!!! A good look see from the vet along with a blood test might also be a good idea!!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree...an 18 y.o. cat that is thin and picky on appetite...I can think of several possible causes...time for a vet visit and a senior panel to check thyroid and kidney function!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marcae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the tips. It has been over a year. I will make an appointment soon. She is so funny because we are outside doing yard work and she is sound asleep on the stairs. She is very smart.

Thank you!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely mention her appetite to the vet. They might be able to give you an appetite enhancer. It worked wonders on my kitty!

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wait, u say she only has a few teeth left and you still give her dry food. isnt that kinda mean?,
lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marcae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not in the least bit because a lot of times cats swallow the hard food/bits I have done research on it. Wet food is mostly made out of water( not a lot of nutrition) and they need the hard for nutrition. If they were in the wild they would have to eat what ever comes their way. Thanks for your input.

Lori

sdblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 17 year old siamese seal point who also became very picky on her eating and cried most of the time for food---about identical to what you were going thru. She was losing weight--vet had no idea why....

I tried the Eukanuba cat food for sensitive stomach - and the lamb and rice formula--it is dry food--but I soaked it up and put a few pieces up to 10 in her wet food every day....within 3 days she was back jumping on the furniture, and purring and the crying stopped and constant wanting for food. I keep a bowl of soaked up available at all times and also a separate bowl of it also.

She has gained over a 1-1/2 pounds now---has her beautiful coat back and I have my wonderful companion back. She even wants to walk outside and sit on the step--which she hadn't done in a year.

I have also put my young kitten on the lamb and rice --he gobbles it--and I bought the dog food for my dogs also now--and the ones skin problems have improved greatly.

Good luck --this worked wonders for us!

SDBlondie--Suki (the reigning queen of all pets), Patches, Puddy Kat and Sylvester...(also the 2 dogs--Snickers and Smokey say it tastes great!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SDBlondie

I have a 17 year old siamese seal point who also became very picky on her eating and cried most of the time for food---about identical to what you were going thru. She was losing weight--vet had no idea why....

I tried the Eukanuba cat food for sensitive stomach - and the lamb and rice formula--it is dry food--but I soaked it up and put a few pieces up to 10 in her wet food every day....within 3 days she was back jumping on the furniture, and purring and the crying stopped and constant wanting for food. I keep a bowl of soaked up available at all times and also a separate bowl of it also.

She has gained over a 1-1/2 pounds now---has her beautiful coat back and I have my wonderful companion back. She even wants to walk outside and sit on the step--which she hadn't done in a year.

I have also put my young kitten on the lamb and rice --he gobbles it--and I bought the dog food for my dogs also now--and the ones skin problems have improved greatly.

Good luck --this worked wonders for us!

SDBlondie--Suki (the reigning queen of all pets), Patches, Puddy Kat and Sylvester...(also the 2 dogs--Snickers and Smokey say it tastes great!
May I ask what they were on before??

sdblondie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure--the only food she would eat was Iams lamb and rice canned food and once in a while the Iams chicken formula....

She was having some upset stomach problems also and those have completely diappeared.....

SD Blondie, Suki, Patches, Puddy Kat & Sylvester.