18 Year Old Male Part Maine Coon Has Lost A Lot Of Weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't let him go without food. If he won't eat it on his own then it's time to syringe feed him. My thoughts are with you, Socks and the rest of your family.
The main problem is that he does eat a very small amount and then after a few minutes he throws it up. I getting ready at this moment to be at the vets office when they open at 7:30am. Hopefully she can figure out what's going on with him. Rest assured, I have not given up yet. I do not take his love and affection and friendship lightly. Thanks, Al

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know what your vet says. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for Socks.
We are going to try antibiotics for one week. If there is no difference then will probably have him put down. One of his kidneys is enlarged and there's a mass inside that she couldn't identify without an ultra sound and that's $500 dollars. We don't have that at this time and at his age. That was the vets recommendation. My stomach is in knots over all this mess that's going on. One of my sons lives in Houston that is flooding and the other lives in Victoria where the storm staid over the city for a couple of days. But I'm a worrier. That's what I do. I'll give another update if the antibiotics seem to be working, or not.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's weird but as soon as we got home he walked straight to his regular food and started eating. He hadn't done that since last Thursday. They did give him two shots. One antibiotic and one to help stop the nausea. Since we have been home he has acted like nothing has been bothering him. We'll have to see if that continues after the shot wears off. We are cautiously happy. Maybe he can be around a few more years. She said we should know by the weekend.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your vet gave you such dire news today, Al. You and your kids, the furry ones and the human ones, are all in my thoughts.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Socks did not eat any of his food last night. This morning he ate some food but about 30 minutes later he threw it up.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just ate quite a bit of Turkey and Broth Baby Food. We'll see if he can keep it down. He wanted nothing to do with his regular canned cat food since 3:20am this morning. He gets one pill a day of this...Zeniquin 25mg. Antibiotic.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pedialyte as mentioned is a must now. If you can get raw goats milk it may also make a difference.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
he needs the antinausea meds. Cerenia is probably what they gave him. Ask for sub fluids. The vet tech can do this. I really hope you get some time to prepare. I am so sorry about your family. The cats are beautiful. It's the hardest thing I ever had to do with my girls too. Damn the eyes are leaking..must be dust in the air.

Ask them about Cerenia and sub fluids-it won't cure=but will make him comfortable. You can learn to do both at home. I found injections of Cerenia were MUCH easier than pills. the injection lasts 24 to 48 hours. The pills less. Just my suggestion. HUGS

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We haven't had much luck with the Pedialyte. Regardless of where we put it he snubs his nose at it. I'll ask about Cerenia and see what they say. He hasn't thrown up the Baby Food. He ate almost an entire jar. He has always been picky but now it's over the top. We never know when or what he will reject. He's sleeping now. I'll update any changes. Oh yeah. All of my lids are fine. My sister in Beaumont is still getting tons of rain. The water has come closed to getting into their house then it will recede and do it all over again and again. Thanks everyone.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
baby food is good. each jar has 80 calories- 2 a day at minimum should help. try to get 3 or 4 if you can.

My girls go NUTS for the ham flavor.

My sisters older cat loves KMR. I bought it in a can and she lapped it up-I then took it and mixed it with canned kitten food-she ate it up...cats!

Glad to hear your family is ok.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
baby food is good. each jar has 80 calories- 2 a day at minimum should help. try to get 3 or 4 if you can.

My girls go NUTS for the ham flavor.

My sisters older cat loves KMR. I bought it in a can and she lapped it up-I then took it and mixed it with canned kitten food-she ate it up...cats!

Glad to hear your family is ok.
Thanks. We will try the recipes. they sound good to me. We have the KMR and we will try the Ham flavored baby food.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilbit and Socks on bed.jpg
We made the ultimate decision today. Socks was going downhill just like Lilbit did a year and a half ago. Now brother and sister are playing together again in Heaven. She suffered, he did not. Socks on the right and Lilbit on the left. He was my best buddy and Lilbit was Jan's best buddy. We love you both. We were blessed to have had you as part of our family. Run free!!!....Thanks to everyone's thoughts and prayers.

big al

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Socks and Lilbit WERE the best and this was the second hardest decision that I have ever made. The first was telling the doctor to turn off the life support to my 19 year old son in 1987. In January he will be 50 years old. Now he has Socks and Lilbit to romp with.