17 yr old yowling all night..Help??

Tiggers Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 17 yr old tabby that has been yowling at that just started about a month ago. She is being treated for hyperthyroidism. She's been doing it mostly at night starting at about 9-10pm and does it off and sometimes 20-30 times throughout the night. Drives my husband and I bonkers bc were not sure what to do? Or how to help her stop at night It's so bad that he has to sleep with ear plugs. I get up to help calm her down & then usually goes back to sleep or stays quiet. We've been loosing so much sleep over it. She eats and drinks like normal, although sometimes she drinks a bit more water, uses her litter box; she pees like 6-7 times a day, she does suffer from constipation so goes every other day, takes her medicine in wet food twice a day. More recently She has started to yowl after drinking water sometimes (started a few days ago) She does these 10-30 sleeping intervals and seems to have her sleeping patterns messed up. We even have a night light for up too. Any idea of what it might be?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When was the last time she went to the vet? At the very least it's probably worth a call to them to mention the change in behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiggers Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When was the last time she went to the vet? At the very least it's probably worth a call to them to mention the change in behavior.
She just went a few months ago...recently moved to Florida and did not start until about a month ago. I called her vet from where we were & couldn't come up with an answer why, but said she does not seem to be in pain. Now she did have a stroke 6 months ago but has recovered fully. Once she yowls I pet her and she does stop until she does it again? Behavior issue??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Senior cats often "lose their minds", so to speak. They can get a sort of dementia / senility and just yowl for no apparent reason at all.

You should discuss this with the vet. I'm not sure if there are any medications to treat senility. Try looking through these threads for suggestions:

Tiggers Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg Thank you for the advise. I kind if had a idea that it might be this. Still on thyroid medication and eating more along with being thirsty more as well. Wondering if her dosage needs to be adjusted?? I do also have her on additional supplements for brain support. Some days are better then others for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely take her in for a check up and see if her meds do need adjusting. And, have the more frequent peeing checked out as well. I don't know how you are treating her constipation, but getting something to balance out her stool movements, just in case that is aggravating the situation any. If nothing else, and the vet OKs it, you could try a small, maintenance dose of Miralax and see if that helps.

Feeby (15+ yo) was doing a lot of 'squawking' (she doesn't meow) that she hadn't previously done and I was wondering about senility too. While there is likely some of that going on given her age, a big chunk of it was brought on by her trying to tell me something was wrong. Turns out she had fleas for the first time in her life and it totally freaked her out to the point of bringing on some health issues. Since then, she has quieted down quite a bit. But, I will tell you she learned through that whole ordeal that the squawking gets my attention, and so she still does some of it. Generally, it is for a valid reason (she's hungry, wants pettings/lay on my lap, etc.).

Is it possible to get your girl to sleep with you at night, or at least set up bedding near you? Feeby is most quiet at night but I think that is because she sleeps with me and therefore sees no need to be noisy since I am right there.

Tiggers Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She actually loves to sleep with me but I am on a much smaller bed and she can't fit comfortably. Im moving next month into a nice size apartment and cant wait to bring out my huge bed so she can sleep with us again. I am in the process of getting her to get to have her labs done again and see if thats the issue.