18.5 Year Old Cat Not Doing Well After Enucleation

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 18.5 year old cat just had an enucleation due to misguided advice given to us by our vet. He is struggling with the recovery, lethargic, weak, and not eating. I am so crushed and feel so guilty.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don’t blame yourself for receiving inaccurate unhelpful advice from your veterinarian. Go forward and help your cat to recover from the surgery and adjust to his new life. Animals do very well with only one eye eye and he will be fine in the end. If he is an indoor outdoor cat, I recommend that you keep him inside for his own safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This, absolutely :vibes::hearthrob::hugs::hearthrob:

Then, the next course of action would be to find a new vet. Either obtain all your cat's clinic paperwork yourself or have the old vet forward it to the new vet.

Find a Cat Friendly Veterinarian
Done already. The place they referred me to is 1 million times better, and I already told them I’m switching to them.

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don’t blame yourself for receiving inaccurate unhelpful advice from your veterinarian. Go forward and help your cat to recover from the surgery and adjust to his new life. Animals do very well with only one eye eye and he will be fine in the end. If he is an indoor outdoor cat, I recommend that you keep him inside for his own safety.
I feel overwhelmingly guilty, even though I had no idea. My biggest worry is not the eye, but the shock of the surgery to his system at 18 years old. he is and has always been an indoor cat and was in phenomenal health for his age and this is just rocked him he has not really eaten since first coming out of surgery the last two days just asleep all day long I am scared that he’ll lose the will to live

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Keep in mind, some of the meds can have a depressive effect on the appetite, and sleep is of course a wonderful healing agent.

That said, don't wait for him to eat. Either with a syringe or with a popsicle stick, begin handfeeding him small amounts of pate style food, and getting room temperature water into him. It's entirely possible he'll bounce back and really surprise you, but he will need a helping hand here at the beginning of his return to health.

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Keep in mind, some of the meds can have a depressive effect on the appetite, and sleep is of course a wonderful healing agent.

That said, don't wait for him to eat. Either with a syringe or with a popsicle stick, begin handfeeding him small amounts of pate style food, and getting room temperature water into him. It's entirely possible he'll bounce back and really surprise you, but he will need a helping hand here at the beginning of his return to health.
He’s not on much. I gave him antibiotics 2x a day. Gave him bupamorophinr in morning but not the evening as he’s been asleep all day. I gave a bit of water and liquid food treat and he wasn’t happy. Acted like I was torturing him. He’s soooo sleepy. I think since we are in day 3 it’s just his body’s reaction more than meds

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Tempt him with anything reasonable that might appeal to him. Was his health okay previously, despite his age? Have you been able to get an appointment with the new vet?
He had fantastic health before this which is why it kills me. I did see the new vet the day after surgery Thursday. And going again Monday. He is narcoleptic. He takes two steps and then goes back to sleep.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think since we are in day 3 it’s just his body’s reaction more than meds
Keep handfeeding him anyway. Cats literally can't go without food for very long or their health begins to seriously decline, and he needs water or he will become dehydrated which is almost as bad.

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep handfeeding him anyway. Cats literally can't go without food for very long or their health begins to seriously decline, and he needs water or he will become dehydrated which is almost as bad.
Should I try to do sub q fluids at home ? Vet is closed over weekend

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are videos of how to do it - do you have the needles et al? Try the skin tent test first to see if he's dehydrated enough to require this.

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are videos of how to do it - do you have the needles et al? Try the skin tent test first to see if he's dehydrated enough to require this.
The tent goes back down. I have insulin syringes I use for his arthritis injection

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine | VCA Animal Hospitals
He sounds very sedated from the after effects of the surgery and the medication. However, that does not mean that he can go without food. You were given sub Q fluids already?
Do you think still sedated even three days on the first day home? He ate like a crazy cat and then the last two days no interest, but no they did not give me sub q fluids. Was just looking online, but they are required prescriptions.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sub Q requires a prescription and if you have not done them before it is slightly better if someone like a vet tech were to show you how to do them. Insulin syringes will not work. If the tent goes back down quickly, it means anecdotally that he is okay.

It could be extreme sedation; can you speak to a vet today while it is still Friday? Or take him in?

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sub Q requires a prescription and if you have not done them before it is slightly better if someone like a vet tech were to show you how to do them. Insulin syringes will not work. If the tent goes back down quickly, it means anecdotally that he is okay.

It could be extreme sedation; can you speak to a vet today while it is still Friday? Or take him in?
I’m in uk. It’s closed now

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any emergency care available over the weekend if he does not start to respond?

stacyann98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any emergency care available over the weekend if he does not start to respond?
I just did the Gabapentin and bupa and gave him 50ml slowly via syringe of water dripping into the mouth. I’m going to let him rest. But tomorrow there is a mobile vet I can ring if needed