18 year old female cat urinating on linoleum floor rather than liter box. Seen by vet, no bladder i

ginnyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18 year old tabby has started urinating on the bathroom floor (linoleum) rather than the box.  I've started cleaning it up as soon as I see it with Natures Miracle for Cats; no change.  I used to clean it with vinegar and baking soda but that was too much work.

I took her into the vet a few days ago and there was no infection showing up on the urinalysis.  He suggested dumping the liter daily to see if that worked, otherwise putting out 5+ liter boxes to see if that worked.

In the past few months when she would miss the box a little, I saw it was because she was standing on the edge of the box and some of it went outside.  In most cases now nothing is going in the box.  

I've tried a lower box.

I haven't changed the liter - I use "World's Best Cat Liter."

The only thing I can think of is that the smell is in the linoleum because there have been times when I just wiped up the urine with water which I know realize left the odor there.  I'm not ready to pull up the linoleum and I don't want to move the box into the other bathroom, MY bathroom.

Not only is this annoying but it's very bad for my back to be on my hands and knees and bending over since I have Osteoporosis.  

I have 2 cats and 2 liter boxes, actually I think there are 3 out now.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ginny

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older cat started doing that. Is your kitty able to squat when she pees? When they get older they can't squat I noticed with my cat that she'd walk into the litterbox and without squatting would pee. It ends up shooting outside the litter box. I had to resort to putting an infant swimming pool in the garage cutting out the front and filling it with litter to solve the problem as it gave enough room to catch everything. Do you have room for a bigger lower litterbox in your bathroom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginnyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the idea about squatting.  I'll try to see what she is doing when she can't see me.  

I have a wonderful (most of the time) small bathroom which is 2 1/5 feet wide barely, by 7 feet long.  If I put anything much bigger in there I won't be able to get by it to clean it, dragging it out would be worse on my back.  

I do understand bigger can be better; maybe I can design something in my mind.

I so appreciate your speedy reply.  This looks to be a great cat website.  

My favorite website of all time (15+ years I've been a computer nut) is GardenWeb, or what used to be called GardenWeb.  I think it's called Houzz now.  It has changed, not for the better but I think it's still quite good.  Take a look there sometime.  Maybe it's because I got so used to how it looked but I find the layout today difficult.  They have discussion about everything you can think of from all kinds of garden topics to cooking, to wonderful computer help, books, finances etc.  That's my gift to you in return for your help with this.

Ginny

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a taller sided clear plastic box, they are $5 at Walmart, and cut the front out so she can get in. That's what I had to do for my oldster like to pee standing up. All the luck!